Audiobooks discussion

Jane Austen
This topic is about Jane Austen
Book Recommendations > Favorite narrator for Jane Austen?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith | 445 comments Do you have a favorite narrator for Jane Austen? There are so many audio versions for each book and I am having a hard time deciding. I am particularly looking for a version of Emma at the moment.

message 2: by Persis (new)

Persis Menon | 28 comments I'm sorry I didn't get your question, are you looking for a good narrator to do a Jane Austen??

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith | 445 comments No I want to know which Audible book to buy.

message 4: by Koeeoaddi (last edited Jul 08, 2016 09:15AM) (new)

Koeeoaddi (koee) | 23 comments Hi Faith! For "Emma" I like Wanda McCaddon. Her Mrs. Elton and Miss Bates are hilariously done. Juliet Stevenson is also excellent.
(Flo Gibson is a decent narrator but is, IMO, wrong for Jane Austen.)

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith | 445 comments Thanks, I was leaning towards McCaddon and I also liked the sample of Michael Page. I don't really care for Flo Gibson.

message 6: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3747 comments My favorite Emma narration is by Prunella Scales, but she isn't available on Audible yet. She was in a BBC production of Emma and played the garrulous spinster daughter with the elderly deaf mother... hilarious.

I enjoyed Michael Page's narration of Persuasion.

message 7: by Faith (new)

Faith | 445 comments Thanks. I decided to get the Scales version of Cranford. I remember her from Fawlty Towers.

message 8: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments I would recommend Juliet Stevenson she is fabulous. Rosalyn Landor is really good too, as is Anne Flosnik too.

And just an FYI that Nadia May & Wanda McCaddon are the same person.

message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith | 445 comments Thanks. Interesting but weird about the two names. I could see if for different genres, but 2 different names for Austen?

message 10: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Faith wrote: "Thanks. Interesting but weird about the two names. I could see if for different genres, but 2 different names for Austen?"

She also reads under the name Donada Peters

http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/narr...

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments Good grief. Can't remember them all. I need a who AKA list.

message 12: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments I listened to Wanda McCadden's version of Mansfield Park and liked it a lot.

I wasn't a huge fan of Mary Sarah Agliotta's version of Northanger Abbey, though. I thought she could have done more to bring out the humor.