Perustopia Book Club discussion

Zenith Part 1
This topic is about Zenith Part 1
Thoughts on Zenith by Sasha Alsberg!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mac (excessiveannotations) I really liked this book. It was a quick read and it was really interesting! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I also loved it too! I loved the characters and the idea for the story! I can't wait for the next chapters to come out!!!!

message 3: by Mac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mac (excessiveannotations) The Book Dragon wrote: "I also loved it too! I loved the characters and the idea for the story! I can't wait for the next chapters to come out!!!!"

Agreed! I can't wait to see what Lindsey and Sasha write!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Mackenzie wrote: "The Book Dragon wrote: "I also loved it too! I loved the characters and the idea for the story! I can't wait for the next chapters to come out!!!!"

Agreed! I can't wait to see what Lindsey and Sas..."

I also can't wait for this fandom to grow bigger than the galaxy! :)

Thomas Leek | 21 comments I read it really fast and became rapidly obsessed with it. The characters, the backstories, the setting! Just loved it. Couldn't help giving it five stars!

message 6: by Tyla (new) - added it

Tyla L | 41 comments Don't have any money to buy it on iBooks! And I feel bad because sasha and Lindsey are one of my favourite booktubers! I'll get to it very soon!

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Jul 11, 2016 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicole I thought it was enjoyable, overall. And, I will definitely check out the next installment.

However, I didn't think it was that amazing and I had multiple problems with it. It felt inconsistent, lacking in plot, lacking in character depth, and too similar to other popular YA series out there.

I understand it's Sasha's first book, and Lindsey's first time co-authoring, so I'm sure they'll fix all of this by the next installment. But I can't think it's great at this point in time.

Even the simple things bugged me, for instance... Gilly is said to have blue eyes in the first description of her, and then towards the end, the same kind of line is repeated, but this time she has green eyes. I'm sure a good editor would have caught this, but I feel like they should have on their own.

In the end, it was an interesting short read. I did like the part in the beginning about the prisoner, and I liked the glimpse we got into one of the antagonists.

Yasmin Halliwell Fraser Bower | 297 comments I liked it just fine and I'm gonna check the next installment, but it was kind of all over the place. Like, it mentions a lot of planets and random details about characters and planets we don't even know WHERE they are (I totally would like a map here) and it's too much too soon. I'm hoping it picks up in book 2 because I love Sasha and want this to be her big break.

message 9: by Anabell (new) - added it

Anabell (readingislikebreathing) | 98 comments I have not read that ( I am german and I dont think it will ever be published here haha) but I still ask myself all the time, why everybody calls it a book. I mean isn't it 80 pages long? When I think of other books, there is not so much happening in 80 pages.
I love Sasha so much with her abookutopia account but I just think it would be more satisfying for everyone if they did not put the whole story in parts! I like the idea but I am not sure If i could enjoy a 80 pages "book" But when the whole thing is finished I will definetly give them a try and I am sure I will be thrilled !:)

message 10: by Mac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mac (excessiveannotations) Anabell wrote: "I have not read that ( I am german and I dont think it will ever be published here haha) but I still ask myself all the time, why everybody calls it a book. I mean isn't it 80 pages long? When I th..."

It is only in ebook

message 11: by Anabell (new) - added it

Anabell (readingislikebreathing) | 98 comments Mackenzie wrote: "Anabell wrote: "I have not read that ( I am german and I dont think it will ever be published here haha) but I still ask myself all the time, why everybody calls it a book. I mean isn't it 80 pages..."

Yeah I know but in "ebook" is the word "book" and for me it sounds more like a novella

message 12: by Mac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mac (excessiveannotations) CONGRATS ON GETTING IT PUBLISHED! :D

message 13: by Gina (new) - rated it 1 star

Gina (readbygina) | 76 comments I love Sasha as a person, I love her YouTube channel and always watch her videos but honestly, I did NOT like Zenith at all.

My number one complaint is the use of the word "fike/fiking/fiked".
It is SO extremely annoying. I mean, let's not be ridiculous now, if you can use bastards, hell and damn(ed), you can use "fuck" as well.
I also find the term "the bloody baroness" quite a cringe worthy one.

Then, personally, I think they tried too hard to make the characters look "badass" while to me it only made them annoying. I don't really enjoy characters who try to be too tough and fierce, and only that, all the time. Which in this case means that I simply didn't like Andi and her crew.
I always found myself cringing when I read parts about how they (Andy and her crew) actually enjoyed themselves killing off people.
Literally every character in this book was either disrespectful, a vile murderer, or both (except the poor servants that is). I'm sorry but I do not find it enjoyable to read about people with only 0,5% humanity in them.

Recently I read in another review that they thought that the use of so many complex words in this book was to come across as smart, and I agree with that.
Sometimes I had to read paragraphs three times in order for me to understand what the fuck they were saying. So that was highly unnecessary.

SO conclusion: overall, I wasn't the biggest fan of this book. To me, it's too much wannabe-badass. People say Andi is a lot like Celaena and I can definitely see the resemblance, but at least she's likable. I just don't think this is my cup of tea.