The Book Vipers discussion

Walking the Nile
This topic is about Walking the Nile
Group Read Archive > Group Non-Fiction Read - August 2016 - Walking the Nile - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5463 comments Mod
The discussion thread is now open. Spoilers are allowed on this thread. Don't read on if you haven't finished the book. Can you also unclick the 'Add to my update feed' people don't see your comments in their home screen. Things to consider:

1. Did you like the book?
2. Do you think that the author covers the subject adequately?
3. Do you like the tone and language of the book?
4. Was there any part of the book that was important or significant to you?
5. Have you learnt anything from the book?
6. Has reading this encouraged you to look for other books on the subject?

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Finished this.Really enjoyed it. Lev is a very good writer as well an impressive adventurer. Plenty of dire moments and some tragic scenes. I knew Africa had quite a bloody history but this book shows just how bad the last 100 years have been, place has pretty much been hell since European explorers turned up, to show how bad it has got, there are quite a few locals who considered the British rule the "good ol' days".

I watched the TV series just before reading the book, works out to be a good way of doing things as they compliment each other well.

Annette Jordan | 50 comments Going into this I wasn't sure what to expect, I don't tend to read a lot of travel bios. I was pleasantly surprised and unexpectedly moved by this book.
I thought Lev was very frank in his account of the journey, and didn't gloss over what had to have been some frightening and upsetting moments. While he did briefly describe the history of the areas he was passing through, it was always just enough to add a background and sense of setting to his story, and never so much that it bogged down the telling of the tale. I'd definitely consider reading about another of his travels

message 4: by Jason (last edited Aug 14, 2016 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments his next one is walking the Himalayas. series was good so looking forward to the book.

Annette Jordan | 50 comments Jason wrote: "his next one is walking the Himalayas. series was good so looking forward to the book."
Interesting, I will keep an eye out ...thank you

Ellen Marcolongo | 4 comments Where can I find the TV series?

Ellen Marcolongo | 4 comments Thanks!

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5463 comments Mod
Halfway through this now. Very good far