Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Writing Technique > What is the start tag for Kindle Self Publishing

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 229 comments I am self publishing a book through amazon's kindle self publishing on line system.

I am using these tags to tell the kindle reader where to go:

Goes to the cover

Goes to the table of contents

Use to go to the first page of text or where ever the start tag was placed

For some reason the Start command doesn't work, dumps me in the middle of the table of contents. I used it in my first book a few years ago and it worked ok. I don't know if there is a conflict between the tags and html or if the Start tag has been changed.

Does anyone know which tag to use for Start?

message 2: by Robert (last edited Jul 10, 2016 07:01AM) (new)

Robert Zwilling | 229 comments Finally got a response that seems to make sense:

I have reviewed our previous correspondence, and I offer my sincere apologies for any misunderstandings thus far.

I understand you need a HTML tag to set the Kindle book to start at the first page on the converted content.

Currently, you'll not be able to set your the Kindle book to start at the first page by using a HTML tag due to recent changes to how SRL is set. Once the Kindle book is published on KDP, post conversion, we'll automatically set the SRL (Start Reading Location) for the Kindle book to begin at Chapter 1.

No further action is required from you. You may go ahead and complete publishing your title.

Start Reading Location (SRL) is the page Kindle devices go to when readers open your book for the first time. Amazon typically sets SRL at chapter 1 so readers can start reading the core content of your book as soon as they open it.

You can see your SRL on your downloaded book by selecting “Start” from the table of contents.

For more information on SRL, visit our Help page:

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A...

Since it is poetry, there is an active table of contents, but no actual chapter headings. I will have to see if it uses the first instance of text after the TOC or if I have to hide the word "chapter" in the html tag.

This didn't help anything as I didn't notice it but the amazon html tags for indicating the cover, the TOC, and the beginning of the book get deleted when you post it in Goodreads or Amazon messaging.