Play Book Tag discussion

The Girls
This topic is about The Girls
Archive: Other Books > The Girls - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ladyslott | 1880 comments The Girls is a book that is clearly based on the Charles Manson ‘family’ murders in 1969. And while that may be the basis for the book, for me this story is clearly about the title: The Girls. It is not just a rehash of a terrible crime but instead presents the story of girls and how they are marginalized, ignored, unseen, unloved and unheard.

The story is told through the eyes of Evie Boyd at two different points in her life; a middle-aged adult looking backwards with regret at the summer that changed her life, when she was14 years old and distanced from everything she knows. Her parents are divorced and caught up in their own lives. Evie has had a falling out with her best friend; it’s summer time and Evie has many lonely hours to fill. One day Evie has a chance encounter with Suzanne and is brought into the fold of a cult-like group of people who are followers of Russell, a sociopath who has complete control of the group - especially the girls. Soon Evie is involved in drugs and sex, completely under Russell’s spell and all hell is about to break loose.

I really liked this book, although I have some minor complaints. First and foremost although the book takes place in the 60’s it didn’t have that sixties vibe for me. I was 17 years old in 1969 and except for the cult setting and a a lot of drugs it really didn’t speak to the time frame for me. Secondly I was disappointed in not really knowing what happened in the years between Evie in the past and the adult Evie. For these reasons I did not rate it 5 stars. That said, I think Emma Cline is an author to watch. I enjoyed her writing style, I think it suited the way a teen might think and speak. I read this book through in two days time and look forward to seeing what she does next.

Susie | 4488 comments I agree. I really enjoyed it and also read it in two days.