Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
This topic is about Leviathan Wakes
Archived Group Reads > Leviathan Wakes

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new) - added it

Greg | 812 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the second book of the month, or group read, for July. Please remember to use the spoiler tags where necessary. The other group read topic for this month (The Gods Themselves) can be found here.

message 2: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new) - added it

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Hmm. Just about a month has gone by and nobody else has commented. Not sure if this means readers have been struck speechless by the beauty of the book's prose or if, instead, it has a somnolient effect that makes finishing the book quite a challenege!

Incidentally, if you have written a review of the book on your profile you could always link to it instead of finding ways to repeat what you have said here.

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Hi Greg! Sorry for the late review! Haha. Here we go:

I was hyped for this book since people were always calling it a page-turner. I would agree only in a sense that it was written in a dual-POV manner (Miller's and Holden's) ala-"Children of Time", so that one chapter leaves you with a cliff-hanger then proceeds to a different POV. However, nothing in the book got me really excited. A lot are talking about the book being "action-packed" but personally, I am not looking for action in sci-fi. If I want action, I could've watched a Hollywood film or even read from another genre. What drives sci-fi, at least for me, is that sense of awe and wonder from a revolutionary idea, maybe an alteration or some twists in the law of nature here and there or some far-flung universe unlike our own as well as the attempt to establish or justify the "science" even though it is fictional, thus making the suspension of disbelief minimal. These I got (thankfully!) from reading this month's "The Gods Themselves". Not from here though! It felt that the story could've worked in any other genre, e.g., Mars/Earth/Belters could've been conflicting countries with all the politics that goes with it. In short, the "sci-fi" element felt pushed. The authors (that's right, authors with an S. James S.A. Corey is actually two writers, a fact that seems obvious in the first part of the POV's of the main protagonists, one felt like some detective/mystery fiction set in the future while the other some unending wild-goose chase pretending to be a space opera). A lot of ideas were left hanging or left unexplored, e.g. what the hell is an Epstein drive? What's up with having multiple mothers and fathers? Why is everything on Eros momentarily exempted from the law of inertia? Heck, even the characters reflected the same confusion I had and was left unexplained. To be fair, the book was written with a series in mind so I think they may as well be explained later on in the series. Another thing I didn't like is that the novel just stops right before things get a little interesting, as if this will give you enough justification to go and proceed with the next one. However, having read Book One does not give me enough momentum and impetus to proceed with "Caliban's War". Just because a book is part of an on-going series doesn't mean that it should not stand alone on its own. Unfortunately, this one is an exception.