What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Sci-Fi/Horror - Family vacationing in a cabin in the woods trying to heal from the father's infidelity; they're soon under attack from alien creatures (like fire-flies or glow-bugs) who get inside your body and control your mind. [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments This is a very odd novel I read as a teen (I'm 47 years old, btw). It was cheap when I purchased it, and it may have been written by an unknown or lesser known author.

A family of six (mom, pop, teen-son, teen-daughter, grandma, grandpa) are vacationing at this cabin in the woods. Tagging along is the teen daughters best-friend...which makes it seven people.

The reason for the vacation is because the family is trying to heal from the fathers infidelity. Maybe three times he has been caught cheating on his wife. He begs for another chance and thinks up this family vacation as a way to heal.

They vacation at a cabin in the woods...in a forest in the middle of nowhere.

To make a long story short, somewhere in these woods, Aliens must have landed or were already there when they arrived, because as soon as night fell the family was under attack by them.

The alien creatures fly and buzz around. They resemble bumble bees and are about the size of bumble bees. But they glow and blink like fireflies. And they don't sting people, they get inside your body somehow and possess you and control your mind.

The family barricade themselves in the Cabin and are successful, because the aliens are not aggressive enough to try and break in. But the family is nonetheless trapped because the aliens are all around the house just waiting. Several times during the story a few of the glowing aliens manage to get inside through cracks and down the chimney, but they manage to kill or fight them off.

At some point during the book, the dad becomes attracted his daughters teenage best friend. And since the girl had been portrayed a flirting sex-kitten who kept sneaking the guy winks (she was about 15 years old), it didn't take much to convince her to find a private place to bang each other.

They did it in the backyard because the aliens were all around front at that moment. But the wife caught him cheating. The little girl ran into the house half naked. The wife angrily slammed the door on him, and the aliens swarmed him.

The dad was now possessed by aliens, and they glowed brightly within him. They forced him to break into the house to get the others. He did their bidding, but at the last moment, he was somehow able to overpower his possessors long enough to get his family safely to the car.

At the end, the whole family sped off into the sunset, leaving the father behind; his body still full of glowing aliens.

Does anyone know the name of this novel? It's been over 25 years since I read it, and I can't remember.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36067 comments Mod
Please add plot details (and genre like YA science fiction) to your Topic header to help people searching for books. Click "edit" beside the header if you're on the desktop (not mobile) website. Just ask if you'd like some help.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments Kris wrote: "Please add plot details (and genre like YA science fiction) to your Topic header to help people searching for books. Click "edit" beside the header if you're on the desktop (not mobile) website. Ju..."

Don't know if I did it right or not. Unfamiliar with this sort of message board.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Thanks for adding the book's genre to your topic header. I added some plot details to help people who might recognize the book at a glance. Feel free to edit the description.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments Bump

message 6: by Kris (new)

Please note the bump period for this large group is 30+ days -- or sooner if you remember more information.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments Bump

message 8: by Norm017 (new)

Norm017 | 154 comments [url=https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... Moon by Dean Koontz?[/url]

message 9: by Ben (last edited Nov 03, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments Thanks, but that's not it. Only a smidgen of it is similar, but what I read was not a Dean Koontz novel.
This was something I read way back in the early 90's by a Sci-Fi author that was an unknown. I purchased it from a cheap paperback book store that catered mainly to obscure-unknowns. Although this novel was a good read, it was badly edited. There were so many misspellings that I remember chuckling each time I saw one. But the story was gripping and moved along at a fast pace.
I'll probably never find this book. But I won't give up.

message 10: by Neodrauka (new)

Neodrauka | 6 comments Same book I'm searching for haha.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

One day...LEt me know if you stumble upon it ;)

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jobwoge) | 24 comments sounds like a nice book, hope it is found

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jobwoge) | 24 comments I found another querry that seems to match this one but the book wasn't found

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 13: by Ben (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments I'll do that. I've been looking for this book for years. I don't think it will ever be found, but I'm still looking. If I find it, I'll let you know.

message 14: by Kym (last edited Nov 11, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

message 15: by Ben (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments Thanks, Kym. You solved a mystery more than 20 years old for me.

message 16: by Ben (new)

Ben Jr. | 9 comments Thank's All.
This bump is to say that the book has been found...thanks to Kym.

message 17: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments You're welcome Ben. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Trapped (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Edmund Plante (other topics)