Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - July & Beyond 2016 Literary Exploration

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I added this for July through end of 2016 since the group is mostly focused on the challenges but it's still nice to see what everyone is reading. Please add your currently reading, just finished!

message 2: by M.L. (last edited Jul 09, 2016 08:53AM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I'll start! I'm reading The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy. It's been on my to reads forever. I'm enjoying it. I'm now thinking of reading something (nonfiction) about submarines!

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin I am currently double fisting it with Game of Thrones book 1 for the second time through and Outlander book 1.

message 4: by Franky (new)

Franky I'm reading The Hired Man and The Illustrated Man right now. After that, I might read In a Glass Darkly.

message 5: by Pam (last edited Jul 19, 2016 10:51AM) (new)

Pam | 63 comments The Color of Water
Ms. Marvel #1 No Normal
The House at the Edge of Night
Look Homeward Angel
Cemetery Road
When I'm Gone
A Spool of Blue Thread

message 6: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I finished The Hunt for Red October and enjoyed it so much I'm now reading Patriot Games - just started it but it's pretty exciting!

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin I also enjoyed "Without Remorse" and "Rainbow Six" from Tom Clancy. Jack Ryan makes an appearance but these are focused on John "Kelly" Clark. I should read the Ryan books too. Thanks for sharing!

message 8: by M.L. (last edited Jul 18, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Maybe I'll check into those titles as well after I finish Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. Red October has a lot of detail and I found submarine warfare -- or in this case a cat and mouse game -- really interesting. It's high tech for the time, but still largely done blind. In its own right, the submarine 'battle'/subterfuge is as interesting as anything I've read about air battle. Maybe more so. Reading about a nuclear sub meltdown was pretty intense. The descriptions put the reader right there--or close enough!

I enjoyed Game of Thrones. Great alternating perspectives!

message 9: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I finished Patriot Games - a 'could not put it down' book. Before I jump into the next one will read a couple of shorter books. Currently reading The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov.

message 10: by DDS (new)

DDS (thesunshine) I'm reading A Brief History of Seven Killings, but I recently got a delivery of a book I've wanted to read for a long time: David Walsh's A Bone of Fact. I might just leave 'A Brief History of Seven Killings' aside for a month or so while I dive straight into that one...

message 11: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I just finished Nemesis by Agatha Christie, crime club read. Then read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, an unexpected read I wasn't planning on. Now reading Clear and Present Danger by Tom Clancy.

message 12: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V I just finished reading The Vegetarian. Very different kind of book & completely engrossing.The blurb doesn't really tell you much about the story, rather it misleads a little. The story is from different points of view. Till the end I couldn't fathom where it was going, till the last line in fact. And I turned the page over thinking there's more. Beautifully written. Thought provoking. Huge thanks to the translator.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz this year i am continuing the genre challenge on my own and have read some fab books so far. just finished The Funhouse and hope to start The Maze Runner today if the rugby doesnt get in the way

message 14: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I just finished Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith. It was a group read for the Mystery Crime group. I enjoyed it. It's been on my TBR for a long time so glad I got around to finally reading it.

message 15: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne I read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Sad but well written even though it's a middle grade/YA book.

This list brings back some memories. I devoured the A Song of Fire & Ice series AKA Game of Thrones .

I recently read the 3rd in the The Maze Runner series and was not impressed.

I should read more of the Gorky Park series. I read the first one after the movie came out back in 1983. I can't remember if I read more.

Tried to read The Hunt for Red October years ago but it was too technical for me.

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam | 63 comments SALT HOUSES by Hala Alyan; SHADOWLAND by Elizabeth Kostova; QUICKSAND BY Malin Gioligo; NEWS OF THE WORLD by Paulette Jiles; THE CURIOUS CHARMS OF ARTHUR PEPPER by Phaedra Patrick; BRITT-MARIE WAS HERE by Frederick Backman. Everyone of the books were rated 4 or 5.

message 17: by Ana (new)

Ana Veciana-Suarez | 1 comments I'm about to start on Salt Houses too

message 18: by Brig (new)

Brig (brig_berthold) | 10 comments I'm about to finish "Les Misérables" by Victor Hugo. I plan to read "The Baseball Codes" by Jason Turbow and "56: Joe DiMaggio and thd last magic number in sports" by Kostya Kennedy.

message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam | 63 comments Just finished FATES AND TRAITORS, Jennifer Chiaverini (It's about the life of John Wilkes Booth and family right up to the end of his life). Very good.

message 20: by Franky (new)

Franky Currently reading Black Water Lilies for a Crime and Thriller Group.