The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club discussion

Realistic Fiction > Call It Courage

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (last edited Jul 09, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) | 303 comments Mod
Call It Courage is written by Armstrong Sperry. It is the Newbery Medal, 1941.

message 2: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (last edited Jul 08, 2016 08:28PM) (new)

A society solely based on the epitome of courage who have the drive to face their fear through "indifference," a moral judgement. How much time passes until one faces their trauma of fear? A society of the west wouldn't spend time facing trauma, they would waste time trying to deface and devalue its mark.

Someone who fights toward finding the courage to thwart their fears is a valuable member of society because they have the ability to teach other's how to learn to manage trauma.

The Hikueru value their members who find their path back to the people through courage, the most valued physical strength.

The west has many different ideas what is strength of the mind; this value is how smart one is.

Is "indifference" perception? How do we perceive phobias? How can "indiffernce" be perceived as thwarting one's fear? Direct contact with the problem may arise by finding oneself in a similar situation that makes us fight for control by solving the problem to deal with a complex situation.

Are we defined as a person by our perceptions by others; therefore, our perceptions create a place within our society? Or, are our perceptions of ourselves defined by the society we live? Our fears make us who we are, not how we define ourselves.

People define us whether or not we believe we belong in our complex socieities. Our communities strive to define our places based upon our perceived strengths and weaknesses. What sets us apart from others in our community is our individual awareness of our defined strengths and weaknesses. This is how to survive in a complex society by defining our own places.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 175 comments Some people don't appreciate the glory of this book. They don't understand the greatness of a boar tooth necklace.

Mafatu wants to prove that he has courage, so he goes out and proves it by doing dangerous things. Sounds logical to me! It's pretty similar to my career as a varsity wrestler in high school.

This might be one of those guy books that women think are pointless, kind of like Dead End in Norvelt.

message 4: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (last edited Jul 09, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Phil wrote: "Some people don't appreciate the glory of this book. They don't understand the greatness of a boar tooth necklace.

Mafatu wants to prove that he has courage, so he goes out and proves it by doing ..."

I agree with your point of view people don't appreciate the message this book presents.

Mufatu envied his grandfather's courage in the possession he wore the boar tooth necklace. Mufatu became angry when his friend called him a coward; Mufatu left his tribe to find himself and he didn't know what he was doing. He found guidance in Kivi who showed him the passage out of the coral reef and into the unknown.

There exist so many messages in the book about becoming triumphant in the face of adversity and you need to know whom is worthy of true friendship, regardless of your friend being different from yourself.

I like reading these types of books because they open my own eyes and shine the golden light upon my surroundings. We must learn how to problem solve, because if we fail to learn the basics, we won't know how to solve the bigger issues.

I believe "courage"comes in many differnt forms and we must learn how to listen to ourselves.

In regards to teaching morals, I would use this book for those boys who find themselves stuck in the proverbial societal gender expectations. For example, knitting was man's work, then it was passed down to women's work and men today don't know the facts about the gender specified work that is still performed by men in the 21st Century in many societies.

I haven't read "Dead End Norvelt." I will add it to my reading list.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Fitzgerald | 20 comments I'm a guy and I think Dead End in Norvelt was a disaster. I listened to the audiobook (read by the author) and it drove me crazy. I now have no desire to read any other Gantos.

Call It Courage, on the other hand, I enjoyed, and I look forward to reading more Sperry when I have the opportunity.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 175 comments I was being a little sarcastic in my previous post. I think some readers will find negative messages in Call It Courage, such as doing foolish things to gain peer approval and basing your self-worth on what other people say about you.

I enjoy it as a classic rites of passage novel. While I have had female students enjoy it, the guys tend to be more excited by the "kill a pig/take its teeth" parts of the plot.

I get that Dead End in Norvelt is a controversial pick.. I defend it on the basis that there ought to be a place for wild humor in the Newberys.

message 7: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (last edited Sep 04, 2016 02:38AM) (new)

Phil wrote: "I was being a little sarcastic in my previous post. I think some readers will find negative messages in Call It Courage, such as doing foolish things to gain peer approval and basing your self-wort..."

Actally, in the indiginous societies, the people are expexted to find themselves by going off by themselves for either rituals or personal empowerment. I don't believe your comment to be smarmy. I found it humorous.

I think readers find negativity in what they are looking for regardless of books.

But, some readers react to what they read because it describes their personal life in some way and their using reading as escapism. They are unable to handle the overlap.

Books reflect our real lives.

message 8: by Joy (new)

Joy | 217 comments I couldn't stand this book. However, I will give it a year or two and possibly pick it up again. I think it was the writing style that bothered me.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 175 comments Joy wrote: "I couldn't stand this book. However, I will give it a year or two and possibly pick it up again. I think it was the writing style that bothered me."

Honestly, Joy, I'm interested to know why it bugged you so much, especially since you recently read The Dark Frigate, which has an even more overwrought style.

message 10: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (new)

Yeah Joy, I must agree with Phil, share with us your opinion.

The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Call It Courage (other topics)
Dead End in Norvelt (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Armstrong Sperry (other topics)