Play Book Tag discussion

The Girls
This topic is about The Girls
Archive: Other Books > The Girls - Emma Cline - ★★★★

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I have landed on the 'I loved The Girls' side of the fence. I REALLY enjoyed the writing style in this debut novel. It had me captured from page one. I know the sentence fragments bother some, but I didn't even notice them as I was so invested in the book. I enjoyed the raw nature of the descriptions used by Cline to create an eerie atmosphere.

Evie looking backward at her involvement in the Manson-like cult and the murder explored her yearning to belong in the face of a family life where her parents had separated and didn't seem to have much time to give her while they were finding themselves. Enter Suzanne, an imperfect young woman who Evie sees as perfect in her own mind, overlooking faults and slights to protect the crumbs of affection and attention that she is thrown.

Concurrent to reliving the story, Evie has an encounter with a similarly displaced young woman and it is as if she is seeing herself as she was during her time with the cult, and is able to see the mistakes that this young woman is making because she made them herself. I appreciated a glimpse into Evie's present and how her time with the cult, and the events that led to their separation, have had a lasting effect upon how she expereinces the world.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Such a good book.

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments So many good reviews recently. I think this needs to be bumped to the top of my pile to read. You know, right after I finish the other 4 books I am currently reading.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3832 comments Finally put this on hold at the library. Just waiting for 64 people ahead of to read it first, lol!

Anita Pomerantz | 6675 comments YAY! Glad we were on the same page on this one, Susie! Which we usually are, but you know after the whole The Secret History debacle, I get nervous.

Susie | 4488 comments There was The Golem and the Jinni fiasco too, but I say we just overlook those two. ;-)

Anita Pomerantz | 6675 comments Susie wrote: "There was The Golem and the Jinni fiasco too, but I say we just overlook those two. ;-)"

Ha ha ha, DEAL!