RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

My Name is Georgia

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
Yet, another picture book about Georgia O'Keeffee! Hope you enjoy!

message 2: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments My Name is Georgia

Georgia O’Keefe lived to be 98 years old. She was an independent soul that did what she wanted throughout her entire life. She always knew that she was different than other kids her age. She did not let this discourage her, instead she embraced her individuality. This helped her develop a strong personality and to follow her dreams.
This story would be great to use in the classroom to encourage students to follow their dreams. O’Keefe can be used as an example to students to embrace individuality. I would use this story to get an idea of my student’s interests. I would use their interests and dreams to incorporate engaging literature into the classroom.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments This was my personal favorite out of the three. I loved hearing her point of view on her work ethic and her tenacity. She is very realistic on how one could accomplish these dreams, and gives details about how she stayed thoroughly involved with her artwork in different ways. I think studying more about her would be fun for some students; also, you could discuss animal bone characteristics versus other animals or vs humans.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Georgia was very different from her siblings. She dressed differently and was always alone. She expressed her ideas through art. My Name Is Georgia is an excellent introductory biography. Students can learn how to write a short biography about themselves or other artists/characters from a book read in class.

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments I think that this is a great story to show that being different is ok. Georgia was not the same as the people around her but she followed her heart and did what she loved to do, which was paint. It was nice to see how she found inspiration from everything around her. This story is about following your dreams, being true to yourself, and doing what you love to do which is a great lesson for all students to learn. The illustrations in this book are also beautiful. This would be good for a biography unit along with the other collection of Georgia books.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Ashley wrote: "This was my personal favorite out of the three. I loved hearing her point of view on her work ethic and her tenacity. She is very realistic on how one could accomplish these dreams, and gives detai..."

I agree I think this was also my favorite. Great idea about studying the bone characteristics, I definitely didn't think about that.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Ami wrote: "My Name is Georgia

Georgia O’Keefe lived to be 98 years old. She was an independent soul that did what she wanted throughout her entire life. She always knew that she was different than other kid..."

I like that you would use this book to help you understand who your students are. I definitely think this is a great story about following your dreams.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Joanne wrote: "Georgia was very different from her siblings. She dressed differently and was always alone. She expressed her ideas through art. My Name Is Georgia is an excellent introductory biography. Students ..."

I love your idea of the students writing their own short autobiographies! They could include their own pictures-- if old enough, it could be done on the computer!!

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ashley wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Georgia was very different from her siblings. She dressed differently and was always alone. She expressed her ideas through art. My Name Is Georgia is an excellent introductory biogr..."

Now you're talking! I like the extension of the students including pictures. They can even try to draw themselves!

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Victoria wrote: I think that this is a great story to show that being different is ok. Georgia was not the same as the people around her but she followed her heart and did what she loved to do, which was paint.

Victoria, this concept could be a great discussion. Students can look for other books that discuss how others act and look different. For example, the book Wonder is another great book that can be introduced and read in class after My name is Georgia.

message 11: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments This book shows that it is okay to be different and know what you want. Georgia wanted to show the world from her perspective. No matter who you are, you have something to offer the world. It's also about commitment and pursuing what you love. This is a great book to share with kids to show them that it's okay to embrace who you are.
With something like this I would want to set up an object in the room, have the students gather around it, all in different angles and I want them to draw what they see. Then they can compare and understand the difference of perspectives. Can see the same thing differently

message 12: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Ami wrote: "My Name is Georgia

Georgia O’Keefe lived to be 98 years old. She was an independent soul that did what she wanted throughout her entire life. She always knew that she was different than other kid..."

I really like your idea on using this as an introduction for like an interest survey to help in your future selections!

message 13: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Joanne wrote: "Georgia was very different from her siblings. She dressed differently and was always alone. She expressed her ideas through art. My Name Is Georgia is an excellent introductory biography. Students ..."

I really like the thought of writing a biography about other characters because it gives them a change to look at other perspectives and it entails inference as well as writing!

message 14: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments this book really shows how not just Georgia but anyone can hold on to who they are not allow anything to take then of their course in life...it sometimes it's not easy being different but Georgia shows the beauty of embracing what you believe in and not being afraid to stand out from the crowd...

message 15: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Joanne, I think it's a great idea to write a biography of another student or an autobiographyof themselves...but also they could write about themselves but from the 3rd person perspective...that's a challenge for some writers

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments First of all, it has wonderful, I repeat, WONDERFUL, illustrations. Second, I like that it is nonfiction and about an artist I really enjoyed learning about. It is written in the first person of Georgia and I like that.
For this book, I could see using it in upper elementary, 5th grade comes to mind.

§110.16. English Language Arts and Reading, Grade 5

(b) Knowledge and skills

(7) Reading/Comprehension of Literary Text/Literary Nonfiction. Students understand, make inferences and draw conclusions about the varied structural patterns and features of literary nonfiction and provide evidence from text to support their understanding. Students are expected to identify the literary language and devices used in biographies and autobiographies, including how authors present major events in a person's life.

(10) Reading/Comprehension of Informational Text/Culture and History. Students analyze, make inferences and draw conclusions about the author's purpose in cultural, historical, and contemporary contexts and provide evidence from the text to support their understanding. Students are expected to draw conclusions from the information presented by an author and evaluate how well the author's purpose was achieved.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Joanne wrote: "Georgia was very different from her siblings. She dressed differently and was always alone. She expressed her ideas through art. My Name Is Georgia is an excellent introductory biography. Students ..."

Love this idea!! Biography and Autobiography came to mind when I was reading this book. Having students write about themselves or another student would be a great extension activity!! Thanks for the idea!!

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Ami wrote: "My Name is Georgia

I love the idea of using this as part of an interest survey.

message 19: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments I liked this book as well. I have really learned a lot about Georgia's life through these picture books. I like the style in which this book was written, and for me, it brings all the books together. I think this book along with Through Georgia's Eyes, and Georgia in Hawaii students can get an idea of a unique/different way to write an autobiography. I think this book could also be used with lower elementary students as well. I plan to have all of the "Georgia" books in my classroom library.

-Nickole Castillo

message 20: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ixtchel wrote: "this book really shows how not just Georgia but anyone can hold on to who they are not allow anything to take then of their course in life...it sometimes it's not easy being different but Georgia s..."

Ixtchel,
I see this theme throughout her life and all of her books. It is something that we all need to live by and we should teach our students to value being different than everyone else.

-Nickole

message 21: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ashley wrote: "This was my personal favorite out of the three. I loved hearing her point of view on her work ethic and her tenacity. She is very realistic on how one could accomplish these dreams, and gives detai..."

Ashley,
I agree with you! This book is awesome. I think students could take what Georgia did to stay determined to do what she loves and apply it to their life. It would be a good reflection for students.

-Nickole

message 22: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments I truly enjoyed this book. The visuals in he book are fantastic and it will help the students follow along in the story. I love how it talks about her life and how she succeed with her art work. An activity for the students to do it compare he things she painted. The students could compare the size, color and shape of objects.

message 23: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments I really enjoyed this book, the pictures were awesome. This book is about following your dreams and never giving up on what you desire to do with your life (for the good of course) Georgia knew she was different from everyone else, but she loved what she did. She saw art through many things, she was very creative, and expressive and it show through her art. Georgia did not let what others thought of her stop her fro m painting. I would definitely use this book in my classroom. I probably would have an open discussion about this book. Get the students to open up and ask questions, like is ok to do something different, can your dreams be fulfilled. Is being different classified as being a nerd, or somebody with different talents that want to explore them. Yes this would topic for sixth graders, since the are at the exploring age, trying to find who they are. Perhaps they could find their talents in some academic subject, band, choir, writing, just like Georgia found hers in art.

message 24: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments I like what Ixtchel stated we need to teach our students to value someone who is different. We need to help them understand not everyone wants the same things in life, and everyone makes different decisions about things, and when this happens that does not mean there is a right or wrong to it.

message 25: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Stephanie wrote: "First of all, it has wonderful, I repeat, WONDERFUL, illustrations. Second, I like that it is nonfiction and about an artist I really enjoyed learning about. It is written in the first person of Ge..."Stephanie I really liked your idea for the students. I had never thought of that before. I think it would be great for the students to present what they found to the class.

message 26: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Tanner wrote: "This book shows that it is okay to be different and know what you want. Georgia wanted to show the world from her perspective. No matter who you are, you have something to offer the world. It's als..." Tanner, I like your idea of having the students draw different angles of things they see in the classroom. I think it would challenge the students to look at different things.

message 27: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments I also like Joanne's idea, having the students do a biography about themselves. I think this would be awesome, and I believe the students would love it. Again sixth graders, this time for them is like exploration city. I think they would enjoy learning about their classmates, finding things they didn't know, but thought they did. tis would make for a great day of Welcome To Me, this is who and what I am all about, the autobiography of Marion Oliver:)

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Marion wrote: "I really enjoyed this book, the pictures were awesome. This book is about following your dreams and never giving up on what you desire to do with your life (for the good of course) Georgia knew she..."

I agree that many young people don't follow their passion in the arts since some activities are perceived as "dorky". What a wonderful way to introduce other amazing individuals that have stayed true to their passions and character.