Indie Authors discussion

Marketing > Bundlerabbit

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments So I joined Bundlerabbit. I have three books there - all short stories/story collections. I did read the TOS (honest) and looked at some of the FAQ. Just a couple of quick question for those experienced among you:

Do I have to have PDF, Mobi and E-pub for all - I assume so but wasn't totally sure.

Also do people come and find the books or do I have to approach curators?

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments yes, you should have all three formats available (and since the "smashwords edition" is no longer needed, I usually download them from Smashword. For some reason the mobi downloaded from D2D is a much bigger file).
And theoretically curators should approach you. I asked the creator of the site if there was a way for authors to contact curators - it's being implemented, but currently you can.
Option 1 - you patiently wait for a curator to contact you (I had 1 request since it was in beta)
Option 2 - you find titles that look good next to yours and become a curator yourself.
I haven't tried option 2 yet, but eventually I will (when the summer heat stops frying my brain, possibly)!

message 3: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Thanks, I'll try that via SW. It's free to join, so wait and see I guess.

message 4: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments OK, next noob question - how does this relate to ISBN? Can I use the smashwords granted one?

message 5: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments So much for that plan. All the older SW books say SW edition and ISBN - so I have to tinker those and then convert (or re-upload). It's the first time I've used Calibre and I suspect I'm doing it wrong as the reader view looks crap. If I download from SW, it's semi OK.

Sigh, I may leave it until another day.
I knew it wasn't going to be as easy as it first appeared.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments mmm... I have uploaded only recent titles and I no longer use ISBNs for e-books, Smashwords's or otherwise... D2D gives them for free, Kobo attributes them anyway, so...
Maybe just re-upload the SW version without the "Smashwords Edition" thingy?

message 7: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments That's what I was doing, pretty much. I'll work through it slowly, although you need ISBN for the premium stores through SW. Or at least that used to be the case.

No idea what mobi and e-pub are supposed to look like as I don't use either directly. I'll keep working on it when I have more energy

message 8: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 815 comments I just uploaded the Smashwords ePub (complete with 'Smashwords Edition' copyright page) and used the Smashwords ISBN. Is this wrong?

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Steph wrote: "I just uploaded the Smashwords ePub (complete with 'Smashwords Edition' copyright page) and used the Smashwords ISBN. Is this wrong?"

I think it's against SW's ToC to use them elsewhere... remove the SW stuff and you're fine! ;) (or if you use also D2D, take the D2D e-pub)

message 10: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments crap. Guess what I'm fixing when I get home.

message 11: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 815 comments Barbara wrote: "...I think it's against SW's ToC to use them elsewhere... remove the SW stuff and you're fine! ;) (or if you use also D2D, take the D2D e-pub)"

But surely Bundle Rabbit is a book-bundling service, not a publisher?

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments yes, it's a book-bundling service, but still... do you really want to resell the Smashwords Edition? Only on the epub and not the mobi? BTW the ISBN is for the epub, so...

ISBN is not compulsory. I'd rather have it under my publisher's banner than as Smashwords Edition... Just sayin...

message 13: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I've given up for now. sw has just decided I have to change the meta data as I use a.l on the cover and full name for account. It has only just noticed this when I uploaded the third novel for the premium catalogue so I had to change my account which has reset all the books back to reviewing for the premium catalogue. If they get refused I may just scream as they were fine until this morning.
can't just download the epub from sw for bundle rabbit as it has ISBN on it, so I had to make a bundle edition and I've yet to get it to convert in calibre properly as the mobi looks weird with formatting all over the place but it's fine on Kindle. I never read mobi directly so I have no idea whether it's supposed to look like that. Hopefully I'll figure it out

message 14: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments To be honest I'm so sick of fighting with the meat grinder every time, even if I do what the guidelines say, or think I do I might check out draft to digital and just keep sw edition only

message 15: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I've used the SW ISBN at a couple of small sites that needed one. So far they have not complained. I would not use it for Amazon or Google Play, but they don't need one anyway.

message 16: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) The worst thing about the meat grinder is not accepting the TOC in Word. When it first appeared, the meat grinder would use Word's TOC, but now you have to use "bookmarks," a pain in the butt.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments that's why I started using Draft2Digital for some (Apple, B&N, since I go direct to Kobo)... less pain in the ... to convert...
And no, Alex, Calibre doesn't do good mobi. I have a Kindle, everytime I do a mobi for a beta-reader it looks yucky! :(

message 18: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Barbara wrote: "that's why I started using Draft2Digital for some (Apple, B&N, since I go direct to Kobo)... less pain in the ... to convert...
And no, Alex, Calibre doesn't do good mobi. I have a Kindle, everytim..."

Mine come out quite good in Calibre, but you have art.

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments no, I don't have art in my novels, and they just come out formatted badly.

BTW, if you go direct to Kobo Writing Life, USUALLY they do a nice, clean epub from your doc (in one case I couldn't make their formatter work and uploaded the Smashwords-generated epub)...

message 20: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Thanks

message 21: by Steve (new)

Steve Vernon (stevevernon) | 1 comments I started setting up my own books today over at BundleRabbit and I'll be slowly getting back into KU.

I'm looking at putting together a bundle or two - probably something horror-related.

message 22: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments if you mean your going to get back into select I think that will exclude you from bundle rabbit

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Steve wrote: "I started setting up my own books today over at BundleRabbit and I'll be slowly getting back into KU.

I'm looking at putting together a bundle or two - probably something horror-related."

Like Alex said - hope you meant KDP! ;)
If you think vampire stories (not too gory but more historical fantasy) could fit in your bundle, check me out! :D

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Reviving this post to let you know that I am now also a curator. Next month my first bundle of fantasy novels will come out (I had requested one of Alex's books, but it wasn't a novel, so I pulled out the request).
If it goes well, I'll do the sci-fi bundle (already have my eyes on Ubiquitous and Steph's books, so be ready! ;p) and then a vampire bundle around Halloween.
There are hundreds of books now and becoming a curator yourself is not that hard. If you want to just be authors, that's fine too. Being in a bundle is a way to cross-pollinate fans.
Any questions, feel free to ask!

message 25: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I am going to look at this again and get someone to help me with the epub. l may as well do the novels as well. I let you know when they are there, of course you are welcome to use them but you do know they are adult?

message 26: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Ok, as of this morning, Tales of Erana, Kitchen Imps and the poetry book are up. I had issues with the formatting again but apparently now looks alright.

I think I'll do the rest this week - I have a vampire story I can submit.

What are their rules on public domain?

I may do adult fantasy, or sexy fantasy collection at some point. Do they allow erotica?

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments No on public domain (it’s in the ToC) :)

As far as erotica, the book must be labeled explicit and the cover must be PG-13.

You can also gather author friends and curate your own bundle...

message 28: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 815 comments Thanks Barb. I should probably get more of my books on there.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments This author explains very well how it works!
https://djmills.wordpress.com/2017/04...
(and yes, she's in my bundle)

message 30: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Thanks, that is helpful. So far I have two of the novels, two of the short story collections and one stand alone.

message 31: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I'm thinking of short fantasy/historical fantasy stories. And maybe an erotica one as the other me.

message 33: by Barbara (last edited Apr 13, 2017 09:40AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments I registered with my real name to get paid, but set up the page as the author...

I mean, as long as the metadata on the BOOK are right, you can have as many pen names as you want...

message 34: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Yeah, worked it out. Now the long wait to see if anyone actually bothers to ask me:)
I may set something up as a curator.

That's the main thing on my 'to do over Easter' done.

message 35: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments A.L. wrote: "Yeah, worked it out. Now the long wait to see if anyone actually bothers to ask me:)

That's why I became a curator, I was sick of waiting, LOL! I'll upload the first bundle on GR over Easter (even though it comes out May 26)... working holidays, haha!

message 36: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I am thinking of doing a bundle for my novels - the first three for less than separately. How does that work on Amazon?

I may set something up for short fantasy stories or novellas. Oh and I'm up for horror, crime or fantasy (I have some for either - although I'll need to upload the short horror and crime.). I may have a historical ghost one soon as well.

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Bundle Rabbit sends to the retailers of your choice besides selling on its own site... just select them (Kobo, Amazon, Apple and B&N)! ;) In fact my first bundle has gone live for pre-order on Kobo, yay!
https://www.kobo.com/it/en/ebook/firs...
Making single-author bundles loses on the crosspollinating of fans, though...

message 38: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I'll probably put feelers out if i get the courage to do it. thanks I'll select the retailers as and when. Thanks for all your help

message 39: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (last edited Jun 23, 2017 11:07AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I now have collaborator status enabled

message 40: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments A.L. wrote: "I now have collaborator status enabled"

Whohooo! Go Alex! It's good for anthologies with many authors! I've seen bundles of short stories, but I'd rather do bundles of novels/novellas and then maybe make an anthology with short stories (i.e. a collaboration)... let me know how it goes...
and if you look for certain kind of stories! :)

message 41: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Thanks. I haven't yet done anything with it. I do have some ideas though

message 42: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Thank you for being a beta-tester of the feature, by the way! ;)

message 43: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (last edited Jun 24, 2017 03:22AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Feel free to list the genres you write below and a brief summary and I'll consider putting something together.

Ideas
non-human fantasy/scifi :so could be elves, aliens, dragons) - main character is not a human being/or is on a mostly non-human world.

Horror
Blood and shadows
So ghosts, vampires, murder stuff.

The arts -
Main character is an artist/musician etc - could have a nice mix of genres.

Mythic-
Mythic style stories - so think folktales, fairy tales, demigods

Actually let me start a new thread.

message 44: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Yay - I got a request for a Sword and Sorc bundle.