Our Shared Shelf discussion

May—The Argonauts (2016) > Many-Gendered Mothers and Queer Family

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Grace | 28 comments I'm just getting my hands on this novel—quite late, I know!—and it's given me a great deal to chew on, even just halfway through.

The concept that Nelson covered which touched me deepest thus far was her coverage of what Dana Ward coined "the many-gendered [what a great double-meaning!] mothers of my heart", supplemented by her discussion of the "queer family," made up of those who "[partake] in a long history of queers reconstructing their own families," regardless of whether they themselves identify as queer.

It reminded me of my favorite film, The Birdcage, and how I've always tried to build my own little family in the appreciation of the love Armand and Albert share for Val.

Did anyone else have any particularly visceral reaction to these bits? Any touching stories of families created?

message 2: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments In sociology it is distinguished between between many different forms of family.

Now, I believe it is about commitment, and about love. A belief in the same values, and helping (or at least accept) your significant other to help achieve their goals.