Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > July 2016: 11/22/63

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Discussion starts here!

Here are a few things to think about while you are enjoying your reading:

- Why does Jake agree to go back in time—what are his reasons? At this stage in your own life, would you be willing to travel back to the past? What conditions would you require to do so?

- King has a talent for taking supernatural events and locating them in everyday, mundane settings. How does he do that in 11/22/63? Does he pull it off...or does he falter?

- Describe the world of 1958 in which 2011 Jake finds himself. What is appealing about the era...and what is unappealing?

- How would you describe Jake Epping—what kind of man is he? How does his ex-wife see him? How do others see him. How do you see him?

- Have you seen the new show on Netflix? How does it compare if you have.

- How does this novel compare to other King's works?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 13 comments I am hoping to finish this by the end of July. It is such a long book but it is very good so far. Im a little over 60% done.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hall (wendymayhall) | 70 comments I already read this in June and loved it!! I watched the Hulu trailer for the TV show and refuse to watch it because I don't want my perfect perception of the book to be altered in any way! Ha ha!!

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 13 comments I finished it! And i love love loved it!! Ive already recommended it to a few friends.

At this point in my life i do not think i could go back in time, well not for 5 years. I would if it was like Jake did the second time, for a few months. I would definitely do it just to take a nice relaxing beach vacation and then go back to present life without missing more than 2 minutes. But only if i could take my husband. It never actually addressed what would happen if 2 people crossed together.

This is my first Stephen King book surprisingly. Im not opposed to others after this one.

I liked the ending. I think it made the most sense with the main theme of the book: "The past does not want to be changed" I think Jake/ George said that on more than one occasion :)

I loved Sadie's character and enjoyed Jakes time in Texas. At times i even forgot what he was even doing in the past and was focused on how he and Sadie were going to make it work and how the other characters of Jodie were going to end up in life.

I loved Jake's personal feelings he developed towards Oswald and how he started to like him and his family and even felt sorry for him.

The only thing i didnt like about the book was when Jake returned to the present to find what the world was like with all the changes he made. I thought it was a stretch and kinda wish it had played out differently.

The end when he was reunited with Sadie was a very good ending. Again, I will say that Stephen King did a fantastic job of sticking to the theme. And now I want to learn to Lindy Hop.

I imagined Toby McGuire's character from Pleasantville as Jake the whole book and I cannot picture him as James Franco. That being said, I love watching books i read. I wont watch a movie usually without reading the book first. So I will be watching the Hulu show.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 3 comments I am a little over 1/2 way, and find even though the time in Jodie is just making the best use of the wait time until Jake can begin his mission, it is my favorite part, so far. The neighborhood in Fort Worth is grim.

I, too, am waiting to watch the series on Hulu. James Franco, huh? Not sure how I feel about that, he is not anything like I see Jake/George in my head.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hall (wendymayhall) | 70 comments I agree!! Loved the part of the story when Jake was in Jodie!!!

message 7: by Birgit (new)

Birgit I read this a few months ago so I could finish t before the show started on national TV.

For the questions:

I would never go back in time to change the past, because, like in the book, you never know what happens then and maybe this is the best alternative.
I first didn't really understand the motivation of Al, or the world Jake comes back to, because Stephen King didn't explain very much about the political/historical situation of the time. After reading the book I learned about this time of american history in my university history class. I think for Not-Americans" there's not enough information on this topic.

I like the supernatural touch in this book. Like most of the time it's not too much and you can still imagine it without having a wild & vivid fantasy.

I have always liked the 50s. I love the music and the fashion. Of course I know basic rock'n'roll-dancing and am now trying to persuade my boyfriend into learning lindy hop with me. ;)

The charakter of Jake Epping is simple I think. It sometimes seems like King wanted a character who does what is needed for the story and still should be likeable. So for me, there aren't really any extraordianry character traits.

I think the show was good. I was really afraid it could be really bad, like "Under The Dome" where not a thing was correct compared to the book.
They stuck (I'm really not sure about this word - sorry I'm not a native) close to the book, in my opinion but there wasn't enough time to explain everything, so it seemed rushed in comparison. I watched it with my boyfriend, wo didn't read the book and he sometimes was happy having me to explain things.

It's hard for me to compare this book to other King novels, because in my opinion it's different. First of all it a different genre, while most of his other books a "simply" horror novel, this book is mainly science-fiction/fantasy because of the time travelling aspect, although you still had the typical horror elements. I think it can compare with other King novels in terms of qualitiy, I also might say that I would count it to his best works.

My thoughs:
Most of the time I get confused when time travelling is part of a story, but King did a great job. Maybe it was, because Jake himself didn't really understand but accept it until the end.
Like I already said, I really liked the book and it's one of my favourites vom King. Some parts where too long for me but with a writing style like that it's ok. :)

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 9 comments I absolutely loved the book. I'm not a big fan of time travel, but King does a great job. I felt like I went back in time along with Jake. The romance between Jake and Sadie really added to the storyline. The book ended perfectly! If it had ended any other way, it wouldn't have worked for me. This is a great book. I'm glad I decided to give it a try.