Play Book Tag discussion

The Perfume Garden
This topic is about The Perfume Garden
Archive: Other Books > The Perfume Garden - Kate Lord Brown - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 834 comments This book spans several generations of several families. Most of the story takes place in Spain either during the Spanish Civil War or in the the after 2001. There is a question Emma Temple has regarding her family and heritage that her grandmother is reluctant to answer. Her own mother has passed away and left her a house in Spain. After Emma moves into this home secrets start to unfold. The author tries to be authentic in her writing of Spain during the war when the deaths, the brutality and the inclusion of women fighters and international humanitarian nurses. Emma is in the perfume industry and trying to start a new business after she relocated from London to Spain where the effects of the war still linger. Her relationships with her family and others in her life are examined in an interesting manner. There are many connections. Besides Emma, I also found Freya, Charles and Rosa to be intriguing. And the descriptions of her new home and the town of Valencia are charming.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments I used to love multi-generational, historical stories . . .but I haven't read one in awhile that has grabbed me. Have you read any James Michener? When your little ones are grown up, you might consider giving him a try . . .