Reader's Paradise discussion

काशी का अस्सी (Kashi ka Assi)
Archive > Hindi BR - Kashi Ka Assi by Kashinath Singh

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Current participants :
Pranjali
Gorab

Pranjali | 767 comments I have started 4℅ done, my ebook version doent have page no. Or chapter no. So have to do with ℅

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Sure no problem. I'll start tonight.

Pranjali | 767 comments Okay :)

The language is very rustic and what we call "teth banarasi". The beginning is quite promising, so far so good...

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments theth banarasi!!! Interesting :)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments this is a collection of five stories. so we can easily get rid of % and page numbers:)

I've read the first 10 pages... looks heavy philosophical and interesting. yes the language is crude but authentic!

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments have never been to Benares but seen the ghaat in movies (have you seen Masaan??)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments "देख तमाशा लकड़ी का" पहली कहानी का शीर्षक है।

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

*Raises hand and stands up and answers quickly* I...I...I have seen Masaan.
(Inside voice-"Shut up Arpit! Nobody Asked you")

Pranjali | 767 comments Gorab, you are right about it being philosophical but in a very interesting way, i am loving this so far
me too never been to Benares but have seen it in movies!!
nope not yet seen Masaan, but its on my watch list

@ Arpit- you are welcome to join, without you our BR doesn't feels the same!
*lures Arpit to read the book*

Pranjali | 767 comments Gorab you here?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

He'll be back in some days. Medical emergency.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments All good now :) and I'm back.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments how far you've read Pran? I'll probably restart this... have lost the context

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments and as far i remember it was philosophical and yet practical :P
loving it since first paragraph

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments have read the first story. and the title of second one is "संतों के घर में झगरा भारी"

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments thoughts on देख तमाशा.....
(view spoiler)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments I have finished the second story. Thoughts on संतों के घर में झगरा भारी
(view spoiler)

How much you've read Pran?

Pranjali | 767 comments Finished with first story
The voice is good, also there is humour but I agree it's very random. He changes the topic so fast, it's difficult to keep pace......

Pranjali | 767 comments There should be a flow in the story warna mazak nai aata:/

I too have little political knowledge about that period so couldn't connect much, also politics is not my cup of tea!

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Ya there is no flow. Bhai ek book mein 5 kahaniya hain... atleast ek kahani mein to flow hona chahiye!
But kuch bhi ho the feel of Banaras is there! Ekdam original!

message 22: by विकास (last edited Jul 18, 2016 11:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments Gorab wrote: "Ya there is no flow. Bhai ek book mein 5 kahaniya hain... atleast ek kahani mein to flow hona chahiye!
But kuch bhi ho the feel of Banaras is there! Ekdam original!"

हाँ, काफी रैंडम कहानियाँ लगेंगी लेकिन इसमें किरदार अस्सी घाट है और उसी के हिसाब से कहानियाँ भी बुनी हुई है। अलग अलग वक्त में अस्सी में क्या बदलाव आए उसे दर्शाया है। मुझे तो इतना ही याद है। धुंधला धुधला सा। काफी वक्त हो गया पढ़े हुए। और ये उपन्यास ऐसा है भी नहीं कि इसकी कहानी याद रहे। खाली एक फीलिंग रह जाती है।
इस साल तो नहीं अगले साल शायद इसे पढूंगा।

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Agreed.
Its like living in Assi and just observing.... without trying to establish any story or any connection whatsoever.
Had different expectations.

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments Gorab wrote: "Agreed.
Its like living in Assi and just observing.... without trying to establish any story or any connection whatsoever.
Had different expectations."

Expectations are known to ruin many things :-p :-p

Pranjali | 767 comments Read it without expectations and you will enjoy more. I haven't had any expectation from this book ans I am liking it, the book is odd and direction less but the writing is good.
It's like gossiping with your fav aunty!! ;)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Ha ha ha :) Yes expectations ruins!
Glad you're liking it as much as I would have wanted to ;)
How much you have read Pran?

Pranjali | 767 comments Halfway through second story

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Don't remember the chapter, but there is a dialogue on कार्यक्रम और व्यवस्था !!!! Hilarious!!!

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments This book has so many lovely quotable lines, none captured in GR. I will jot down the ones I loved and will add to the quotes section of this book. And yes, all with high profanities :D

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments yeah, do that. it would be cool.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Pran, I'm on the penultimate story now. Have let go of making any sense and surprisingly started enjoying a bit :)
पांडे कौन कुमति तोहें लागी

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Loved the penultimate.
Thoughts.....
(view spoiler)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments How far you've read? Are you enjoying it?

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments I have completed reading this.

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments Gorab wrote: "I have completed reading this."
Cool... what will you read next???

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments Gorab wrote: "I have completed reading this."
Cool... what will you read next???

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments That's a tough question Vikas :) Lets take it over on the other thread.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Pran, how much you have read KKAssi? Will discuss this once you are done.

Pranjali | 767 comments Completed the book

Its 3 star for me
Loved the essence of authentic language, the stories were alright.

Pranjali | 767 comments How was it for you?

Which part do you liked the best?

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Same pinch Pran. 3 stars for me too! But have marked for a re-read.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments the part about how to make people prisoners in their own home.... basically lot of things in second half of book i enjoyed a lot.
Their songs went above my head.
How about you?
what all you loved? Will you write a review for it?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorab wrote: "But have marked for a re-read."

Re-read!! Why?

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Re-read because :
1. I missed the essence of first part as was conecntrating too much on the random plots.
2. Want to capture so many awesome one-liners and add them as quotes to the book. Plenty of them!
3. Most importantly, gut feeling. I get that feeling that this one should be re-read.

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments Gorab wrote: "Re-read because :
1. I missed the essence of first part as was conecntrating too much on the random plots.
2. Want to capture so many awesome one-liners and add them as quotes to the book. Plenty ..."

go for it. May we can then buddy read it.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Sure thing :) Not this year but.

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments Gorab wrote: "Sure thing :) Not this year but."
Yeah, probably next year. This year I'll be reading रेहन पर रघु by him.

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments First time or a re-read?

विकास नैनवाल | 151 comments Gorab wrote: "First time or a re-read?"
First time

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorab wrote: "Re-read because :
2. Want to capture so many awesome one-liners and add them as quotes to the book. Plenty ..."

Okay, now I get it.

« previous 1