Pleasant Valley Library Online Book Group discussion

Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War
This topic is about Grunt
Book of the Month > July Book - Grunt

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Courtney | 300 comments Mod
Post your thoughts about Grunt here!

message 2: by Courtney (last edited Jul 20, 2016 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Some spoilers ahead:
So far I am about halfway through this book, and I love it. Mary Roach is a great writer. I have to confess that I'm not really a fan of books on war so I was really unsure about whether I would enjoy this book. But I've found that this book isn't about war, it's more about the side effects of war. I've learned a lot of interesting facts while reading this book. For example, in one of the chapters, Roach talks about how a lot of veterans suffer from hearing loss after they come home. This is something I've never thought about, but makes perfect sense. Another part I've found very interesting is where Roach describes the simulated training medics have to go through. This part made me anxious just reading about it, so I have a ton of respect for what medics are required to do in combat. Is anyone else enjoying the book?

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Silvernail | 1 comments I usually like reading Mary Roach (Stiff especially) but this book not so much. It is because the topic is related to war and it illustrates how the war machine drives the economy. All the little industries that crop up due to war...will keep men interested in fighting wars-so I am reading the book because Mary wrote it-but not enjoying it.

Laura wrote: "I usually like reading Mary Roach (Stiff especially) but this book not so much. It is because the topic is related to war and it illustrates how the war machine drives the economy. All the little i..."

Hi Laura,

I agree with you on the war industries. I don't think that's a good thing at all. I'm kind of trying to ignore that and look at the "sciencey" parts because I find those fascinating. But it makes me sad to think that all of these awesome things are being developed and invented just so we can hurt other people more. Do you think you will finish the book?

I have to say that overall, I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't my favorite by Mary Roach (I think Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers and Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife are better), but it was a worthwhile read. While I was reading the book, I heard an interview on the radio with Mary Roach about Grunt. You can check out the recording here. It was really interesting to listen to her talk about everything she learned while researching the book, and you can tell (both through he writing and the interview), that she's a very curious and passionate person.