Star Trek Reads discussion

Hailing Frequencies > All Things Romulan

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) I didn't see a thread for this topic, so I took the liberty of starting one myself. Only just joined, so I hope that's okay!

What's your favorite book featuring those stealthy space elves? It's a hard choice for me, but I think I'll say Vulcan's Forge and Vulcan's Heart, by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz.

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 17 comments My favorite Praetor is in the Typhon Pact series. That's about all I can say without giving some things away. (It certainly isn't Shinzon...)

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 35 comments Diane Duane's Rihannsu series is my favorite.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Oh, yeah! Diane Duane is AWESOME!! I love all her books!

Haven't read Typhon Pact -- just added it to my list!

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 17 comments Jennifer - if you haven't read the Destiny series by David Mack then you should read those before the Typhon Pact.

Lee - why did you like Rihannsu?

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee | 35 comments Andrew wrote: "Lee - why did you like Rihannsu?"

Initially, I enjoyed the 1st one for giving Kirk a noble and capable opponent. The 2nd one featured an undercover Federation agent, and I usually like characters living /around/ the main Enterprise crew. The 3rd & 4th came out much later, I've only read them once so far. They seemed to follow through from the first two in a logical manner.

I liked that Duane created a political and social setting for the Romulan Empire (calling themselves Rihannsu). At the time, I was also reading the Star Trek role-playing game (FASA), and there were many consistencies, which I appreciated.

Finally, Duane's a good writer, who understands Star Trek rather well and has a way of working humor into the stories. Naraht, the Horta officer, is a personal favorite of mine.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Lee, do you RP yourself?

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee | 35 comments Yes, but not in Trek. I bought a lot of the FASA things way back in the day, but my brother and I could never scrape up a group to play it. Our friends would play D&D or board-wargames, but Sci-fi RPGs were beyond them.

Anymore, I have two tabletop RPG groups, one for D&D (Pathfinder) and one for anything but. The latter hasn't touched Trek, though it came close one time before breaking up for a few years. I'm in two groups for wargames, one of them is for Star Fleet Battles, which is a Trek spin-off.

message 9: by Dan (last edited Jul 18, 2016 09:14PM) (new)

Dan I have always been a great fan of the well-known TNG episodes "Unification" and "Face of the Enemy" about which Wikipedia states:

"Circa stardate 44995.3 (December 28, 2367), the Vulcan Ambassador Spock was discovered on Romulus, working with an underground movement for the reunification of the divided races. The Romulans saw this as a chance to conquer the Vulcans and sent a fleet of ships toward Vulcan, but their intent was discovered and the fleet destroyed by the Romulans themselves. Spock elected to remain underground on Romulus to teach the Vulcan heritage to those who might listen. These efforts facilitated the defection of Vice Proconsul M'Ret to the Federation."

I wonder if these two episodes were ever referred to in any novels, or other stories, and the results expanded upon. I've often felt the episodes should have been followed up somehow, like we didn't have the end of or entire story.

message 10: by gary (new)

gary simpson | 4 comments spock was in vulcan's soul books . I think there was 3 of them

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Dan wrote: "I have always been a great fan of the well-known TNG episodes "Unification" and "Face of the Enemy" about which Wikipedia states:

"Circa stardate 44995.3 (December 28, 2367), the Vulcan Ambassador..."

Crossover, by Michael Jan Friedman is a sequel to the "Unification" episode. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Also, the short story "Turncoats," featured in The Sky's The Limit, is about Ensign DeSeve. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

message 13: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke | 32 comments Neral is in two stories in the trade paperback Tale of the Dominion War.

Elements of "Face of the Enemy" show up in A Singular Destiny and one of the stories in The Sky's the Limit.

One of my favorite stories to feature Romulans is the first Titan novel, Taking Wing.

message 14: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Nichole Defield (amelianichole) | 13 comments Not sure if this it the right place, but I'm looking for a Star Trek book about two Romulan twins who are entertainers and at the end of the book they defect. It was a TNG book.

message 15: by Oz (last edited Oct 22, 2018 01:06AM) (new)

Oz Trekkie (oztrekkie) | 11 comments I think Probe is the book you are looking for. Margaret Wander Bonanno is the author. It is a TOS era novel, I'm not aware of any other stories that have been written about Romulan twins defecting

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill | 13 comments Margaret Wander Bonanno's stories are great, she really nows Star Trek. I once heard that Probe by MWB, was heavily rewritten. If you go to http://www.margaretwanderbonanno.com/..., & email her, she will send you a copy of her original novel via email, entitled Music of the Spheres.

message 17: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Nichole Defield (amelianichole) | 13 comments Thank you AJ and Bill, I will see if that is the one I'm looking for. I used to inhale Star Trek books when I was a preteen so I am still trying to get the stories straight when looking for ones I read before. ;)

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 3 comments I love Diane Duane's books, and Diane Carey's Final Frontier builds on Duane's universe. There is a great Romulan main character in Final Frontier. There is also some interesting Romulan history and a Romulan minor character in Memory Prime by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen | 3 comments Forgot to mention The Pandora Principle, which is the story of Saavik and has lots of Romulan stuff in it.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 16 comments Hi! I'm way behind on all things ST. I was surprised to learn that the Romulans have become allies of the Federation. So I've been trying to find out: Which books can I read to learn how that happened?

Also, I see Duane's Rihannsu series mentioned again and again as I try to find the answer to this. Do I need to read (or watch) anything besides a basic understanding of Original Series before reading them?

message 21: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke | 32 comments Cheryl wrote: "Hi! I'm way behind on all things ST. I was surprised to learn that the Romulans have become allies of the Federation. So I've been trying to find out: Which books can I read to learn how that happe..."

For the Rihannsu books, you do not need any special knowledge to enjoy them. Having seen "The Enterprise Incident" is helpful, though. She does reference or include elements from some of her other books, so The Wounded Sky and Spock's World may enhance your enjoyment of the Rihannsu series.

The actual books where the Romulans ally to some degree with the Federation are Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn. For greater context, I would recommend reading Titan: Taking Wing, A Singular Destiny, and Rough Beasts of Empire, but George recaps enough in his books that you will get the general idea without them.

In general, Star Trek books are written with the idea that anyone who has seen the show can enjoy them. Anything labeled as a second or third book on the cover generally assumes that you have read the previous volumes in that mini-series/trilogy/duology, but that is about it. The writers take advantage of being in a shared universe and try to keep everything consistent, so reading more can give you a richer experience than reading one single story.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 16 comments Brandon, thank you, that is the perfect information to help me! I do hope to read more again after slacking off for a couple of lost decades; all the books you mention will be a great start imo. And yes, I will try to view that episode, too.