Play Book Tag discussion

The Mystery of Mary
This topic is about The Mystery of Mary
Archive: Other Books > The mystery of Mary, Grace Livingston Hill 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments Hill was a very prolific author during her lifetime, 1865-1947. This is just one of more than 100 novels. It's a typical Hill romance but may have more mystery than some.

A beautiful young woman leaving the train station asks a young man if she may walk with him. Obviously she's afraid and is running from something. Her dress and manner indicate she comes from wealth, but she has no purse or money. She won't tell the young man why she's running but he helps her make her way to Chicago. Being unable to get her off his mind, he decides he must find her again and help her. He doesn't even know her name, so finding her seems impossible.

I devoured Grace Livingston Hill books like candy during my pre-teen and teen years. As an adult with a Kindle, I discovered them all over again since so many are now in public domain and available for free download. This one was first published in 1912. They're not great literature, but Hill could spin a great yarn. Her books continue to be my go to for pure entertainment, a story I know will have a happy ending. This one was also a quick read, only 120 pages, so I didn't have to put it down.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3065 comments Now, I'm curious. Sometimes, I need an easy entertaining story.

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments Jgrace wrote: "Now, I'm curious. Sometimes, I need an easy entertaining story."

Follow my reading for a while, then, JG. I'm going to read only short and happy until my body decides to make peace with my meds. I'm having a hard time concentrating with my chemo brain, thus short books. One med that's expected to cause a few days of moodiness is making me really depressed, thus fun, entertaining, happy books only.

message 4: by Jgrace (last edited Jul 08, 2016 04:45PM) (new)

Jgrace | 3065 comments I'm so sorry you have to deal with these medication side effects. I'm glad you've found a non-toxic way to combat it.

A friend of mine found this book useful while he was having chemo treatments. I didn't try any of them, but some of the recipes sounded good to me.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments
A friend of mine found this book useful while he was having chemo treatments. ..."

Thanks, I just downloaded it. It's short and I can read it for free with Kindle Unlimited, which makes me happy, so it meets all my criteria.

message 6: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2309 comments I can remember reading some of these when I was 12-14 and thought they were good. Sometimes I like to read a book I know has a happy ending. My sister and I share a subscription to Kindle Unlimited so it might be a good time to revisit one.

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I can remember reading some of these when I was 12-14 and thought they were good. Sometimes I like to read a book I know has a happy ending. My sister and I share a subscription to Kindle Unlimited..."

You don't have to use your Kindle Unlimited for the Grace Livingston Hill book. You can download it for free at Amazon as a public domain book.

The book JGrace recommended is a Kindle Unlimited book.