Libri Labra Book Club discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
Group Reads > The Gunslinger

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Desirai | 256 comments Mod
This will be my first Stephen King book. Can't wait to dive in. Has anyone started it yet?

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom | 264 comments I have not yet. To date, my Stephen King reading has been the short story Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (on which the movie was based), 11/23/63 (on which the Hulu original series is based), and a short story The Little Sisters of Eluria, which is set in the Dark Tower world, and features the Gunslinger.

John and I finally started this. I've never read a King book (though now that I think of it I have watch A LOT of movies based on them) so I was having a hard time identifying if he was being literal or poetic at the start.

I haven't read enough to fully process the world building yet. But after doing some quick searching I realized he's being mostly literal and Devil Grass is actually a psychoactive drug. That definitely helped put things into perspective. lol

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom | 264 comments Yeah, that ol' debil grass....

Though King seems to be running roughshod over one particular taboo from what I've read so far (about 1/3 of the way through the book). He's also finally giving some useful world-building information too.

message 5: by Tom (last edited Aug 03, 2016 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom | 264 comments And from the things I wish were true file...

(view spoiler)

I'm having trouble fully understanding this world. At first I thought it was a made up desert wasteland. However, they mention music I'm familiar with, and Times Square and technology. I don't get where this story lives.

message 7: by Abel (new) - added it

Abel | 4 comments Hi all!
I started reading this book recently and have to admit that Im not fully engaged yet. I have read maybe 4 or 5 King books and enjoy his stuff but this one is taking some time to get going.
I figured I would join this group so I can get through this book with some others and help me from abandoning it all together.

Hi Abel! Welcome! You're not alone. My husband and I are having trouble getting into the book as well. How far are you into the book?

I have not read any other Stephen King books. Is his writing style the same for all of them?

message 9: by Abel (new) - added it

Abel | 4 comments Im maybe 50 or so pages in, Im reading it on my Kindle and it doesn't have page number.

In my opinion he can drag a bit sometimes, but I heard that this book is a pain to get through anyways. However everyone seems to say that the series as a whole is totally worth it.

Ah, I'm listening to the audibook. I don't know how fast you read, but if you happen to finish the book by Sunday 8pm ET, please feel free to catch our book discussion for it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66cwi...

Did you hear they are making a movie of it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/?...

message 11: by Abel (new) - added it

Abel | 4 comments So originally I thought I was about 50 pages in but after some research I was only 25 pages in. i didn't know the page count and Kindle only gives percentage.
Anyways, I'm about 365 or 80 something pages in as of last night.The story is picking up and probably finish it by the end of the weekend.

I'm thinking that jumping right into the story in the beginning of the book is what was hardest. I always find it difficult to jump right in with no context when reading. Once I got a feel for the world its taking place in and for some of the characters I'm looking forward to finding out more about them.

I heard about the movie, it's the reason I decided to read this series now. Im hoping it will be good!

I still can't figure out what plane of existence Roland is on. Is he in some kind of limbo?

message 13: by Abel (new) - added it

Abel | 4 comments I think some sort-of post-apocalyptic? I think there was mention of widespread disease and famine and there are clearly remnants of civilization around.
Just about all King books have an aura of mysticism or spiritual forces/"magic" that, in my view, require you just go along for the ride.
If he says giant spiders were the end of all humanity. OK.
There's a demon in the sewers that takes the form of a clown. Sure Mr. King, what ever you say.
It usually pays off in the end. :)

Ha! True true. I don't mind believing whatever he says but I need to at least understand it. lol It seems like there are spirits involved. At least that's my perception of it. I guess I'll keep reading.

message 15: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom | 264 comments I think it depends on how you think time and space work in King's reality. It's possible that the story takes place on our Earth, but long after an apocalyptic confrontation. Or, it could take place on a parallel Earth which co-exists with the earth we know. (If you're watching The Flash on the CW, they started up with Earth-1 and Earth-2. ) I don't think there's really any information in the novel which leads you one way or the other.