Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > September Classic Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss as a group in September (beginning September 1.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 2000 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. We also read one or more short stories each month; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for September. Zelazny's Jack of Shadows has already been selected as our August Classic Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Sunday, July 16, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I'd like to nominate Shards of Honor, the first of the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. It would probably be my first Bujold book so it would be great to have buddies to read together.

message 3: by Emmanuelle (new)

Emmanuelle | 44 comments I hope I didn't miss it in the book Shelf, so I'd like to nominate The Stress of Her Regard. I loved this book, it was my first reading from Tim Powers. I hesitate with another title but I'll keep it for another time! ;)

message 4: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I also quite liked that book, very interesting take on the vampire genre. With poets.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder Reminder: Today is the final day to nominate a Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our September group read and discussion.

message 6: by Silvana (last edited Jul 16, 2016 11:41PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I apologize for having to withdraw my nomination of Shards of Honor since apparently the Kindle version is not available in my country.

If I could change my nomination to The Gunslinger then it would be great! Always wanted to read this one and a movie adaptation is coming out next year too.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2283 comments I'll nominate Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson. It's a lot shorter, easier, & better reading than The Broken Sword, the other fantasy we've read by Anderson, IMO. I see that it is now listed as 2.5 of the "Other World" series, but I always thought it was a stand alone novel. I think it was since he wrote it well before the others. Anyway, it's a great read, an epic quest by a modern man who finds himself in strange land filled with magic.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 17, 2016 07:45PM) (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for September (starting September 1) is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that this is our discussion selection for September. Zelazny's Jack of Shadows has already been selected as our August Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Sunday, July 24.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
I'm late reporting that our Classic SF/F novel discussion for September will be...

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The discussion will begin September 1.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.