CanadianContent discussion

Genres > Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments A place to discuss graphic novels.

message 2: by Gillian (last edited Jul 08, 2016 10:12AM) (new)

Gillian | 229 comments Some Canadian graphic novels I recommend:

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll is a beautifully drawn collection of horror stories.

The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer by Sydney Padua is part steampunk adventures of the inventors of the first computer and part historical non-fiction.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 1: Squirrel Power is written by Ryan North and is a good superhero story.

Susceptible by Geneviève Castrée is an autobiographical graphic novel memoir.

The amazing Kate Beaton is the author of three graphic novel collections, Hark! A Vagrant, Never Learn Anything From History, Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection. Very funny with a fair bit of Canadian history.

Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me by Sarah Leavitt is an autobiographical graphic novel memoir.

On Loving Women by Diane Obomsawin is a collection of short stories on love and coming out.

Jillian Tamaki is the author of SuperMutant Magic Academy and This One Summer as well as tons of other graphic novels. She also collaborated with her cousin Mariko Tamaki on the graphic novel Skim.

Photobooth: A Biography by Meags Fitzgerald is part autobiography, part history of photobooths. She has another book Long Red Hair that I have not read yet but looks good.

Isabelle Melançon is the author of Namesake, Volume 1 and Namesake, Volume 2, a beautiful fantasy involving fairy tales. Seriously, it's super beautiful and you can even read it online at her website. Highly recommend. She also has a couple of other books that look good but that I haven't read yet.

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments The Outside Circle really should be read by every Canadian.

message 5: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3562 comments Mod
Here is a link to more information about Margaret Atwood's pending graphic novel, Angel Catbird. Proceeds are going to Keep Cats Safe and Save Bird's Lives: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/07/watch...

message 6: by ❀ Susan (new)

Here is a bit more graphic novel news - Justin Trudeau is going to be featured in Civil War II: Choosing sides by Toronto cartoonist Chip Zdarsky and illustrated by Ramón Pérez: http://www.quillandquire.com/book-cul...

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments Look you guys! Margaret Atwood has done a graphic novel, released in September, called Angel Catbird, Vol. 1. There's a video with Ms. Atwood and the artist here. The title says Vol. 1 so maybe there will be more. I'm not a keen graphic novel reader but ... Margaret Atwood! I love that after 50 years, she's still changing it up and keeping her creativity fresh!

message 8: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments I recently read Louis Riel by Chester Brown. It's a comic biography of Louis Riel that looks at the founding of Manitoba and the Red River Rebellion. It was decent but felt a bit incomplete. Louis Riel's life is rather difficult to tell in 200 pages though.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 740 comments I recently tried to read Mary Wept Over the Feet of Jesus, also by Chester Brown, and ended up taking it back to the library after reading only a few stories. I was curious about his Louis Riel bio. Thanks for your comments, Shvaugn.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments I had Angel Catbird in my hands at a bookstore tonight, but I decided not to buy it. I need to fill that graphic novel bingo square! Any suggestions for someone who typically shies away from this genre??

message 11: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments ✰ Allison ✰ wrote: "I had Angel Catbird in my hands at a bookstore tonight, but I decided not to buy it. I need to fill that graphic novel bingo square! Any suggestions for someone who typically shies away from this g..."

I tend to suggest looking for a graphic novel in a genre you already know you like. Memoir graphic novels are always good if you find the premise interesting.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments Good point. I chose not to buy Angel Catbird because I don't usually like science fiction and I definitely do not like cats. Sorry cat lovers.

message 13: by ❀ Susan (last edited Sep 08, 2016 07:19PM) (new)

@Allison - LOL, I am NOT a fan of graphic novels but do happen to love cats!! We would make Margaret Atwood happy as we keep our cats inside and they stalk their birds through glass. :)

LOL - edited as they STALK their birds not keep a Stock of them!

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra | 674 comments Susan wrote: "I recently tried to read Mary Wept Over the Feet of Jesus, also by Chester Brown, and ended up taking it back to the library after reading only a few stories. I was ..."

Uh oh.....I just picked this up from the library today.
I have Louis Riel on my TBR list as well.

In Chapters last week, I picked up a copy of The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel from the sale table and I still have A Chinese Life sitting on my TBR shelf from the last Chapters sale table find.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 740 comments Two recommendations for easy, enjoyable graphic novels/memoirs: This One Summer and Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened.

This One Summer is by Canadian author/illustrators and captures cottage life and the period where young woman are not quite children anymore but not quite teens either. The illustrations are gorgeous and won a GG Award.

Hyperbole and a Half is great - a series of stories from the author's life. Some are hilarious, some are sadder (dealing with her depression), but the whole thing is brilliant.

message 16: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments I second This One Summer. It's a beautiful coming of age graphic novel.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments Did you see that Gord Downie's (from the Tragically Hip) new solo album will be accompanied by a graphic novel by Jeff Lemire, author of The Complete Essex County? What a combo!

The topic is covering aboriginal atrocities, specifically residential schools: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder...

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments I just ordered Through the Woods. It looks cool. Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

As much as graphic novels are not my favourite, I will be interested in Gord Downie's combination for sure. When i first heard about it, I wondered if Joseph Boyden was somehow involved too but have not read anything about that. They seem to be very close!

message 20: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 590 comments @Susan @Allison I read the original Maclean's article last night regarding Chanie Wenjack's tragic death and it is heartbreaking. I am definitely ordering Gord Downie's Secret Path. Important to raise more awareness to facilitate truth and reconciliation

message 21: by ❀ Susan (new)

I am wondering if there is any connection to Joseph Boyden's new book coming out. His book is about (and called) Wenjack too and he seems to be close to Downie.

message 22: by ❀ Susan (new)

Interesting article on Jeff Lemire: http://www.macleans.ca/culture/books/...

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments Through the Woods came in the mail today. I'm eager to get started.

message 24: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments ✰ Allison ✰ wrote: "Through the Woods came in the mail today. I'm eager to get started."

It's such a beautiful book. I'm interested in hearing what you think.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments @Shvaugn, I read it in one sitting! This was my first stab at a graphic novel, so I have no standard by which to rate it. I loved the illustrations but was expecting the stories to be a little more sinister. Not that they weren't creepy, but I've been watching Stranger Things this week and if it's not as scary as that, then it's just not scary!

message 26: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments @✰ Allison ✰ I'm glad you liked it. It's not the scariest book, I'd classify it more as eerie and creepy that anything else.

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Has anyone read Get Jiro!? Looks pretty interesting and Bourdain is a pretty hard core guy. I'm thinking of buying it for my husband.

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments I just bought Angel Catbird, Vol. 1 by Margaret Atwood today! I'm not a usual reader of graphic novels but it's Margaret Atwood! What's not to love!?

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments I think we need to add to this list Secret Path. It is very powerful, especially with Gord Downie's poetry/lyrics accompanying the images.

message 30: by Petra (new)

Petra | 674 comments Last night I brought out my graphic novels. I didn't intend to read them all but I did and all of them were wonderful:

Ghosts - a graphic novel for a younger crowd (tweens) and a delight to read. This story was uplifting. Maya's joy for life was contagious. I liked the exploration that death doesn't separate us from our loved ones completely.

The Underwater Welder - Jeff Lemire does it again. This is a wonderful story of how guilt, pain, confusion and regret from the past can threaten and possibly destroy our futures if we don't face them.

The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel - a very powerful story of inner search and healing, through understanding and forgiveness. A truly beautiful and powerful story.

message 31: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Petra - my 9yo son LOVED Ghosts!

message 32: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 252 comments @Petra, The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel is very good, I agree.

@Shvaugn and @Allison, I thought Through the Woods was beautiful, but I like a bit more meat to the story with my graphic novels.

It's not Canadian, but I just finished Blankets, which I thought was lovely and very wintry too, which was a bonus.

message 33: by Petra (new)

Petra | 674 comments Emmkay, I enjoyed Blankets as well. His other graphic novel, Habibi is also recommended. The story is good and the artwork is phenomenal.

Susan, I think that's about the perfect age to read Ghosts. As an adult, I really liked it, too, though. It's contagiously joyful.