CanadianContent discussion

Genres > Poetry - Poet and Poetry Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3562 comments Mod
as requested, a place to discuss poetry

message 2: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments Is there any interest in doing a daily or weekly feature on a poem showcasing a particular poet like in the previous group? I'd be willing to help run it.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments I am awaiting milk and honey by Toronto based Rupi Kaur. Her poetry was recommended by a friend of mine from Ottawa.

message 4: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments Mary Anne wrote: "I am awaiting milk and honey by Toronto based Rupi Kaur. Her poetry was recommended by a friend of mine from Ottawa."

Me too! I've heard good things about it. Sadly the waiting list at the library is so long I suspect I won't get it until the fall or later.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments Shvaugn wrote: "Mary Anne wrote: "I am awaiting milk and honey by Toronto based Rupi Kaur. Her poetry was recommended by a friend of mine from Ottawa."

Me too! I've heard good thi..."

She has a website

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments Mary Anne wrote: "Shvaugn wrote: "Mary Anne wrote: "I am awaiting milk and honey by Toronto based Rupi Kaur. Her poetry was recommended by a friend of mine from Ottawa."

Me too! I'v..."

the website is http://www.rupikaur.com/milkandhoney/

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments For a taste of her poetry: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2015/10/rupi-...

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I gave milk and honey to my sister for her birthday, she absolutely loved it. I'm going to have to borrow it from her!

message 9: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments thanks for the link Mary Ann, these are almost haiku...not only in stricture.some I like very much

message 10: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments it seems like there are at least 4 of us with an interest in poetry.
for now, what if we took turns posting a poem we love, say once a week, say Sunday poem. Even I can arrange to get on the internet for that, and this way no one person will be burdened.

message 11: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments I'm down for that but think that this should be in a different thread, so that there's still a separate space dedicated to poem and poet recommendations. I'd love to post some of my favourite poetry and do a little write up about it.

message 12: by ❀ Susan (new)

Hi all - I have made a new bingo for 2017 and included a poetry square as many of us (me included) have not focused on poetry in a long time (other than children's poetry). :)

message 13: by ❀ Susan (new)

I added a Post a poetry and comment thread -does that work?

message 14: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments That's perfect! Thanks Susan.

message 15: by ❀ Susan (new)

Found on the CBC site: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/08/10-gr...

message 16: by ❀ Susan (new)

It looks like the Guardian posts a poem a week. For those who are interested: https://www.theguardian.com/books/boo...

message 17: by ❀ Susan (new)

With all the chats about poetry today in the challenge suggestions, here is an interesting CBC article that I just found on twitter: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/11/steve...

message 18: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments have not followed up on those links. I don't do twitter and while I do have a guardian account, I don't seem to go there. I so prefer print, and usually have a slim volume of poetry handy.
My most esteemed poets are Rumi, Rilke, Audre Lourde, Baudelaire, Adrienne Rich, Mary Oliver, Richard Wagames

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

The articles are just links to websites so you don't need Twitter or a guardian account to access. I just find them on Twitter and think of this thread.
As someone who has only read children's poetry since high school, I think I will plan on reading some poetry by Richard Wagamese for the 2017 bingo challenge. :)

message 20: by Sandy (last edited Nov 04, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Sandy Nova Scotian Sylvia D. Hamilton published a wonderful volume of poetry a couple of years ago -- And I Alone Escaped To Tell You.

I also enjoyed Ocean by Halifax poet Sue Goyette.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments With all the talk of The Break, has anyone read North End Love Songs?

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Alright, posting to the proper thread.
I have North End Love Songs ready for pickup at the library.
I'm excited to read this after reading The Break.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (bucketofrhymes) | 11 comments I've also just picked up a copy of North End Love Songs. I've heard fantastic things from the poetry club at my library, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 24: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments @Megan and Sarah...me too! Picked up my copy to day and starting reading right away. Hope you enjoy these as much as I am

message 25: by Mj (new)

Mj Will be interested in everyone's thoughts about North End Love Songs. It's another title on my opportunity list.

For the Poetry Bingo Square, I purchased A Really Good Brown Girl: Brick Books Classics 4 by another aboriginal author Marilyn Dumont that was originally published in 1996.

In celebration of 40 years of publishing Canadian poetry, Brick Books released six new editions of classic books from their back catalogue. A Really Good Brown Girl: Brick Books Classics 4 was one of them, with a forward by Lee Maracle. I purchased a 1st edition for my poetry collection.

Interestingly Hard Light by Michael Crummey was another of the 6 books chosen with an introduction by Lisa Moore. Read and enjoyed another edition a few years back and attended a reading by Crummey at our library.

message 26: by ❀ Susan (new)

check out this neat spot for poetry in Toronto: http://www.brokenpencil.com/news/knif...

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Update on North End Love Songs. I am not generally a poetry type person. I loved these poems. Her writing was brilliant. I want to gush about this book of poetry all day!

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments I have to say I'm really struggling with the Poetry square for Bingo. I am trying to get through The Circle Game by Margaret Atwood, thinking that it's Atwood, it has to be pretty good, right? I've never really been into poetry much but i do like the more classical style that actually rhymes and has versed as opposed to prose that's just written in separate lines of various lengths. That feels to me like it's just trying to fool me into thinking it's poetry when it's just writing. Yes, the words sound lovely together but, at least for the collection I'm reading, it doesn't really mean a lot. I read the introduction that explained all the meanings behind many of the pieces and themes but you know, if you have to explain it, then for me it's far too esoteric.

Incidentally, I do have a favourite poem that starts off:

When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep.

W. B. Yeats.

message 29: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments @Diane, if you love that poem by Yeats, there's hope for you yet! :-)
Here's a few suggestions for your consideration:
Runaway Dreams by Richard Wagamese . If you like his fiction, this may be easy for you to connect. Rumi is another whose poetry is irresistible to me.
There are also good collections that give a range of styles.
I'm reading a collection now that I'm liking a lot, with commentary by the editor. If you prefer a Canadian collection, Desperately Seeking Susans has some wonderful poetry that will expose you to a range of amazing women.
Jeanette Armstrong is a native women from BC whose poems pack a punch. And I am with Megan, in love with Katherine Vermettes North End Love Songs.
Maybe if you slow down just a bit in your reading of an individual poem, even read it out loud , you might find, going easy, its more alive.
As for Margaret A, I confess I love her too. I once wrote a poem lifting phrases from a book of hers, I find her that lyrical.
Hope this helps!

message 30: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments oops, the title of the collection I am currently reading is Ten Poems To Say Goodbye edited by Roger Housden. There are quite a few other titles in this series he's put together, ( 10 poems to Last a Lifetime, 10 poems to change your life are 2)
and another few that I will look for ( Dancing with Joy is the one I want next)

message 31: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments @ Mj. I've picked up Michael Crummy s poetry just now, excited about it. Did you get to it?

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments I did wonder if I'd like Wagamese or Crummy better. I went to school with a lad who became a poet and playwright, David Woods, and I think his would likely be good though I think I'll have to see if the library has it. It's not digital. There's a biography on him here but also a youtube video of him reading one of his poems and telling the story behind it. http://blackcanadianpoetry.com/poet-b...

message 33: by ❀ Susan (new)

Happy World Poetry Day!!! http://www.un.org/en/events/poetryday/

message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments http://academyofamericanpoets.cmail19...

This site is hosting poetry every day this week from around the world with the theme of poetry and migration.

message 35: by Barbara (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 215 comments If I haven't mentioned Janet Marie Rogers yet I should. She is Canadian First Nations writer and I have really enjoyed her work.

message 36: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments @ Barbara Janet Marie Rogers, I have just found out has a book actually in my local library, and a few that can be accessed by an interlibrary loan. Thanks for the rec
@ MaryAnne. will this link be available for a while I wonder. Its my end of month restricted data for the mobile, so tempted to just click on it! Last month tho my data overage cost me $20 tho, so will be strong and wait.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments @ Magdelayne if the site is not available at the end of the month go to poets.org and they might have it all. I subscribe to poem of the day through poets.org.

message 38: by ❀ Susan (new)

check this out: U2, George Elliott Clarke and Leonard Cohen... what a combination! http://www.cbc.ca/books/2017/05/u2-bo...

message 39: by Barbara (last edited Aug 04, 2017 09:58AM) (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 215 comments I am hoping to get my hands on Alison Dyer's I'd Write the Sea Like a Parlour Game. It has a good blurb, lol.

message 40: by Alison (last edited Aug 07, 2017 06:34PM) (new)

Alison Dyer | 6 comments Thanks Barbara. Will be announcing a Giveaway soon for I'd Write the Sea Like a Parlour Game. And yes, the book received wonderful endorsements from Don McKay, Lisa Moore and Kathleen Winter! and am very pleased with the reviews to date!

message 41: by ❀ Susan (new)

message 42: by ❀ Susan (new)

we don't talk about poetry too much but who can't receive Alligator Pie? here are some tidbits about Dennis Lee: https://www.cbc.ca/books/50-facts-abo...