Book Club - Paris discussion

Next Book > 2016 Book #5 - Moon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 207 (207 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Hello fellow bookclubbers!

For the first time in the bookclub history the topic was not chosen... So we will have to DOODLE IT!

The topics I remember through the pinky sparkling liquid are:
Louvre,
Moon
Paris
Roller-Coaster

Anyone who would like to suggest one is very welcome. Doodle will be there on Sunday evening :)

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments I think René suggested "buns".

message 3: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Oh yes, and there were "naked ladies"!

message 4: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments whatttt did this happen while I was *cruising* for a temple of convenience?

message 5: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments I'm not suggesting anything cos I'll obviously be voting for buns

message 6: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments wow. now i regret missing the meeting even more. i'm with lara; buns, obviously.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Mimi, you were missed! Will you make another? (And sorry I've not made it to yours. Just been too busy with work, arm, and physio and swimming to fix the arm.)

message 8: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments no worries, justin. things are a bit up in the air, and i might have to do an aller-retour - final move might end up being in december. who knows. on the upside, this means that i'm hoping i can make it to at least one more bookclub.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Well at least WUHOO to another book club for you!

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments So...

message 11: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Sorry for being a bit late.

Here is Topic Doodle - I really really really hope that you will at least find a book before selecting buns :)

http://doodle.com/poll/uw4wixezbymncsck

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments I was kidding, it's not late! We're in sleepy summer now anyway with people surely off on their hols...

message 13: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments is buns just a more general category than naked ladies? i'm voting as if any nudity counts... because katya, i heard on a podcast recently that there is a book of were-hedgehog erotica and thought of you. :)

message 14: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Oh great ... now all the "original" erotica books will be my brand :))

message 15: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments There's a tie between Moon and Buns
I repeat, there's a tie between Moon and Buns

well done, book club community

message 16: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments yay! it's gonna be a good month... either topic works for were-hedgehogs.

message 17: by René (new)

René (cigro) | 643 comments Mod
I will be back just in time for next book club, fare thee well my little moonbuns!

message 18: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Good Morning fellow bookclubbers... i hope there was nobody in Nice yesterday...

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments God, I hope not. Such grimness. :(

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments In happier times, the moon is now bigger than buns.

message 21: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments well here it goes - Moon it is ! Any great books about it ?

message 22: by Tania (new)

Tania U I know a good one which you may also know The Night Before Christmas Plenty of moon inside and I also remember it as one of the craziest stories I've ever read: witches flying as well as Ukranian kinda buns, galoushki, moving on its own (it was in this book, wasn't it) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halu%C5... Set in Ukraine and written in Russian, it could reconcile not only moon and bun lovers...

message 23: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments If you want we can set the meeting doodle right now - so that we ar esure to meet while Naomi is here , if there is a chance

message 24: by Tania (new)

Tania U I've been thinking about the same thing!

message 25: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments I'd love to suggest Paul Auster's Moon Palace but I assume it's much more about the symbolism of the moon than about actual craters or buns.

message 26: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Moon Palace is the only book I could think of, title-wise, but I read it about ten years ago and thought it totally sucked. There's 1Q84, with its two moons backstory, but its length may kill the book club!

message 27: by Tania (new)

Tania U The Night Before Christmas is 56 pages! And it's very fun! Even though we read it at school and it's a classic. Very idiosyncratic also to Russian and Ukrainian cultures! Vote for it!

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments It sounds great (just looked at the details) but reading about Xmas out of season just seems soooo weird to this non-Christian!

message 29: by Tania (new)

Tania U Come on! Don't be boring! It's winter in the other hemisphere, so it's tantamount to January here.

message 30: by Sanjeev (new)

Sanjeev | 116 comments Mod
I still have not read The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. So I'll suggest that.

message 31: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments i'm going to recommend Nights at the Circus - i'm sure the moon is mentioned at least a few times, and there is no shortage of buns.

message 32: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments oh, and if we go straight to a meet doodle, can we leave it up for a little longer? i won't know my schedule for at least another week or so...

message 33: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Ok , just let us know when your ok with it :)

Cant think about any great book. My mind stops at Melies movie ... and then Im blocked because its not a book and then it starts over again ...

message 34: by Viviane (new)

Viviane | 172 comments Hello everybody ! I m going to recommend The moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

Have a great summer !

Viviane

message 35: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments THE RIGHT STUFF - yes please. Then I can finally watch the film too...

message 36: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments hello everybody! i would like to propose another classic (shame on me i even didnt know it existed ) Around thé Moon by (wait for it) Jules Verne !
last chance to select a book and ill do a doodle tomorrow

message 37: by Tania (new)

Tania U I read two books by Jules Verne some weeks ago and was greatly disappointed...

message 39: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Night in the Circus seems to be a leader. Anyone else to vote?

message 40: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Rene is in Greece...

message 41: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments So Night in the Circus it is ?

message 42: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments i messaged him... he may vote!

message 43: by René (new)

René (cigro) | 643 comments Mod
Sorrrrrry I'm so out of the loop right now, fruitty or otherwise. Voted though! Not very helpful m'afraid as it's now a three-way tie. Oh dear oh dear

message 44: by Tania (new)

Tania U Hm, who is Tom Wolfe? If we don't count him, it's a two-tier. And then how about letting people choose which book to read among the two winners. Some bookclubs do it. I don't know about how successful it is but why don't we try and see? May be fun to talk about two different books and share with those who will have read another book. Also, it may encourage people to READ since it looks like last times many didn't not read chosen books at all.

message 45: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments I think that's a sweet idea!

message 46: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments You do you, but I'm not lugging three different book club books in my suitcase, they only authorize a certain amount at security in a sealed transparent bag

message 47: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments Oh wait that's right who's that Tom Wolfe in the doodle! C'mon Tommy did you forget to take your meds again and scoured Goodreads for a mention of you?

message 48: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments As the host, I suggest if Tom Wolfe does not reveal himself it will be a two-way tie.

@Tom its your choice :)

Anyways the readers of Gogol will be faster then those who prefer the Circus.

So my second resolution in this tie is that we say main reading is the Circus ( not because I voted for it) and Gogol for another metro trip to the meeting point ? I base this proposition on several facts :
- Gogol is shorter
- its Xmas book ( so only for those who have Xmas nostalgie in august)

So everyone can read one or both, but i suggest we keep one main book.

This work only if Tom does not show himself. If he does. Well Ill try to think of another plan.

Sounds good to all of you?

message 49: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments Three cheers for Angela :)

message 50: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments That Tom won't reveal himself he's always... crying Wolfe?

« previous 1 3 4 5