The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
This topic is about The Waking Fire
Anthony Ryan > The Waking Fire (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
So here's a thread if anyone wants to discuss The Waking Fire since a few people are reading it. Nothing official.

Spoilers are OK, but maybe post them in spoiler tags?

Something like:

spoilers up to chapter 5: (insert spoiler here)

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nothing too spoilerly to discuss just yet, but I'll put everything in tags anyways. Mostly character discussion, No real plot points though. I believe I'm on chapter 19 or 20, but everything below is probably within the first few chapters.

(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm almost done with my current audio book and will probably pick this one up tonight as my next. I'm not as fast with audio during the summer but it's the better way for me to go with new releases.

Are you liking it so far?

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah. Pretty good.

Slick | 40 comments Loved this book.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm at about Chapter 15. For me the audio was a hard way to do this book because I keep forgetting who the many characters were as they were introduced. I think I'm learning by now though.

The world is really different and (spoiler for general plot point) (view spoiler).

Slick | 40 comments It's the reverse for me haha, i love the Audio but i never retain what i read by text XD

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

So I'm just about finished (I think I have 10 minutes/1 chapter left). I'm not really sure what to discuss other than to say I enjoyed it.

A few thoughts that spoil things to the end of the book (or near enough):

(view spoiler)

I was a bit reluctant to pick this up after his last book, but I enjoyed it. Not as much as his first 2, but it's a good start to a series and I'll be eager to pick up the next one. I just hope he doesn't rush through the series so we don't get another book of lower quality.

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, and I'm so bad with names I'm just used to having placeholders for characters in my head. Or I'll hear a name and know to associate them with a character, but as soon as I stop hearing the name it leaves my head. Sometimes partially, sometimes completely.

I didn't find this any more complicated than most audio books I do, but everyone is different. I just sort of take the initial confusion of a new book/series as expected I guess.

I think just a simple list of characters and their names would be nice for all audio books though.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Yes I'd love the list of names.

I think the problem is I don't tend to listen to fantasy a lot in audio - and it is the genre with lots of names! Or I listen starting with book 2 or 3, where I"m already familiar with people.

But in print or audio, it is easy to get overwhelmed by characters at first. This book isn't horrible because at least the 3 main characters seem to have pretty unique roles/tasks.

message 11: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzanne wrote: "at least the 3 main characters seem to have pretty unique roles/tasks."

Yeah, Jane Bond, Indiana Clay, and Second Mate guy!

Or at least those are my stand in names.. :-P

message 12: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1177 comments This sounds like something I would probably enjoy.

*puts it on wishlist*

Suzanne | 1582 comments It took me awhile to finish this - not because of the book though - I was just on vacation surrounded by people and couldn't really listen!

I enjoyed the book a lot - and I'm interested to see where the series is going. However, I think I will read vs. listen to the next ones - I just had too much trouble with names. It was easier once I used Jane Bond, Indiana Clay and Second Mate guy - so thanks Rob! :) I don't love the narrator either - I don't hate him, but he just isn't a favorite of mine.

The last series one of the big issues I had was the switch from Vaelin's POV to a multiple perspective - since this series started out with the multi-perspective, I think that will help.

What about this story surprised you the most? For me, it was probably (view spoiler)

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, your spoiler surprised me too. That may be my top as well.

Personally, I like the narrator. In the last series I found him too soft spoken at times, but that wasn't a problem for me with this book.

I'm glad my stand-in names helped!

Slick | 40 comments Oh My God.
"Jane Bond, Indiana Clay and Second Mate guy" that is literally how i thought of them.... Haha, i enjoyed this book a lot and i am really fond of the Narrator, maybe just personal preference but i loved him.

It's rare for me to like all the main protagonists but i enjoyed each POV and they had their own story lines and unique personalities..

I am looking forward to the sequel a great deal!

Suzanne | 1582 comments I totally used those names too! And I agree that each pov was enjoyable

Slick | 40 comments This is good even after a reread which is nice, poor second mate guy seems there's some history between him and his girl

I don't thin M is dead haha i think she'll be back

Looking forward to the Sequel :)