Reading 1001 discussion

The Story of the Stone, or The Dream of the Red Chamber, Vol. 4: The Debt of Tears
Archives > 8. Quotes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour 8. What passages strike you as insightful, even profound? Perhaps a bit of dialog that's funny or poignant or that encapsulates a character? Maybe there's a particular comment that states the book's thematic concerns?

John Seymour Unlike the previous books, there were fewer passages that struck me as I was reading and none that I marked.

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
These are what I highlighted on the kindle:

"Dai-Yu looked at the orchids. Among them were some of the double headed kind, and looking at these, she had a strange sensation that they meant something, Whether it was joy or sorrow that they portended, she could not tell. But it was something of importance."

"She seemed to take against me, almost as if we had some feud from a past life."

"No remedy but love, Can make the lovesick well: Only the hand that tied the know, Can loose the tiger's bell."

"I have given my heart to Cousin Lin. If she marries me, she will bring it with her and put it back in its proper place."

"There is', replied the man with a superior smile, 'and yet there is not, such a place. It is a teaching, devised to warn mankind in its blind attachment to life and death."

Diane  | 2051 comments "O boundless sky! Will ye not hearken to my cry? Above, the twinkling Milky Way; The air cold, slanting moonlight, the water-clock sunk past midnight. My restless heart grieves still.”

message 5: by Pip (last edited Dec 29, 2016 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pip | 1448 comments Grandmother Jia asks her grandson: "Bao darling, do you remember last year when you were so seriously ill, and those two holy men - that mad-looking monk and that lame Taoist - came and cured you, in the nick of time - what did the illness feel like". The Buddhist monk and the Taoist priest are mentioned once again. I foresee them cropping up again at the end.

Also Bao-Yu regarding the flowering crab-apple: "The more he gazed at the blossom the more lovely and poignant it seemed, the more strangely it seemed to reflect the mysterious vagaries of destiny, the joy and pathos of life".