What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short SF - man with C-shaped scar & no memory

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cfrankie (new)

Cfrankie | 2 comments Hi there, I'm searching for a short story that was published around 2008-2010 in a collection of entries for a literary prize. I didn't recognise the author's name but remember that he (?) had won an award for it, or possibly a previous short story.

PLOT - no spoilers

A man wakes to find there is an old, healed scar on his face but he has no idea how it got there. As he tries to retrace his steps and discover what's happened to him the scar starts to swell and itch and gradually becomes an open wound. It leads to him lying on the floor of his hotel room where he discovers the truth.

I think this was a new or relatively unknown writer, and I bought the book in Canada - unsure if it was a local/national/international prize.

Thanks!!

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments There's a story about a c-shaped scar by Peter Watts (called "A Word for Heathens" - available at his website here www.rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatt...), but the idea of the scar turning back into a wound isn't in that story (that sounds more like a Rudy Rucker idea).

message 3: by Cfrankie (new)

Cfrankie | 2 comments Hi Andy, thanks for the suggestions! I checked them out - no luck - but led to some interesting reading. Thanks :)

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments Cfrankie wrote: "Hi Andy, thanks for the suggestions! I checked them out - no luck - but led to some interesting reading. Thanks :)"

Sorry it wasn't your story, but I'm glad you liked the story anyway.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40196 comments Mod
Cfrankie, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by [on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars (last edited Sep 09, 2019 11:12PM) (new)

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments Might be 7C by Jason Roberts, published in Mcsweeney's Enchanted Chamber Of Astonishing Stories. The premise match up, and the story's introduction mentions it having won the "August Van Zorn Award" which seems to be fictional (it seems to be some sort of in-joke relating to a novel that I haven't read that was written by the anthology's editor).