RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

Flipped

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
Wonderful book to use for teaching "Point of View".

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Jul 11, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments This is a pretty great book for middle schoolers and even early high schoolers. I read it because I'm looking into the young adult category for my students. There are a lot of lessons to be learned here about growing up, friendships, and family. I'd recommend it to young teens. A very quick and enjoyable.

While reading this book, dialogue journal responses came to mind. I would pair students into reading buddings and have them write a response to the text in the journal. Then they will give the journal to their buddy. Each person will write his reaction to what was written by his/her buddy.
Students will have the option of responding to a prompt or choosing their own related topic for writing in the journal.

message 3: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments I read this book in middle school and I really liked it. I thought this book was interesting and an easy read. Older elementary students and middle school students would like to read this book. The book I have has half of the book facing one way and the other half upside down. I thought this was really cool, and I think students will too. I found a website that has a few good ideas to do along with this book (http://www.bookrags.com/lessonplan/fl...).

-Nickole Castillo

message 4: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is a pretty great book for middle schoolers and even early high schoolers. I read it because I'm looking into the young adult category for my students. There are a lot of lessons to be learned..."

Stephanie,
I like your idea of writing back and forth to other students in a journal. You could also have students pretend to be a newspaper journalist or reporter and they have to write about a scene in the book like a newspaper journalist or reporter would.

-Nickole

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments At first I didn’t really care for the novel. I like the style of the two different povs, but at times found the story too drawn out to captivate my attention as other books in this format have in the past.

But the lessons changed my opinion by the end. I appreciated that Bryce had to deal with a “sunshine” friend situation; it is important that boys have a kinder friend to share their intimate feelings with. The socioeconomic theme clearly demonstrates that we tend to judge based off wealth & perceived wealth. Except for Juli, but she has a special kindness. Her attitudes towards animals, nature, her uncle, and Jon’s situation show that intelligence and compassion are critical to combating unfounded biases.

What made me truly appreciate the book is how the author uses notions that are embedded in our youth/young-adult culture. We do not connect with our elderly much, some are still cruel towards those with a mental disability, and how we will persistently chase the wrong person at times.

I absolutely understand the overwhelming crush… I have been there. This book might have appealed to me as a young teen.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Nickole wrote: "I read this book in middle school and I really liked it. I thought this book was interesting and an easy read. Older elementary students and middle school students would like to read this book. The..."

These are great ideas, thanks! I am really trying to get into graphic novels/manga (my boys are nuts over them). I also really like letter writing with this book.

message 7: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ashley wrote: "At first I didn’t really care for the novel. I like the style of the two different povs, but at times found the story too drawn out to captivate my attention as other books in this format have in t..."

Ashley,
I think this book would have appealed to you as a teen as well. Thats when I found this book and I loved it. After rereading it again, I liked it but not as much as I remembered...maybe it was an age thing. :)

-Nickole

message 8: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments really didn't care for this book.

message 9: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments I really enjoyed this book! The characters each had their own interesting story. Even though the points of views were seen through Bryce and Juli’s eyes, the reader got a sense of the other character’s morality. I thought it was interesting to hear the same story through two different perspectives. This gives the reader the realization that not everything is as it seems. We never know what someone is going through so we should never judge people or make assumptions. I think the person that was most guilty of this was Bryce’s father. Some of the things that he said reflected his true colors and personality.
This would be a great story for middle school students to reflect on point of view, honesty, and what it means to be a true friend. I would use this book to discuss how all of the characters “flipped” in the book as the story was told. This book would be a great tool to use to discuss character analysis as each character learned something new about themselves or each other.
My only complaint about the book was the ending! It aggravates me to no end when books leave me hanging. I want to know the conclusion of the story so I can put closure on the plot and characters. Maybe the ending means that there will be a sequel?

message 10: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Ashley wrote: "At first I didn’t really care for the novel. I like the style of the two different povs, but at times found the story too drawn out to captivate my attention as other books in this format have in t..."

I agree that the book brought up some touchy subjects that are usually not discussed with this age group! I didn't think about these moral lessons that can be incorporated into the classroom also!

message 11: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments To be honest this book was not my favorite! It was a very easy read and would be good to use with middle school students. At this age group students are dealing with some of the issues that were discussed in the book. I would put the students in groups and have them talk about the issues presented in the book. I would have the students write in their journals everyday that we would read in class.

message 12: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Marion wrote: "really didn't care for this book."
Marion I totally agree with you!!

message 13: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Nickole wrote: "I read this book in middle school and I really liked it. I thought this book was interesting and an easy read. Older elementary students and middle school students would like to read this book. The..." Nickole I like the lesson plan that you have attached.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is a pretty great book for middle schoolers and even early high schoolers. I read it because I'm looking into the young adult category for my students. There are a lot of lessons to be learned..."

This is a fun idea-- I would have thoroughly enjoyed this activity myself!!

message 15: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments I was surprised by this book....it seemed very silly in the beginning but it acrually contains various lessons and things that add alot of beauty to this book...i think the relationship between the grandkids and how things changd towards the end...overall a beautiful story that shows the craziness of growing up and dealing with others feelings....

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments This was a great read! Juli's character tells how she viewed the same situation, but in a very different way then Brice. Juli Baker always climbed a huge, old sycamore tree that was located on a vacant lot by the school bus stop. She staged a sit-in in the tree when the owner threatened to have it cut down. Students can write about a special place or thing that meant a lot to them that they lost or no longer own. This could be a descriptive writing lesson.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Stephanie wrote: My only complaint about the book was the ending! It aggravates me to no end when books leave me hanging. I want to know the conclusion of the story so I can put closure on the plot and characters. Maybe the ending means that there will be a sequel?

I agree with you Stephanie. Maybe the students can help write the ending.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ixtchel wrote: "I was surprised by this book....it seemed very silly in the beginning but it acrually contains various lessons and things that add alot of beauty to this book...i think the relationship between the..."

Ixtchel, I agree with you it's a great book for teenagers! There a many life lessons that they can learn from the book.

message 19: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments I am a sucker for love stories and so I loved this book. I thought it was a cute young love story and I didn't want to put it down until Bryce finally came to his senses. I love how the author told the story from both point of views and the theme of the story that things or people are not what they seem. I also like how it was a coming of age story. We as readers were able to see the development of their characters over their adolescent year. I feel like the author did a good job at conveying their emotions. She also did a good job playing on my emotions there were many times I wanted to yell at Bryce and at the end I even teared up a little. For my Chick Flick Fridays movie I chose to watch Flipped the movie. Although it has less details than the book it is very similar and could be used as a supplement to the book. Some good comparing and contrasting activities could be done. Maybe even some writing activities of who the students would have chosen to play the characters, how the book made them feel vs the movie, and alternate endings.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Nickole wrote: "I read this book in middle school and I really liked it. I thought this book was interesting and an easy read. Older elementary students and middle school students would like to read this book. The..."

I haven't seen the book set up like this, sounds cool. I think that would catch some students attention to read it.

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Marion wrote: "really didn't care for this book."

Just wondering, what you didn't like about it?

message 22: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments I loved this book! I love how it shows two completely different sides of the same story. It really shows how everyone reacts to things differently. I think that it's really important for people to understand that you don't know what others are going through and because of that you should always try to be kind.
I would really like to do an activity with my students where they create a little skit/play where the prompt is some kind of fight or incident then the students break into groups and go why it happened. After which they will have solidified that everyone has different perspectives on the same event.

message 23: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Stephanie, dialogue journal have always been super intriguing to me! I'm so glad you brought it up. (I almost forgot about them!)

message 24: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Ashley, I think everyone can relate to chasing the wrong person. there were so many things in this book that make you stop and think.
It was such a cute book.

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Ami wrote: "I really enjoyed this book! The characters each had their own interesting story. Even though the points of views were seen through Bryce and Juli’s eyes, the reader got a sense of the other charact..."

I enjoyed the book too! You have some great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Victoria wrote: "I am a sucker for love stories and so I loved this book. I thought it was a cute young love story and I didn't want to put it down until Bryce finally came to his senses. I love how the author told..."

I plan on watching the movie too! I think comparing and contrasting the book and movie is a great idea. I am always so disappointed in movies after I have read the book. I feel like they leave so much good stuff out. Having students write about what they would have like to seen in the movie would be a good idea.

message 27: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Ashley wrote: "At first I didn’t really care for the novel. I like the style of the two different povs, but at times found the story too drawn out to captivate my attention as other books in this format have in t..."

I agree...in the beginning of the book I felt that it was taking to long for the story to take a turn and start the true climax of the whole story...however in the end I found that I was moved by the story of both the families and the struggles of the children...it is hard to realize that we all have a story and everyone is struggling with something in their lives at any given moment...i think this is the central message that I would want my students to get out of this reading....I wonder how well this book would go over with 8th graders...

message 28: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Victoria wrote: "I am a sucker for love stories and so I loved this book. I thought it was a cute young love story and I didn't want to put it down until Bryce finally came to his senses. I love how the author told..."

I thought it was a really cute love story as well...You almost hoped that right around the corner he would take advantage of the next moment he had to see her for who she was and understand better her passionate way of living life...I thought it was really endearing that she found such a beautiful friendship in someone that was much older than her...I hope there is another part the story written that shows how everything ended up between them...maybe in high school or something...lol

message 29: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Marion wrote: "really didn't care for this book."

Did you think that it was too drawn out? Too much back and forth perhaps?