CanadianContent discussion

Genres > Mystery

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3562 comments Mod
A spot to discuss mysteries...

message 2: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments https://www.thestar.com/entertainment...

I know this is an older article, but I love what it says about Canadian crime writers, why they're excelling and the genre itself. I have had it bookmarked for awhile and thought this may be a good place to share it.

message 3: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 229 comments @ Natasha, loved the article. I normally don't read mysteries (unless they're in a romance) but find myself rather tempted by Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.

Another mystery I've had in my to-read list for a while and am wondering if anyone has read is Fall From Grace by Wayne Arthurson. It's set in Edmonton and follows a journalist turned amateur detective who gets caught up in a story about the murder of a young aboriginal prostitute.

message 4: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments The series by Robert Rotenberg was recommended to me by a co-worker and I read every single book of Detective Ari Greene, set in Toronto, and I loved it!
Not mentioned in that article is Ian Hamilton and his Ave Lee series which I found quite entertaining as well.

message 5: by ❀ Susan (new)

I don't tend to read a lot of mysteries but my book club read The Life We Bury and I enjoyed the twists and turned of this easy read!

message 6: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 590 comments Ironically, I was recently sent an ARC of Invisible Dead by Vancouver author, Sam Wiebe. I will let you know my thoughts soon as I plan to get reading it this weekend. I like a good mystery that takes place in Canadian locales.

message 7: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 590 comments I also recommend author Marcelle Dube who has writes Canadian mystery novels. I am slightly biased in that I love that several of her books are in a fictional town in MB. Who says a good mystery cannot take place on the flat Prairies...!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments One of my Bingo books was the gay noir Lake on the Mountain by Toronto author, Jeffrey Round, who has won the Lambda award. The series is based mainly in Toronto.

message 9: by Natasha (last edited Jul 08, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments Thanks for the recommendations @Shvaugn, @Wanda, @Susan and @Mary Anne!

I just finished The Beggar's OperaPeggy Blair and I adored it! I love her main character, Inspector Ricardo Rameriz, the Cuban setting (and how much I learned about the realities of daily life in Cuba from that book) and the intelligent, snappy writing. I'm so happy I discovered the author and series from a previous group! Five stars!

I do tend to love mysteries, and I'm intrigued and excited by the wealth of Canadian masters of the genre I'm just discovering. I anticipate many, many happy reading hours ahead.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I love the Emile Cinq-Mars series by John Farrow particularly since most of them are set in Montreal, but also because he is such a great writer. He has written some great literature under his real name Trevor Ferguson. If I may copy a blurb:

the publication of his first novel, High Water Chants, in 1977, which Dennis Lee called one of the best in the language. His second novel, Onyx John, in 1985, received (arguably) the highest critical acclaim in the history of Canadian literature. Leon Rooke called it one of the five best novels of the twentieth century. Sixteen years later, the novel would become a bestseller in France. Indeed, his work is highly regarded in France, where he's often cited as being one of the world's pre-eminent writers...

Now he has turned his hand at crime writing because it pays more, lol, but also because he's really enjoying (I heard him speak a few months ago). His detective Cinq-Mars is more authentic than Penny's Gamache IMO.

message 11: by Natasha (last edited Jul 10, 2016 07:13AM) (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments Thanks for the recommendation, @Louise. I've added that book to my TBR mountain.

I also received a recommendation yesterday from my librarian friend to read The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe, which is a pseudonym for Canadian writer Micheal Redhill. It's the first book in his Hazel Micallef Mystery series he set in Port Dundas, a small town outside Toronto. Has anyone read him? I'm looking forward to it!

But first, I'm on to Still Life by Louise Penny. It's one of the 100 Books that Make us Proud to be Canadian, so it fits into my CanLit July Blitz challenge, and I've been excited about it for awhile. I also picked up The Poisoned Pawn by Peggy Blair because the first book was so very, very well written and I want to know more about Inspector Ricardo Ramirez. There are only four books in the series so far, and normally I'm stingy with series I know I'll love so the "new" reading experience lasts longer, but I don't know if I can resist this one!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments @ Natasha .. I loved Inger Ash Wolfe books. I have read 4 of the series so far and was not disappointed. Do read them in order as Hazel changes throughout the series. I first saw the film "The Calling" with Susan Sarandon as Hazel and that led me to the series.
I am anxiously awaiting the latest by Louise Penny as I devoured the others.
Peggy Blair series also gets better as the series progresses with more Cuban intrigue. There is a 4 th - Umbrella Man just out that I am waiting for.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments I am reading a detective mystery Seaweed on Ice by Stanley Evans who moved to Canada in 1954. He lives in BC and the main character in the Seaweed series is a Salish street cop named Silas Seaweed. The style is a bit noir but with some native shaman magic lore thrown in. This is the second in the series and I was happy it fits for the 's' in August.

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra | 674 comments @Shvaugn, I really enjoy the Louise Penny series. I wasn't entirely committed until the second book, though. I found the first rather "fluffy" but see now that Louise was introducing all the characters and their interwoven lives. I find the series more about the characters than the mystery.

@Mary Anne, I've read one of the Seaweed series as well (Seaweed on the Rocks). I've got another on my bookcase that I found at a Sally Ann shop and I'm looking forward to reading it.

From the article: I have never thought about the author's commitment to a series. Setting one's mind to writing a new novel every 9-12 months is daunting. That's a huge commitment.

message 15: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments @Mary Anne I put a hold on the first Inger Ashe book and there's only one person ahead of me on the hold list now. I'm getting there!

message 16: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments PS I also lost added "Seaweed on the Street" to my TBR skyscraper.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments Seaweed on the Street is the first of 5 Seaweeds. In reading the second in the series, I find there are references to events in the first book, so reading them in order makes us more connected to Seaweed's world.

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

A great article on Louise Penny from CBC. What they did not talk about is that she is a caregiver for her spouse with dementia while writing her novels which is amazing: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/08/louis...

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

some suggestions for mystery reading from Shelagh Rogers and Linwood Barclay: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/11/myste...

message 20: by Anne ✨ (last edited Mar 31, 2018 01:21PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

I just read this, and I didn't even realize she was a Canadian author until after I'd read it and looked her up :) (the story was set in small town Vermont, so no clues to that fact in the book )

I found it a compulsive listen on audio. It had great atmosphere and a steady suspense. The book bends genres a bit, it's mystery, with supernatural/ghost elements and a historical feel with time-shifting from 1950's to 2014.

I don't read a lot of mystery, but I liked this - the tightly-wound story line, gothic atmosphere, and creepy suspense made it unputdownable for me, I finished it in just over a day. :)

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim Mitchell | 34 comments I had the opportunity to see Trevor Ferguson at One Book One Brant. He writes under the pen name John Farrow. He is a Canadian Author and I had not realized how much I missed reading a good mystery lately. He was a great story teller at the event, chronicling his childhood and what shaped him as an author. He has inspired me to find some of his other novels,

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2018...
Check out the link to the story on the event.

message 22: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 1 comments I’m wondering if anyone knows of any locked-door mysteries by an Indigenous Canadian author?