CanadianContent discussion

Genres > YA

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3562 comments Mod
A spot to discuss YA as suggested...

message 2: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments Super glad there's a space to discuss YA now as it's one of my favourite genres. I'm currently reading Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston which takes place in Ontario. I normally read fantasy or urban fantasy YA so it's taken a bit to get used to.

YA Interrobang, which is one of my favourite YA book websites, also recently released this list of speculative fiction YA by female Canadian authors if anyone is interested. I haven't read any of them yet but Seraphina has been on my list for a while.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments Wow, that looks like a great list! Are we now not using the terms Science Fiction / Fantasy anymore? Speculative Fiction seems to encompass both ideas from the sounds of the books on that list.

message 4: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments @ Diane From my understanding speculative fiction is a really large genre that encompasses fantasy, science fiction, horror, utopia, dystopia, alternate history, apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic, magic realism and superhero genres. The setting and narrative are supposed to be rooted in imagination and speculation rather than reality and everyday life but I feel that it's become a bit of an overused and confused definition these days.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments Ah thanks! I like a lot of those though not a fan of horror for the most part, nor probably superhero though I like some of the Marvel based movies. I read a wonderful series with magic in it by Debora Geary that would be YA friendly as well as for adults since there's no sex or violence in it yet it's got magic, friendships and family and even romance. These are all about witches but they're good ones!

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Mitchell-Gill | 3 comments Hi there! My name is Ian Mitchell-Gill and I just published my first book! It is for the YA audience but I am surprised by how many adults are enjoying it too. Its a fun read and the ebook is a great price! Here it is. Enjoy! Merrett's Gift
Merrett's Gift by Ian Mitchell Gill

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein by Canadian author Carol Matas is an excellent book written from the POV of a young girl in Winnipeg.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments Chapters/Indigo List: Top 10 Canadian Teen & YA Books

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/...

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3562 comments Mod
Interesting to learn that Carolyn Keene would have been 112 years old today... considering she was a pseudonym for the author of the Nancy Drew series that I LOVED as a young girl/ http://www.fandango.com/people/caroly...

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments Oh I devoured Nancy Drew books when I was young!