YA LGBT Books discussion

The Star Host (Broken Moon, #1)
This topic is about The Star Host
Book of the Month > July 2016 BotM - gay MC - "The Star Host" *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments This month's gay-MC Book of the Month is The Star Host The Star Host by F.T. Lukens by F.T. Lukens

This is the place to discuss the book or related topics and post reviews. You may comment at any time from today onward, at your own pace. This thread may therefore contain spoilers, so if you haven't read the book yet, proceed at your own risk.

One option you may choose in commenting is putting discussion of major spoilers into a tag (view spoiler) - this is helpful for those who have not finished the book, although it is not required. To do this put <*spoiler> before the material you wish to hide, and <*/spoiler> afterward, but with the asterisks removed.

I look forward to discussing this book with the group.

message 2: by CR (new)

CR Daylex (carryingabyss) | 16 comments This sounds really good. Hadn't heard of this before.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments I sure am excited to read this one.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Started this one this afternoon. No build up, drama right off the bat, and it's captured my imagination pretty much immediately. I've never read a M/M SciFi before. I've been looking for something like this, just what I needed. :)

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments i know some good adult ones, but YA LGBT SciFi is definitely in short supply.

message 6: by Rez (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments I just finished this one last night.
The motivations of the main antagonist were a let-down. I'm hoping the sequel will patch that over.

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments I enjoyed this one. A few plot holes and a little predictable at times, but it's cool to have a SciFi with gay MCs that is not focused on the LGBTQ. My review:

It's fun to get a YA LGBTQ book that is genre fiction, in this case SciFi with a touch of paranormal mind powers. The gay component takes a real backseat to the plot and world-building components, and that's great. We need more YA that is not focused on coming out or bullying but just features LGBTQ main characters.

Ren grew up in an agricultural village with friends and a younger brother. He's been good at repairing the few technological items around the village that break, but has little exposure to tech until he and a couple of his friends are swept up in a slave raid by the local strongman. In the process, Ren is discovered to have more than an affinity for technology - he actually has the ability to bond with and control tech devices of all kinds, an ability he thought was just a legend from his mother's stories.

It's a shock, finding out he himself is a Star Host. And the discovery is worse coming in the midst of guards and cells and conventional iron shackles he can't break, as he's confined and made to work for his captor. In the cell next to his, he meets Asher, a Phoenix soldier and resident of the space drifts Ren always dreamed about visiting. Asher's view of the Baron who captured them becomes even more bleak than Ren's. He's convinced the Baron has goals of conquest beyond the surface of the planet. But what can a shackled technopath and an injured footsoldier do against the men and talent the Baron has already acquired?

This book is an action filled adventure. There is some emotion, as friends and family are separated, and the violence of captivity and chase occur, but it's not deeply personally angsty in the way some YA books are. (I actually wouldn't have minded just a bit more emotional hook from it.) The relationship between Ren and Asher develops slowly and is only a thread running under the surface for most of the book. I look forward to seeing that grow in a future story.

The writing flows well, for a smooth read. The world-building is interesting - for example, an author, when creating individuals with the level of power of the Star Hosts has to figure out limits and constraints so their lives aren't too easy, and that was well done here. There were a few minor plot holes, and some predictability, but over all it held together well, with a solid ending that still leaves enough threads dangling for an interesting next installment.

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel (melleach) Kaje wrote: "I enjoyed this one. A few plot holes and a little predictable at times, but it's cool to have a SciFi with gay MCs that is not focused on the LGBTQ. My review:

It's fun to get a YA LGBTQ book that..."

Great review, Kaje. I really enjoyed this author's writing style.

message 9: by Jason (last edited Aug 06, 2016 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Great review Kaje! I finished this one this morning. I loved it as well. I agree, that it was refreshing to see the romance take a back seat to the story. Nice to see a great story that just happens to have gay characters, instead of seeming like it's make for a particular audience.

I sure hope there's a sequel, the way it ended makes me think there will be.

My review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Kaje (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Great review - it does seem to be set up for a sequel and I'd read it.

message 11: by Rez (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments I'm still a little put-off by the motivations of the main antagonist. Why would a guy with the ability to manipulate people's will follow anyone else? "Because the Baron is paying me and told me to do so," just strikes me as very weak motivation.

I really hope we get more info about why/how the Baron is able to keep someone's loyalty like that. Or more insight into Abaithar's motivations would be nice... Was his family captured? Desperate for money? Some side-effect of his Host power?

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel (melleach) Jason wrote: "Great review Kaje! I finished this one this morning. I loved it as well. I agree, that it was refreshing to see the romance take a back seat to the story. Nice to see a great story that just happen..."

Great review, Jason! The sequel is set to come out sometime in 2017.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Good to know Mel, thanks for the info on the sequel!

Rez - I bet we'll find out when book two comes out, perhaps the Baron is a star host as well?

message 14: by Kaje (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments Rez wrote: "I'm still a little put-off by the motivations of the main antagonist. Why would a guy with the ability to manipulate people's will follow anyone else? "Because the Baron is paying me and told me to..."

We definitely don't know enough yet. Perhaps the Baron has some kind of hold on him. Perhaps the Baron is immune to him... I hope we'll find out more.

Katherine Hudson | 1 comments I read it yesterday- captivating and quick read.

message 16: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel (melleach) Kaje wrote: "Rez wrote: "I'm still a little put-off by the motivations of the main antagonist. Why would a guy with the ability to manipulate people's will follow anyone else? "Because the Baron is paying me an..."

Although I don't like cliffhangers, I do like it when a series book leaves a few unanswered questions. I think it adds to the anticipation for the sequel. And as you mentioned, I also like the fact that the romantic aspect wasn't the focal point for the book.

message 17: by Kaje (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16763 comments I agree - my favorite kind of series has a solid Happy For Now ending, so you aren't agonizing over the MCs between books, but with plenty of room for development of both plot and relationship. This surely has that.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Star Host (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

F.T. Lukens (other topics)