Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Book Discussion & Recommendation > Recommendations for a Genre Newbie?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Reposted from the wiki forum:

Hi there! What book(s) would you recommend to a newbie of this genre? I am not a fan of sappy romance novels or anything cheezy. I am an elementary school teacher looking for a real summer "escape" that can suck me in! I see this list, but completey clueless on where I should start.

I'm thinking the Kate Daniels series starting with Magic Bites. Can anyone help out? What's a good starter novel?

message 2: by Malaraa (new)

Malaraa | 335 comments Magic Bites is a solid choice for modern world magic, I'd also say Uprooted for a fairy-tale feel, or Fortune's Pawn for space-type fun. Depending on what she likes from those, then she could branch out accordingly. :)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Rowlands | 1 comments The Charlie Daniels books by Darinda Jones! Fun, light, mystery, murder, paranormal, and romance all mixed together. Just finished her latest, but I was a wee bit dissappointed. Kind of a filler for further books. However, the series overall is a great read. I actually laugh out loud sometimes!!!

message 4: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (grumpypanda) | 2 comments I totally agree with Magic Bites! I've read the whole series so far and it's a great jumping in point for Urban Fantasy. The Mercy Thompson series would be great too.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kilotangobravo) | 27 comments Ohh, okay! I'd recommend Soulless by Gail Carriger first off. Its light and charming, romantic without being witty.

I'd also recommend The Native Star by M.K. Hobson - steampunk in the American West!

Anything by Seanan McGuire. I'd start with Discount Armageddon if you want light and funny.

I'll throw in my vote for Magic Bites, as well!