I Read Comic Books discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 669 (669 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 576 comments Mod
Please introduce yourself! Tell us who you are, where you're from, what kinds of comics you like to read, and anything else you'd like to share.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Hi! My name's Kate. I'm from Michigan and read mostly Image comics right now, but am always looking for new titles and creators to try.

message 3: by Tia (new)

Tia | 15 comments Hi! I'm Tia. I read mostly Image and Marvel titles. My favorite is The Wicked + The Divine. I work at Comixology. I live in New York during the week and Williamstown, MA on weekends.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianhead) | 30 comments Hey there, I'm Brian- I also live in Michigan, and I'm a big Marvel comics fan (though Image is also up there). I am inordinately fond of Spider-Whomever books.

message 5: by Gabriella (last edited Jul 10, 2016 05:51PM) (new)

Gabriella Elisabeth (gabriellaelisabeth) | 8 comments Hello, I'm Gabi and from Long Island. I've been reading the Fables:Wolf Among Us series recently and been loving it.

message 6: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Jul 10, 2016 09:36AM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 639 comments Mod
Hiya! I'm Mike (the host of IRCB). I'm a big X-Men fan, but have move away from most other Marvel things (save Moon Knight). I read a lot of Image books and dabble a bit in Valiant and Boom! books as well!

I live in New York and work at comiXology (with Tia!).

message 7: by Rinn (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) Hello, I'm Rinn!

I mostly read Marvel, but I'm also a big fan of any comics that involve my two favourite games, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

I also really want to read the Lumberjanes and Nimona, because Noelle Stephenson is amazing!

message 8: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I write under the name Wayland Smith. I have read comics since the late 80's. I review comic book/hero based tv shows and movies, and some comics, on various sites. I read a bit of everything, finally coming back to DC after Rebirth seems to be undoing most of the things I loathed from the dreaded reboot. I also read Marvel and a good bit of Dynamite.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments Hi! I'm Paul, and I've been a DC fan for as long as I can remember. These days I mainly read DC and Image titles, but I am always trying to expand my horizons. I usually gravitate towards creators with unique or unconventional art styles and are willing to play with the possibilities of the comics medium.

I think O.M.AC. #1 by Jack Kirby is the greatest comic book ever published.

message 10: by Cupcakes & Machetes (last edited Jul 11, 2016 04:00PM) (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) Hello everyone! I'm Hybrid and I'm also from Michigan so I think you guys might be stalking me. :P
Let me put it out there that I don't read comic books on a regular basis but I do enjoy them.
As a teenager I read a lot of Johnny the Homicidial Maniac, SQUEE!, Gloomcookie, Lenore and Army of Darkness.
Then I was heavily into Army of Darkness and the World of Warcraft comics.
Tank Girl is one of my all time favorites and I'm currently reading Fight Club 2.
I really should bring more comics into my life so maybe this will be the motivation that I need. ^_^

message 11: by kaitlphere (new)

kaitlphere | 228 comments Mod
Hi, I'm Kait. I also live in Michigan. I typeset print books (mostly academic and trade in prose form). I love short arcs, mostly from Image and Boom! Box, but I am also following Saga, Giant Days, and a few other continuing storylines.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 9 comments Hi, I'm Christina. I live in California. I read all sorts of comics across the board. If a story looks interesting to me I will pick it up. I most recently picked the first Saga trade and am excited to get into that. My comics reading sort of waned in my early 30s mostly b/c I was running out of room and it can be a sort of expensive hobby, but I have slowly been getting back into it, so I am excited for this group to introduce me to new books and new people!

message 13: by Crumpets&Arsenic (new)

Crumpets&Arsenic | 24 comments Hello! I'm Crumpets&Arsenic (or Crumpet for short works too.) :P
I'm also from Michigan. I enjoy all sorts of comics. Whether it's something from the big 2 or any sort of indie comic, if it has a great story and art I'm a happy camper. Looking forward to chatting with all of you!

message 14: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 5 comments Hi! My name is Lindsey & I'm from the Greater Philadelphia Area. I tend to lean towards Marvel & Image titles. :)

message 15: by Dianna (new)

Dianna | 4 comments Hi everyone, my name is Dianna and I'm in the Lansing MI area. My comics taste vary widely. I've noticed of late that I'm buying fewer and fewer DC titles and more marvel. I also like Image and other independent titles. My dream is to one day work in comics, other than as a reviewer. I think I'd make a great letterer, and I feel that job is underrated. Looking forward to reading comics with you all.

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 9 comments Dianna wrote: "Hi everyone, my name is Dianna and I'm in the Lansing MI area. My comics taste vary widely. I've noticed of late that I'm buying fewer and fewer DC titles and more marvel. I also like Image and oth..."

I agree with you Dianna. Letterer is a totally underrated job. That is kind of something I have always wanted to do, too. :)

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Hi, I'm Phil. I live in Wisconsin. I read pretty much any type of comic. Lately I feel like I've been following creators rather than specific series. I had a long hiatus from comics and just got back into them in the last couple years.

Mostly I have been reading trades from Image and Marvel, some from First Second, and I am just getting into Valiant.

message 18: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Welcome Phil. It's a small group, but growing. Hope you have fun with the discussions.

message 19: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Welcome Phil! I'm the IRCB host. Thanks for joining!

message 20: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Welcome Stephen!

message 21: by Kate (new)

Stephen wrote: "Whats up everyone my name is Stephen, mostly i have been reading Marvel and DC but lately i have been really into comics from Image."

Welcome to the group Stephen! I read a lot of Image as well :)

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen Hey I'm Jen :) I'm currently working my way through the last 8-10 years of Marvel events in the last year. I read others but mostly Marvel and other female-led titles. Loving the newest run of Spiderwoman, straight up! I'm from Illinois and I'm a librarian.

message 23: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Jen wrote: "Hey I'm Jen :) I'm currently working my way through the last 8-10 years of Marvel events in the last year. I read others but mostly Marvel and other female-led titles. Loving the newest run of Spid..."

Welcome, Jen. Librarians are awesome! I'm really liking Ms. Marvel and the new Thor, which sounds like they're up your alley.

message 24: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Welcome Jen! I'll second Ms. Marvel and Thor. The Spider-Gwen series is interesting if you haven't picked that up yet either.

message 25: by Kate (new)

Jen wrote: "Hey I'm Jen :) I'm currently working my way through the last 8-10 years of Marvel events in the last year. I read others but mostly Marvel and other female-led titles. Loving the newest run of Spid..."

Thanks for joining Jen! I read a lot of female-led titles too. Which one has been your favorite so far?

message 26: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Jen wrote: "Hey I'm Jen :) I'm currently working my way through the last 8-10 years of Marvel events in the last year. I read others but mostly Marvel and other female-led titles. Loving the newest run of Spid..."

Hey Jen! Welcome to the group! Thanks for introducing yourself. :D

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather Herron (hedderbadgerton) | 5 comments Howdy! I'm Heather! I'm from Texas but currently living in the northern most city in Alaska. My uncle raised me on comics so I have a soft spot for DC and anything by Neil Gaiman. I'm currently really digging the Fables series and Saga. There is no comic shop and my only resource for comics is internet and when I venture down to Anchorage or the lower 48.

message 28: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Welcome to the group, Heather. Sounds like you're way out there up North. More power to you, too cold for me, I must admit.

message 29: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Welcome! I hope you haven't read 30 Days of Night! :P

message 30: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 5 comments Hello my name is Joshua
I've been reading comics religiously for about four years now. I read mostly DC but I also read a lot of independent comics. Some of my favorite are Chew, Nailbiter and bloodshot. I don't read to much marvel but I am starting to more. I also read star wars novels. I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Joshua wrote: "Hello my name is Joshua
I've been reading comics religiously for about four years now. I read mostly DC but I also read a lot of independent comics. Some of my favorite are Chew, Nailbiter and bloo..."

Welcome to the group Joshua! What's your favorite DC title? Right now, mine is Batman.

message 32: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 5 comments My favorite right now are Detective comics, Action comics and Superman. It's crazy because I haven't really enjoyed many superman books.

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Joshua wrote: "My favorite right now are Detective comics, Action comics and Superman. It's crazy because I haven't really enjoyed many superman books."

Is that the Gene Yang Superman? I've heard a bit about that one and have been tempted to pick it up.

message 34: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 5 comments Phillip wrote: "Joshua wrote: "My favorite right now are Detective comics, Action comics and Superman. It's crazy because I haven't really enjoyed many superman books."

Is that the Gene Yang Superman? I've heard ..."

Phillip wrote: "Joshua wrote: "My favorite right now are Detective comics, Action comics and Superman. It's crazy because I haven't really enjoyed many superman books."

Is that the Gene Yang Superman? I've heard ..."

Im liking the curret rebirth titles of these books.

message 35: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Welcome Lurgi! Thanks for joining the group. I've been meaning to try to read more European comics -- Where should I start (with English translated books)?

message 36: by Kate (new)

Iurgi wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm new to the group so I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I work as a librarian, a career change after some years of teaching. I read mostly Marvel, inclu..."

Neil Gaiman and Marvel's Star Wars are some of my favorites as well! I hadn't really thought about it before, but I can't think of a single comic I've read that wasn't American, Canadian, or British. I really appreciate the list of suggestions to broaden my horizons! Thank you, and welcome to the group :)

message 37: by Axel (new)

Axel | 15 comments Hello. My name is Axel and I'm a librarian.

I am currently reading and re-rereading the Valérian and Laureline series in anticipation of the movie.
Last American comic I read was Poorly Drawn Lines.

message 38: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Welcome Axel. Librarians are some of my favorite people, so thank you for what you do. Welcome to the group.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Welcome to the group Axel! I think you're out second librarian :)

I LOVE Poorly Drawn Lines! It's been my favorite web comic for ages, so I was really excited when it finally got a print edition.

message 40: by Axel (new)

Axel | 15 comments Kate wrote: "Welcome to the group Axel! I think you're out second librarian :)

I LOVE Poorly Drawn Lines! It's been my favorite web comic for ages, so I was really excited when it finally got a print edition."

It was a present so I had no idea. It seems like a hybrid of Dilbert and The Far Side. The most fun I've read this year.

message 41: by Ryan Lowery (new)

Ryan Lowery Hello, all. By way of introduction, my name is Ryan and I live in Colorado Springs, CO (born and raised). I am new to the comic book/graphic novel world and, relatively speaking, very late to the game (mid-40s, father of three). This past summer, my son and I attended the Denver Comic Con and, long story short, I was hooked - not only the comics themselves but the whole comic book community. It was tremendous.

I have been looking for a group where I can get my comic fix and, at the same time, have an opportunity to discuss the books.

Looking forward to digging in and learning more about the genre along the way.

Happy New Year!

message 42: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Ryan wrote: "Hello, all. By way of introduction, my name is Ryan and I live in Colorado Springs, CO (born and raised). I am new to the comic book/graphic novel world and, relatively speaking, very late to the g..."

Welcome aboard! What have been your favorites so far?

message 43: by Kate (new)

Ryan wrote: "Hello, all. By way of introduction, my name is Ryan and I live in Colorado Springs, CO (born and raised). I am new to the comic book/graphic novel world and, relatively speaking, very late to the g..."

Welcome Ryan! What a great way to get into comics. What types have you liked so far?

message 44: by Ryan Lowery (new)

Ryan Lowery Phillip wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Hello, all. By way of introduction, my name is Ryan and I live in Colorado Springs, CO (born and raised). I am new to the comic book/graphic novel world and, relatively speaking, very ..."

Interestingly, I haven't read many superhero comics - I am a bit overwhelmed trying to find a good "entry point." Although, I did read a bit of the current Batman series (Tom King) and it's terrific.

Beyond that, I am working on and have really enjoyed Chew, Southern Bastards, Velvet and Lazarus (to name a few). I am also following the current Moonshine and Mother Panic series. Both have been great so far.

Any tips for additional reading would be great!

message 45: by Kate (new)

Ryan wrote: "Interestingly, I haven't read many superhero comics - I am a bit overwhelmed trying to find a good "entry point." Although, I did read a bit of the current Batman series (Tom King) and it's terrific.

Beyond that, I am working on and have really enjoyed Chew, Southern Bastards, Velvet and Lazarus (to name a few). "

Velvet and Lazarus are two of my favorites! Since you like those, you'd probably also enjoy Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends (also from Image).

For getting into superhero comics, it's a lot easier to start with single hero books (like Batman) than team books (like X-Men). I always recommend Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon, Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Blood and Batman, Volume 1: The Court of Owls to readers just starting out.

I also recommend keeping an eye on what creators you're enjoying and looking for more of their work instead of focusing exclusively on which characters you're enjoying. For example, if you like King's Batman, you should check out his incredible The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man. Even the best characters and teams have entire arcs/runs that are downright unreadable so, at least in my experience, looking for good creators tends to be a better way of finding great reads.

Be sure to keep us posted over on the "what are you reading right now" forum about what you find!

message 46: by Simon (new)

Simon (siid) Hello fellow Comic-Book-aficionados,

I’m Simon from rural Austria (Tyrol to be more specific) and I started reading comics / graphic novels back in the late 90`s when I had to do my basic military service. One of my favourite comic book series back then was the whole Batman: No Man’s Land story arc.

Some of my favourite Comics in the last couple of years were Y:The Last Man, Watchmen, Maus, Lazarus, Wytches and even the wholeMarvel: Civil War story arc (even though I never really liked Marvel in the first place (still am not entirely convinced).

I look forward to some interesting discussions on comics and for suggestions what to read in the future.

message 47: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Simon wrote: "Hello fellow Comic-Book-aficionados,

I’m Simon from rural Austria (Tyrol to be more specific) and I started reading comics / graphic novels back in the late 90`s when I had to do my basic military..."

Welcome Simon! Sounds like you have a solid start for reading. Thanks for joining!

message 48: by Ryan Lowery (new)

Ryan Lowery Kate- Thanks for the suggestions! I actually just ordered The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man - I've heard great things and really look forward to reading this one.

message 49: by Kate (new)

Ryan wrote: "Kate- Thanks for the suggestions! I actually just ordered The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man - I've heard great things and really look forward to reading this one."

No problem! Vision was hands down my favorite series of 2016. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

message 50: by Kate (new)

Simon wrote: "Hello fellow Comic-Book-aficionados,

I’m Simon from rural Austria (Tyrol to be more specific) and I started reading comics / graphic novels back in the late 90`s when I had to do my basic military..."

Thanks for joining Simon! It's always nice to meet more Wytches fans :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14