Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > Cress by Marissa Meyers (Lunar Chronicles)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments In the third installment of the Lunar chronicles, Cress, having risked everything to warn Cinder of Queen Levana's evil plan, has a slight problem. She's been imprisoned on a satellite since childhood and has only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress a great hacker. Unfortunately, she's just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress involving Cinder, Captain Thorne, Scarlet, and Wolf goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes as a high price. Meanwhile, Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

message 2: by Eve (last edited Jul 11, 2016 01:16AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Okay, this is book #3, and there is still no ending for the original book Cinder :O
Its just amazing how author can stretch and stretch the series. At least all books are out and no need to wait for years to get the grand finale ;)
IRC it took 7 years for MM to finish this series.

By book #3 there are a lot of characters running around in Cress and it would be very easy for them to become confused and muddled but quite surprisingly, they aren't (at least for me).
I have to say that Meyer doesn't let her characters off easily and she is pretty hard on all of them. During the series all main characters had to loose someone they cared for. Quite often it felt like the bad guys are constantly one step ahead of them, so its hard, if impossible to beat them and it was hard to see how good guys could turn into puppets at the blink of an eye.
I am glad for spunky Iko who often brings some humorous relief to all those high-paced life and death situations.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I do like Iko. She is funny and great comic relief.

What I didn't like was once Cress and Cresswell got captured and the thomaturge (have no idea how to spell it) was trying to trap Cinder why Cinder didn't automatically try to take control of Wolf and Scarlet preventing them from being used by the lunars. They could have discussed this from the beginning.

Although the story is good, especially the ending (I am so glad this book did come to an end) but, truthfully the times of crisis seemed really brainless and nonsensical.

message 4: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee wrote: "I do like Iko. She is funny and great comic relief.

What I didn't like was once Cress and Cresswell got captured and the thomaturge (have no idea how to spell it) was trying to trap Cinder why Ci..."

I think Cinder was still unskilful with her powers -- she was practicing on Wolf but she was still learning and experimenting (not everyone had strong powers and even then they could not advance without further tuitions).
Or perhaps MM just saw this as an oppurtunity to have Scarlet kidnapped, taken to Luna, so it was possible to take some action to Luna and introduce us to new character, Winter.

It was kinda strange how fast it was possible to travel between Earth and Moon. And they did not seem to wear any protective suit.

message 5: by Dee (last edited Jul 14, 2016 01:26AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments From what I understood about Luna was that there was a protective dome over the community that provided gravitation, air, and water.

I understand that she was still learning how to use her powers, but she had been practicing with Wolf. I guess you are right about MM wanting to take this opportunity go to Luna.

By the time I got to the last book I was pretty burned out of it. I really thought the books were clever and I liked that this was not the usual fairy tale stories, but I kept seeing times when one side or the other had the opportunity to kill someone and for some reason it just didn't happen, like when the thomaturge(sp) was going to kill Cress and Cresswell she had to take the satellite out of order. This seemed over the top, when it was just as easy to force Cresswell to kill Cress and then himself. To me the story became redundant.

message 6: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
I just finished reading Cress at 6 am and I just can't get over how much better each book is than the previous one! I could not put it down! I am SO tired!!
I will share my thoughts later today. :)

message 7: by Dee (last edited Jul 21, 2016 11:57PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments sounds good Tanvi. I love reading your reviews

message 8: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Quite often some series gets more boring and forced but this one seemed to get more exciting, facinating and you can feel authors enjoyment in plotting. Great interpretation of fairytales.
I also look forward for your review Tanvi.

message 9: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Aww, thanks Dee, Eve. I love reading your thoughts and reviews as well! I had to restrain myself from checking this discussion thread but I couldn't take it any longer so I picked up Cress (instead of working on my own novel) and couldn't rest till I finished it. :p

I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive at the thought of 550 pages...I thought it would take me a couple of weeks to read it as I had been going through a huge reading slump since 2 weeks. But Marissa Meyer has a way of grabbing you from the first chapter itself and not letting go till you're done and even then, you're left wanting the next installment immediately! So, I've started Fairest already. ;)
I love the way all the characters come together or are separated and undergo their own struggles but they retain their individuality and their personalities even as they grow throughout the book.
In the first book, Cinder lost Peony and Iko (for a while). In the second one, Scarlet lost her father (again) and her grandmother in a horrible way. By the end of Cress, when they were all infiltrating the castle, I was so sure that not all of them would make it out together...it was just very heartbreaking - the way they had to leave Dr Erland there, I felt bad for him as well as Cress.
Also, I did not see the Cress-Carswell thing coming...I really didn't. Cinder and Kai were obvious. With Scarlet and Wolf, there was a lot of going back and forth over whether Wolf was good/bad/trustworthy etc. But Cress and Carswell were a huge surprise for me the first time Cress mentions her crush on him. I think the reason why it surprised me so much was because I didn't approach these books with an expectation of romance/relationships. When I read Romantic Suspense, it is a given that there will be romance and suspense. But the Lunar Chronicles just pull you in for the fight, the adventure, the fantasy and the friendships and a burning need to see evil defeated. I am so glad to get back to that after almost a decade of being confined to Romantic Suspense.
Marissa Meyer also has a great way of writing certain scenes and doing them justice, like the way Thaumaturge Sybil Mira got what she deserved. I was just so disgusted by her since the first book and finally she got what she deserved. I'm excited to see Jacin and Winter's story (at least I'm hoping that's where it's going) as well as Wolf rescuing Scarlet and I am so waiting for Levana to pay her dues. Really. There is just so much to look forward to in Winter and I can't wait to read it! :)

Oh and I saw an interview with Marissa Meyer today - she is releasing two graphic novels next year which will be centered on Iko! And she's also releasing Heartless Heartless by Marissa Meyer , a brand new standalone on November 8th, 2016 which is a retelling of the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland before Alice went to Wonderland. Isn't that cover beautiful!? ;)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thanks Tanvi, I will look forward to Heartless. I tried to read Fairest and just couldn't. Once Levana became queen B_____ I just couldn't read it. From reading Winter the only thing I really needed to know was how Levana was in love(?) with Winter's father. Like you I couldn't wait to read Winter and you are right Winter and Jacin get together.

message 11: by Eve (last edited Jul 23, 2016 12:17AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Oh yes, Cress was long book, but Winter will be even longer, more than 800 pages. Quite surprisingly it didn't felt that long because Winter was filled with lots of action, life&death situations, danger, drama and then that final lethal battle. We also get to learn more about life on Luna. And by final book there will be lots of characters running around but quite surprisingly they are all well blended together.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I totally agree with you, Eve. I really loved that book and loved how they all played a part in the final battle.

message 13: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

I want to read Winter but I also want to finish Fairest. I'm about 40% in right now...up to the part where Levana is pushing Sir Evret Hayle into marrying her. The whole idea that she thinks she's in love and is trying to make him hers is very twisted and sick. She doesn't even get that it's wrong and only her obsession. I feel so bad for Sir Hayle..

message 14: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Regarding Fairest: at first I felt sorry for Levana. It must have been hard and stressing to live through the fire and from then on to live with disfigured features but did she really think that she can take whatever she want and she don't have to care for other people's feelings?! The way she just took away someone else's husband and father...there's no excuse for her actions.
Levana was sick and twisted monster and I don't think she knew what true love is!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I couldn't finish Fairest. When Levana became obsessed with Sir Hayle and pushed him mind controlled him into marrying her I couldn't handle it. I didn't want to know how he died, how Levana forced Winter to mutilating herself, and all the other selfish and twisted acts she did. I have a problem with victimization and that is exactly what Levana did to her husband, step daughter, as well as all the other people she tried to destroy.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I have to say this series was really good, but because of the mind control I burned out of this series really quickly

message 17: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I felt that the supernatural powers of mind control was more like a plot device for increasing dramatic tension. Think of how many situations turned into life&death battles because of that.
However, by the end of Winter I was so done with all the mind control, or by the way Lunars abused their powers and used people against each other...it was so disgusting!

message 18: by Marika (last edited Jul 29, 2016 01:41AM) (new)

Marika | 78 comments Yes, that mind controlling was pretty sick! Especially as they only seemed to use this gift for their own gain. I somethimes feel that the politicians and stars also exercise some kind of mind control because how else the masses start to act like flock of sheeps?? You watch them and think what on earth they were thinking by acting like this? Did they all went nuts same time?

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Oh what a good point Marika. I never thought about it like that. My only thought is the person that yells the loudest wins the race, and it doesn't matter how outrageous they are. Unfortunately, we have one of those people running for office in my country.

message 20: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Eve wrote: "Regarding Fairest: at first I felt sorry for Levana. It must have been hard and stressing to live through the fire and from then on to live with disfigured features but did she really think that sh..."

I completely agree, Eve! Levana never got to feel real true love. She didn't receive it from her parents or her sister or anyone for that matter...she was just delusional and obsessive and selfish and cruel. I wanted to feel bad for her...after what Channary did to her when she was a little kid, the way she treated her - but what Levana became after that, well, her cruelty drowned out any sympathy I could have for her. She had no idea what love means or how to love someone..

message 21: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Dee wrote: "I couldn't finish Fairest. When Levana became obsessed with Sir Hayle and pushed him mind controlled him into marrying her I couldn't handle it. I didn't want to know how he died, how Levana forced..."

It was really hard and painful to read about it, Dee..when she killed Sir Evret Hayle, I just stopped reading for a while, wanting to scream 'how could you???' over and over again. It was really sad. Even the part where the plot forms in her head to let Selene burn to death and she believed she was being "merciful" - that was horrible too. :(

message 22: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Also, I finished Winter a few hours back! I loved it! Every book and the whole series as well! Winter was looooong, I think maybe it could have been a little bit shorter but I still enjoyed it. Though I wish Princess Winter hadn't suffered so much...
I think I'll read Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer if I can get the ebook since the physical copy won't be available here till next year.. But even then, I'm considering this series finished and I loved it!
If I hadn't said it enough already, I'm super impressed by Marissa Meyer, considering that this was her debut series, and she's my new favorite author!
Also...the mind control thing did bother me, in the sense that it was so mean and cruel but it made for one heck of a story! ^_^ I've been recommending it to anyone and everyone I know even if they don't read...I can't stop talking about it.. :p I wish they adapt the series into movies..I would love to see them! ^_^

message 23: by Eve (last edited Aug 01, 2016 10:59PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I don't know how about you but after finishing Winter I had to recover from the intense roller coaster this series put me on ;)
I liked that Lunar Chronicles was sad and sweet, lost and hopeful; it was about love and sacrifice, courage and true friendship -- One For All and All For One.
Sadly Levana never learned to love, nor she had any true friends like Cinder. Levana stayed evil till her dying moment and she never understood how much despair she caused to other people on Earth and Luna. Not that other aristocrates were better, they sounded like bunch of selfish and vain characters.

Tanvi, try get Stars Above, because it has epilogue to Winter. Its not long story and not necessary to read but its bittersweet goodbuy to all characters.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Since several of you have already read Winter do we want to make Winter a buddy read or just forget it?

message 25: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Eve wrote: "I don't know how about you but after finishing Winter I had to recover from the intense roller coaster this series put me on ;)
I liked that Lunar Chronicles was sad and sweet, lost and hopeful; i..."

I'm feeling the same way, Eve. It's been four days since I finished Winter and the series is still on my mind. I'd started reading The Collector by Nora Roberts last month but had to put it down because I couldn't stay away from the Lunar Chronicles. And even now, I haven't picked it back up. I started reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen the day after I finished Winter, and though it's a pretty short book, I'm only about 9% in. I want more of the Lunar Chronicles..I kind of didn't want the series to end even though it was a pretty long journey already.

I am definitely keeping an eye out for Stars Above. It's just not available here right now, probably won't be till 2017. So I'm going to have to wait for that. I want to know what happened later!

message 26: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Dee wrote: "Since several of you have already read Winter do we want to make Winter a buddy read or just forget it?"

Dee, I think we could just discuss Winter right here itself, since we all read the books at different times and we've all more or less finished the series, unless someone hasn't read it yet. :)

message 27: by Dee (last edited Aug 05, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments That is how I kind of felt. After reading Winter I really burned out of the series. I was really glad it was just a trilogy (with the two novellas which I couldn't finish.) I just want to know what all of you thought.

message 28: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments It was good series, fresh and well plotted.
I just hate that the final battle turned into total massacre, once again proving how merciless Levana and her minions were. It was difficult to read how so many lives were just ended.
I wish Cinder had taken some time off to build/get devices that would have stopped using mind-controlling on them and other rebellions, thus evening out things a little. Poor Iko was quite tattered by the end of Winter, not that others were in much better shape. I also wish they had added an epilogue to Winter, not force us to buy yet another book!

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I so agree with you. I only got about half way through Stars above and I was too burned out by the series to continue