Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Rising (New World, #1)
This topic is about Rising
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > New World: Rising (New World #1) by Jennifer Wilson → Start Date: August 17th, 2016

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kikijanika (last edited Jul 08, 2016 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3002 comments Anybody's welcome to join Vicki and me as we read this book :)

message 2: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Thank you for making the thread! :o)

Kikijanika | 3002 comments What's your schedule Vicki? I think I'll try to start this book on Wednesday because next week I'll be abroad and I'm not sure how much reading I'll get done then :)

message 4: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'm so busy and so behind, so I doubt I'll get to it on Wednesday but go for it! :o)

Where are you going and for how long?

Kikijanika | 3002 comments I'm going to Almaty, Kadzakhstan for a week. Just a short vacation between jobs :)

message 6: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Whoa!!! Never heard of that! Sounds interesting!! Lol

Kikijanika | 3002 comments Yeah, I'm quite excited about the trip. Kadzakhstan is in Asia, next to China. I'm going with my sister and we like to travel a lot. Nice to see places that are not the most common tourist hubs :)

message 8: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That's so cool! I wish I traveled like that but I'm honestly a bit "afraid" to travel in countries I am not familiar with because of my lack of knowing how to plan. Lol I know we can hire a travel agent and when I retire next year we might do that.

Where would you suggest a "beginner" goes? Lol I only speak English!

Kikijanika | 3002 comments Hmm...depends on what you want from the trip. If you haven't traveled a lot I'd recommend some kind of package from a travel agent. I'm not sure which are the most common places to travel from the USA but if you want a beach vacation maybe Caribbean islands. If you want to travel further away there are plenty of places in Europe that are safe and easy options. They don't always speak perfect English but you can usually manage. Most of the countries in western and southern Europe as well as central Europe would be ok. Like Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Poland etc. I've been to these countries at least and liked them a lot. And then of course there are England, Scotland and Ireland where you should easily manage with English. Austria and Switzerland have some very beautiful mountain areas. I once spent a week in a small town called, Söll in Austria. Surrounded by mountains and amazing possibilities for outdoor activities. And people in Scandinavia and the Netherlands generally speak good English. Scandinavia just does not strike me as very interesting but that's probably because I live there :D In Asia they speak good English in Hong Kong, at least. There you can experience a nice combination of western culture and traditional Chinese culture. And one of my personal favorites in Asia is Thailand. It's just very beautiful and people are very friendly.

I usually don't use travel agencies but if you want it easier they are a good choice. So really it depends what the travel agencies can offer and whether you want to lie on a beach, roam the cities or maybe go hiking in the wilderness. Or perhaps a little bit of all.

message 10: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That's a lot of good information! Thank you so much for all your input! :o) I'll let you know when we go somewhere like Germany or Italy. :o)

Kikijanika | 3002 comments I finally got this started but haven't read much yet.

message 12: by Kikijanika (last edited Sep 01, 2016 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3002 comments Ok...I've finally had time to concentrate on this book. I just finished chapter 10 so here are some of my thoughts.

Phoenix - (view spoiler)

The rebels - (view spoiler)

I'd like to learn more about the (view spoiler)

I've really enjoyed this book so far and I hope it remains as good as the story progresses.

message 13: by Kikijanika (last edited Sep 02, 2016 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3002 comments Noo...this book can't end here! Now I'm dying to read the next one!

This book was so entertaining: fast paced with plenty of plot twists. I just couldn't quit reading!

I was happy to see (view spoiler)

The ending was (view spoiler)

It was so sad (view spoiler)

I've heard a lot of good about this book and I definitely wasn't dissappointed :)

message 14: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Kiki, I'm so sorry that I have gotten so far behind. I'll try to catch up but I'm really happy that you loved it so much!

Kikijanika | 3002 comments Don't worry Vicki! It's hard to keep up with so many great books out there and of course there are other things in your REAL life :D But I really enjoyed this book so I hope you'll get a chance to read it at some point :)

message 16: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay, thank you.

message 17: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'm so sorry I am still so behind and haven't started this. :o(

Kikijanika | 3002 comments Oh it doesn't matter. Perhaps someday :)