message 2: by ravenhoe (new) - added it

ravenhoe (eclecticromance) | 13 comments what book is this

ellie (hugvvarts) | 228 comments Mod
We were liars

message 4: by ravenhoe (new) - added it

ravenhoe (eclecticromance) | 13 comments okay

message 5: by l (last edited Jul 11, 2016 05:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

l (teasleeves) | 4 comments okay, so thoughts so far:
i have mixed feelings about the writing style. on one hand, i like the simplicity of it. i like how
sometimes it goes
like this. the choppy element and lack of punctuation reminds me of e.e. cummings which i like bc it makes me feel like those thoughts are my own and helps me get into the narrator's head.
HOWEVER at times, the simplicity of it, which i really liked, gets thrown out the window and is replaced by overly elaborate descriptions. in the beginning, the writer tells us about how cadence's father got out a handgun and shot her and described how her heart fell out and how blood gushed everywhere. at first, i thought it was just a hyperbole of what had happened. i thought that he /actually/ shot her but the writer was exaggerating her injuries. then i questioned it and realized she was just describing her pain. at one point, she tells us how her brain liquified and dripped out of her ears and bubbled. um... the imagery isn't my favorite. towards the end of part 1 (TW // SELF HARM), she describes her veins splitting open. i thought this was just one of her metaphors but as i read the next sentence i realized it wasnt lol. im glad it wasnt, because while i do like metaphors, the way theyre over-exaggerated and written in as an actual event was kinda meh and made me feel disconnected from the story. as for characters, i liked that moment when gat was telling the liars about india and theyre just like shut up bc i feel like thats a pretty realistic conversation that reflects the characters well. i just like gat in general. i like how he is in awe of the world, i like how he forces cady to be more aware. there's this line about how cady and gat just enjoyed eachother's existence, and i really liked that one line because ive been in similar situations before and it described it perfectly. im not really loving the sinclairs though. theyre like a 50000x better version of my own family lololol. i like how the writer stresses how they try so hard to keep their pristine image. theres a lot more i wanna say about the family but my battery's about to die so see ya

Daniela (halfbloods) | 10 comments im starting this now lit

message 7: by l (new) - rated it 3 stars

l (teasleeves) | 4 comments also forgot to add: i really like the map and family tree at the beginning and i found myself referring to it as i read. it really helps you visualize things!

yeah I like the map too ! And I agree the metaphors can be overkill sometimes ,, also cady is sooo bland doesn't she just sound so numb

leonie (leoniegr) the start is interesting but once u meet the main character Oh Boy !

Cady is so emo but she's not even emo so it makes 0 sense

leonie (leoniegr) cady feels so fake to me like her character just seems like Aesthetics Emo and not actual depression but sure lockhart write what u want Hooroo