The Toast discussion

Toast-worthy science fiction and fantasy

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth95) Here is a place for #scifiandfantasy Slackers to share their favorite speculative fiction books, and discover new ones.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth95) Resolved: that The Goblin Emperor is the Toastiest book of all time. And that Ancillary Justice is the beginning of the Toastiest series.

message 4: by Hieu (new)

Hieu (megatruong) | 2 comments Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor! I read it recently and I loved it. It's also really nice to read about a world with magic outside of a Western Euro context.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam L | 1 comments Going through the last couple of days of recs, here's what I've put together:
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy

Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle

Ann Leckie's Ancillary Trilogy

The Liaden Universe

The Expanse

A Natural History of dragons by Marie Brennan

A Fistful Of Sky

Elizabeth Bear's Eternal Sky trilogy

karen memory

Spiritwalker trilogy by Kate Elliott

Vorkosigan saga

The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty

Lonely Werewolf Girl

Kraken by China Mieville

Diane Duane's Young Wizards

Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksennarion

Trading in Danger

T Kingfisher's fairy tale retellings

Goblin Emperor

A Stranger in Olandria

The Winged Histories

Nina Kiriki Hoffman's A Red Heart of Memories

Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making

Secret History of Moscow

Heart of Iron

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily enthusiastically seconding everything here that I've read!

adding:
The Golem and the Jinni
Borderline
The Brides of Rollrock Island (too witches!)

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments Also Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series and Patrick Rothfuss' King Killer series.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments And Iain M. Banks' Culture series, and Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments And Naomi Novik's Temeriaire series (dragons in the Napoleonic wars!) and Uprooted by her too, and Erika Johanson's The Queen of the Tearling! and anything by Intisar Khanani! (I'm better at fantasy than sci fi recommendations)

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth95) The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is a very Toasty one as well.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan Harms (meganharms) | 2 comments I highly recommend The Rook. It's some truly bizarre British supernatural bureaucracy weirdness. SO GOOD.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jjjjjj) | 2 comments I haven't read a lot of these, but I will enthusiastically second Naomi Novik's Uprooted and (fourth?) Ann Leckie's Ancillary trio (at least the two I've read so far).

Adding NK Jemisin, especially The Fifth Season, and Octavia Butler (though I've only read Bloodchild and Kindred from her, but they're amazing).

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jjjjjj) | 2 comments @Sara, I'm about to start Ancillary Mercy today. I'm really excited to see how it ends!

message 15: by Katee (new)

Katee (feedthebeast) | 1 comments I really strongly want to second the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. Really awesome stuff -- I started following them when I was a kid and am still head over heels in love with them.

message 16: by Smoom (new)

Smoom | 1 comments I'm in the middle of the Fifth Season now, having powered through the Inheritance Trilogy. Adding the Southern Reach, Station Eleven, the Mirror Empire.

I have read loads of moderately silly series such as anything by Lindsay Buroker. Not great literature but if you have a long journey/ can't sleep or need something easy they are pretty fun.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Carlson (ecurve) | 2 comments The Old Kingdom Collection: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel: kickass young women face down the undead with magical bells.

Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot: Regency-era fantasy!

Rivers of London (released as Midnight Riot in the US because... reasons?) and its sequels: magical cops patrol supernatural London. Lighthearted and with a POC lead.

A Stranger in Olondria: beautifully-written exploration of leaving home and exploring the world.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Harms (meganharms) | 2 comments Nicole wrote: "The Old Kingdom Collection: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel: kickass young women face down the undead with magical bells.

[book:Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot..."

HELL YES on Rivers of London. My favorite system of magic + British stuff + detectives!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Carlson (ecurve) | 2 comments I am such a sucker for books about London where London is practically a character in its own right, especially if there's a bit of spooky.

message 20: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 1 comments Nicole wrote: "The Old Kingdom Collection: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel: kickass young women face down the undead with magical bells.

[book:Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot..."

The Old Kingdom Collection is so good! So much love for those.

Also adding the Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody. For a younger audience but badass girl with various mind powers (and a grumpy cat that she talks to!)

message 21: by Egh (new)

Egh | 6 comments i'm sorry to start a fight but this book: A College of Magics is the most toast that ever was toast.

Caroline Stevermer's books are all on the list

All of the Hainish cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin starting with The Dispossessed

Deerskin (I picked the edition with my favorite cover. Every time I find a copy of this cover at a used bookstore I buy it and give it to someone. Heaven forbid anyone buy the one with a dumb statue on the front.)

Sunshine

Ship of Magic/Mad Ship/Ship of Destiny (magic ships, woman pirate dressed as a boy, evil conspiracies)

The writing is sort of clunky but The Steerswoman is so charming I always forgive it. Plus the cover of the first book is the most idiotic book cover ever made and that gives it a special place in my heart.

The Diamond Age: or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer

message 22: by Egh (new)

Egh | 6 comments Shoot lost my train of thought. ALSO:
Kage Baker is the besssst. I am sad she is deceased because I would like to read the company novels forever.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. Ahhhh, love.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments Beth wrote: " The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is a very Toasty one as well."

Yes, yes, yes! I loved this book so much more than I expected (and I expected to love it a lot!). Reading it was like a hug.

message 25: by Leah (new)

Leah (superstitionclub) | 5 comments How has nobody mentioned Connie Willis yet? Her Oxford Time Travel series is bordering on the greatest SFF I've ever read.

Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories.

Sylvia Townsend Warner wrote a book about a spinster becoming a witch in the 1920s, called Lolly Willowes, and a collection of short stories about imaginary kingdoms that exist inside our own worlds, called Kingdoms of Elfin. Stella Benson wrote a book about a witch in London during WWI, called Living Alone, which involves a broomstick battle that coincides with an aerial bombing. These are all TOO WITCHES and you should read them immediately.

message 26: by Wendy (last edited Jul 31, 2016 06:31AM) (new)

Wendy (the_wendy_zone) | 1 comments The Ellen Datlow (Editor) / Terry Windling anthologies of fairy tale retellings, starting with Snow White Blood Red Snow White, Blood Red.

I cannot recommend Ellen Kushner enough, particularly Swordspoint and The Privilege of the Sword (manner punk).

The Ghost Bride

For something more Lovecraftian: Maplecroft

The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R Kiernan (very unreliable narrator, story is hard to piece together, some details are impossible to nail down)

Classic sword and sorcery: Jirel of Joiry

I've also just started reading Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr..