The Atheist Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club > August-September nominations: NON-FICTION only

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pierre A, Moderator (new)

Pierre A Renaud (par1138) | 41 comments Mod
Suggestions for the August-September group reading are accepted ! Topics covered: atheism, science, politics...

message 2: by The Reading Bibliophile, Moderator (new)

The Reading Bibliophile | 15 comments Mod
I would nominate God Is Not Great How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens by Christopher Hitchens.

I do not know if it's already been read but never mind let's re-read it!

message 3: by Youssef (new)

Youssef Eddarif | 10 comments Cynthia wrote: "I would nominate God Is Not Great How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens by Christopher Hitchens.

I do not know if it's already been read but never mind let's re-read it!"

I would do the same, a great book.

message 4: by Pierre A, Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2016 05:05PM) (new)

God Is Not Great How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens is a great classic and indeed deserves to be revisited.

Additional suggestions (classics) :

The End of Faith Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris by Sam Harris

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins by Richard Dawkins

Recent publications of interest:

Headscarves and Hymens Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution by Mona Eltahawy by Mona Eltahawy

Islam and the Future of Tolerance A Dialogue by Sam Harris by Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz

Radical My Journey from Islamist Extremism to a Democratic Awakening by Maajid Nawaz by Maajid Nawaz

Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef by Mosab Hassan Yousef

Heretic Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now by Ayaan Hirsi Ali by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Everybody Is Wrong About God by James A. Lindsay by James A. Lindsay

For the moderators: How long should we wait until a poll is created ?

TO ALL: any other book you'd like to nominate ?

message 5: by The Reading Bibliophile, Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2016 03:35AM) (new)

Next Monday, poll open for 10 days max?

message 6: by The Reading Bibliophile, Moderator (new)

Great selection of books!

message 7: by Quent (new)

Quent Cordair (quentcordair) | 8 comments If the topics covered are atheism, science, politics . . . I'll nominate my own. Unlike the other good books suggested (I'm particularly a fan of Ali's), Genesis comes in the form of fiction, taking a step beyond atheism--with a theme of what humans can be and should be for, rather than merely what they should be against. As Part I of the Idolatry saga, Genesis is set in the time when the Roman Empire and Western Civilization were falling under the crippling influence of Christianity. The story is that of an aging sculptor, his adopted son, and their romantic interests, as they struggle to keep the dream of the ancient Greeks alive. Part I serves as the overture to the main story, set in the present, in which a wealthy young heir and a devout Christian girl find themselves in the age-old struggle for the heart, mind, and soul of our human civilization. I think that the theme of, the ideas reflected in, Genesis would be ideal for discussion among this group. (We're publishing Part II, A New Eden, within the next few weeks.)
Genesis ... Genesis (Idolatry Book 1) by Quent Cordair

message 8: by The Reading Bibliophile, Moderator (new)

Thank you Quent. Your book seems interesting.
Actually we'd rather like suggestions for non-fiction books. Since we are trying to revive the group, we would like to relaunch the book club with non-fiction first. I'm sorry we did not made that clear (it seemed obvious to us :-)
In the meantime, please do not hesitate to advertise your book under the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... in the "Authors' section" folder.

message 9: by Zvonimir (new)

Zvonimir | 3 comments Speaking of classics I would nominate the Blind watchmaker by Dawkins.

message 10: by Quent (new)

Quent Cordair (quentcordair) | 8 comments Cynthia wrote: "Thank you Quent. Your book seems interesting.
Actually we'd rather like suggestions for non-fiction books. Since we are trying to revive the group, we would like to relaunch the book club with non-..."

Thanks for your polite and helpful response, Cynthia, with my apologies for any distraction. I see that the subject line has since been clarified. Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker is on my shelf, and as I've yet to read it, I'll second the nomination for same. Best regards.

message 11: by George (new)

George King (kinggeorge) | 141 comments Quent wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Thank you Quent. Your book seems interesting.
Actually we'd rather like suggestions for non-fiction books. Since we are trying to revive the group, we would like to relaunch the boo..."

I'm happy with whatever the group decides.

message 12: by Pierre A, Moderator (last edited Jul 16, 2016 03:50PM) (new)

Suggestions as of July 16th (nonfiction classics - voting will begin around July 18th) :

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins by Richard Dawkins

The Blind Watchmaker Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design by Richard Dawkins by Richard Dawkins

God Is Not Great How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens by Christopher Hitchens

The End of Faith Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris by Sam Harris

Breaking the Spell Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett by Daniel C. Dennett

Other publications of interest:

On the Historicity of Jesus Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt by Richard Carrier by Richard Carrier

Philosophers Without Gods Meditations on Atheism and the Secular Life by Louise M. Antony by Louise M. Antony

Headscarves and Hymens Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution by Mona Eltahawy by Mona Eltahawy

Islam and the Future of Tolerance A Dialogue by Sam Harris by Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz

Radical My Journey from Islamist Extremism to a Democratic Awakening by Maajid Nawaz by Maajid Nawaz

Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef by Mosab Hassan Yousef

Heretic Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now by Ayaan Hirsi Ali by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Everybody Is Wrong About God by James A. Lindsay by James A. Lindsay

Inventing a Christian America The Myth of the Religious Founding by Steven K. Green by Steven K. Green

TO EVERYBODY: Any other nonfiction book you'd like to nominate ?

message 14: by Louis (last edited Jul 13, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

Louis | 1 comments Breaking the Spell Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett This book is on my list to read.

message 15: by Pierre A, Moderator (new)

Thanks for your suggestions, David & Louis: they have been added to the list :)

message 16: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Herbert | 3 comments I would suggest On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier.

message 17: by Pierre A, Moderator (new)

Added, Edwin. Thanks !

We'll shortly vote for a non-fiction work, but your novel Mythos Christos must be amongst those considered for a future fiction reading....

message 18: by Pierre A, Moderator (new)

Thinking The New Science of Decision-Making, Problem-Solving, and Prediction by John Brockman added at the suggestion of Kichi, thanks !

message 19: by Pierre A, Moderator (new)

The Atheist Book Club: August-September Group Read: Call to Vote (ends July 28)

Note: A shorter 2nd voting round will be created if a specific title is not clearly chosen by participants, or if specific titles are difficult to buy/borrow (at the discretion of the moderators' team)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.