Indie Authors discussion

Smashwords > TOC grumble

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (last edited Jul 09, 2016 03:07AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I hate formatting for SW. The meat grinder is a p in the a for some things. So I upload the manuscript - no TOC. It whines about the TOC - which apparently has some lines that don't work - so why as there isn't one do some work and some not.
Anyway I cave and put one in. And it doesn't like that either. Apparently word's TOC isn't compatible.

Honestly - do I need one? It's a novel.

Anyone now it's accepted it again - let's see if it goes through to the premium catalogue.

Gah.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1406 comments Yeah, it can be frustrating the silly little things it sometimes picks up on.

Hope it works now.

message 3: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Will see.

On the plus side I found a couple of typos and fixed them. Pesky little blighters

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1406 comments Sneaky typo fairies!

message 5: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments They are indeed.

message 6: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I sent you a voucher,

For anyone else it's currently 50% off with code SSW50 at checkout
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1406 comments A.L. wrote: "I sent you a voucher,

For anyone else it's currently 50% off with code SSW50 at checkout
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view..."

Thanks... You're awesome!

message 8: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 814 comments Some ePub markets request that books have proper TOCs - I think Smashwords adds a very basic one if it's missing. The default MS-Word one isn't the same thing. You have to add book marks and a contents page with hyperlinks...

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments A.L. wrote: "I hate formatting for SW. The meat grinder is a p in the a for some things. So I upload the manuscript - no TOC. It whines about the TOC - which apparently has some lines that don't work - so why a..."

Follow the instructions in Word for creating a linked TOC (it uses bookmarks).

If you have chapter titles instead of numbers, that's what it's picking up on.

message 10: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) | 29 comments Follow the instruction book (each and every step - some of it won't apply, but reading it will confirm that for you and you can more on) that Smashwords provides free. I have uploaded seven books on Smashwords over the years, all but one is fiction. One time I had an error. I had overlooked a step I knew I needed to do. Quick fix - straight through to premium. There really are good reasons for how things are done. It can be tedious, but also thrilling to upload and receive no auto vetter errors. This is far easier than writing the book. You can do this.

message 11: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Yeah, I'll see if it goes through this time. I have the free book, and found a nice chap on FB who helped me. I was trying to be lazy - that worked soooo well....

message 12: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) | 29 comments :)