The Armchair Traveler's Club discussion

A Rose for Emily and Other Stories
8/16 - Northern America > A Rose for Emily & stories* discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 682 comments I read A Rose for Emily in school, but it's been many years, looking forward to refreshing my memory.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 682 comments Wow great description! Now I can't wait!

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 682 comments MURDER

Southern Gothic is a subgenre of Gothic fiction in American literature that takes place in the American South.

Common themes in Southern Gothic literature include deeply flawed, disturbing or eccentric characters who may or may not dabble in hoodoo,[1] ambivalent gender roles, decayed or derelict settings,[2] grotesque situations, and other sinister events relating to or stemming from poverty, alienation, crime, or violence.

message 4: by Ruth (last edited Jul 25, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

Ruth | 682 comments I love this genre and agree with Monica, Faulkner's character descriptions are fantastic. He not only describes the character, but sets the stage at the same time.

In the first page of The Hound, the author casually mentions that the protagonist didn't wear his shoes except for in extreme weather. This clearly paints a picture of poverty and earthy living in a warm climate. This small statement leads the reader to ask what kind of a person is that? The author is freed from detailing his character's situation as the reader's imagination is drawn in to do the work.

Having enjoyed many books and movies of the Southern Gothic genre leads me to believe there is something beautiful, mysterious and undefined dwelling in the American South. I want to take my pickup camper there to experience it, but if I heard a bump in the night I'd be more than usually nerve ridden! Perhaps I need to get a Charley of my own.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 682 comments I finished Turn About today and found it a bit confusing!

In the beginning of the story I'm certain the detailed account of the sailors clothing was intended to convey some sense of what kind of a person he was, however I understood so few of the words that effect was lost.

I intend to do some research, I'm not certain if the words were unfamiliar because of the great stretch of time between the writing and my reading of the story, or if it is due to my ignorance of miliatry regalia.

The end of the story was confusing as well, initially stating that no one died on Bogard's celebrated mission, then stating that he would have been court martialed had he lived.

Am I missing something in translation?

Despite these I still enjoyed the story with its well drawn characters and deliciously dark undertones.

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 7 comments Interesting stuff Ruth. I've finished Barn Burning, A Rose For Emily, and Dry September so far. I think it is interesting how into the world you are with Faulkner yet how much detail you are left to create on your own.

Plus, he has a way of creating scenarios with biting social commentary and leaving much of the story insinuated. I thought each of these three stories so far had a lot of the same.

I've started That Evening Sun. It's cool to read Quentin and gang again. I can't remember if anything that happened within Sound and Fury related to a Nancy, but anyway each of these has a fast pulse and an edge. Love it.

message 7: by Christopher (last edited Aug 11, 2016 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 7 comments So, finished Turn About.

There were a couple times where I had to re-read a paragraph, because it was too easy to read but not always easy to pick up what was going on. I would find myself going, okay, my eyes are going too fast through this. Who was what, what was.

The story is about WW1 fighter pilots making fun of a kid who lives and sleeps like a beggar in British naval officer regalia and runs on a two-man single-torpedo gunboat from (I think London) the coast of England to far off Black Sea locations such as Kiel. (which is where I think they ended up taking Captain Bogard, a stately American airforce pilot with a distinguished education)

The boat in question rides high to avoid underwater mines, rides fast to avoid machine gun fire, and targets an Argentine supply freighter that is assisting the Germans. They sink it by shooting a single torpedo which is almost as likely to blow themselves up.

The Americans took him on the bombing run, because they thought that all he did was deliver written correspondence from land to sea while getting drunk.

Later, after Bogard learns that the young Mr. Hope has been killed in action, he launches a suicide mission of his own. Had the target not been killed under the same circumstances, he would have been court-martialed. Since he hit a major target, he was instead awarded. He and everyone else lived, but he intended to complete a mission as dangerous as his excursion to Kiel.

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 7 comments Not sure what you didn't get on the kid's clothing. I re-read it now to make sure I knew what to say, but google images might help :)