Play Book Tag discussion

A Spot of Bother
This topic is about A Spot of Bother
Archive: Other Books > A Spot of Bother

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marti (coloreader) A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon--3 stars

A latecomer to audio books, I can say I really enjoyed the narration of this book. A Spot of Bother is about George and his family, who are thoroughly dysfunctional. George believes he has cancer, his wife Jean is having an affair with a former co-worker of George, Jamie is struggling with his boyfriend leaving him and the fact that few people even know he is a homosexual, and the daughter Katie is marrying for the second time, to an absolutely inappropriate man.

George reminded me of a more meek Ove (A Man Called Ove), a kindly curmudgeon, slightly demented, and a little older than his 61 years would dictate. Being 60 myself, I downright rebelled at the thought that George was acting the way he was at his age! No one in the family communicates with any of the others and spend a lot of time wondering how a certain family member or the other might be thinking or doing.

I could have done without the cussing and the rather graphic telling of sex scenes, although I understand the use in the context. I might have given it another star had this not been the case. Yes, I'm a bit of a prude concerning what I read!

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Marti wrote: "A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon--3 stars

A latecomer to audio books, I can say I really enjoyed the narration of this book. A Spot of Bother is about George and his family, who are thoroughly dysf..."

I absolutely loved this book. I was just a little under George's age when I read it. I found it extremely funny - liked it more than The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I think the late 50's is a rocky time for many people. Careers have stalled for most people and young adult children have fledged - or not. People have plenty of money for retirement or they don't. Children are no longer being shaped, they are unfolding. It's a time of reevaluation for many people. I thought Haddon parodied that angst beautifully.