Play Book Tag discussion

Not My Father's Son
This topic is about Not My Father's Son
July 2016: Biography Memoir > Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ladyslott | 1880 comments You probably know Alan Cumming from his Tony winning role as the MC in Cabaret and his Emmy nominated role as Eli Gold in The Good Wife. What you probably don’t know, as I didn’t until reading this book, is that Cumming had a brute for a father and lived in fear of the man for all of his childhood.

Cumming narrates the story of his life in alternating chapters, called Then and Now. The Then focus on his growing up with his tyrant of a father whose family lived in fear of him, in particular Alan who seemed to bear the brunt of his father’s anger. The Now section deals with his adult life; finding his true self in acting and eventually a happy marriage to his husband Grant. It also focuses on Alan’s experience with the show Who Do You Think You Are?; a TV show where he learns about his genealogical roots and quite a few family secrets.

Cumming has a real talent for writing and this book reads more like you are sitting in the bar having a drink with a friend. He asks “Did I Ever Tell You About…” and then telling you story after story and you are hooked on every single word. It’s just mesmerizing, the good and the bad. I savored every moment of this book.

I highly recommend the audio, read by the author. He’s a wonderful reader and listening to that beautiful Scottish burr makes it all the more captivating.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I've had his on my TBR for a while. I do love him and have contemplated listening to this as an audio. I heard him (I think on NPR) reading a part of it

LibraryCin | 8938 comments I've specifically added the audio to my tbr. Thanks, Linda!

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3831 comments Didn't know that Alan Cumming had a memoir!!?? Onto the TBR it goes.