RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

Abe Lincoln's Dreams

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
Read about Abraham Lincoln in this short picture book.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it displays the history of White House, President’s Day, folklore, and idioms! I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that could be great for those kids wanting to read more about these beloved pets. They could calculate which animal species & breeds were most popular and create charts/graphs to display their data. I would also like to discuss reoccurring dreams to see if any students have this in common with me. We could write down what we remember of these dreams!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Abe Lincoln’s Dream
I really enjoyed this book. It would be great to read to early elementary students. When reading this, 1st grade came to mind. This would be a great way to introduce a study about Abraham Lincoln.
§113.12. Social Studies, Grade 1
(b) Knowledge and skills
(2) History. The student understands how historical figures, patriots, and good citizens helped shape the community, state, and nation. The student is expected to:
(A) identify contributions of historical figures, including Sam Houston, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King Jr., who have influenced the community, state, and nation;
Also, during the book, they talked about how tall Abraham Lincoln is and I thought this would be good for a math lesson. I don’t know, I may be thinking way to out of the box, but I was thinking about measurement and data collection. Maybe have something that shows how tall Abe was, and then allow students to measure each other to compare to Abe. Also, they could use their own measurements for data collection.
§111.3. Mathematics, Grade 1
(b) Knowledge and skills
(7) Geometry and measurement. The student applies mathematical process standards to directly compare measurable attributes. The student is expected to:
(A) give an example of a measurable attribute of a given object, including length, capacity, and weight; and
(B) compare two objects with a common measurable attribute to see which object has more of/less of the attribute and describe the difference.
(8) Data analysis. The student applies mathematical process standards to collect and organize data to make it useful for interpreting information. The student is expected to:
(A) collect, sort, and organize data into two or three categories;
(B) use data to create real-object and picture graphs; and
(C) draw conclusions from real-object and picture graphs.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Abe Lincoln's dream describes how a little girl named Quincy meets Lincoln's ghost and takes him on a tour of the USA and sees how it has turned out after all those years. Students can draw a map of the tour that Quincy and Lincoln took when they flew over America. They can write and draw about what important historical event took place in each state on a map of the United States.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ashley wrote: I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that could be great for those kids wanting to read more about these beloved pets. They could calculate which animal species & breeds were most popular and create charts/graphs to display their data.

Ashley, that would make a great lesson! Sometimes we don't teach about the president's pets and this book would be a great introduction on this topic. Great idea on the chart/graph to display their data!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Stephanie wrote: Also, during the book, they talked about how tall Abraham Lincoln is and I thought this would be good for a math lesson. I don’t know, I may be thinking way to out of the box, but I was thinking about measurement and data collection. Maybe have something that shows how tall Abe was, and then allow students to measure each other to compare to Abe. Also, they could use their own measurements for data collection.

Stephanie, I love how you think outside the box with integrating math by using this book! This is a great cooperative learning activity!

message 7: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments I have never heard of this book before and it was an interesting book. I liked the illustrations in this book, they make the pictures seem old but still have a cartoon feel to them. I like how the text in the story is different colors and different sizes. It helps the flow of the pages. I also really liked how this book had many events that happened in history. Students could pretend to be a ghost like Abe and Quincy and draw what has happened through history since they were born and even make a prediction about what history could be like in the future. I will have this book in my classroom library.

-Nickole Castillo

message 8: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Joanne wrote: "Abe Lincoln's dream describes how a little girl named Quincy meets Lincoln's ghost and takes him on a tour of the USA and sees how it has turned out after all those years. Students can draw a map o..."

Joanne,
I like your lesson idea! I think you could add onto that and have students explore events in history that are not discussed in this book and write the historical event on the empty states of the map. Good Job! :)

-Nickole

message 9: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it displays the history of White House, President’s Day, folklore, and idioms! I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that could be great fo..."

Ashley,
I liked the afterword in the back of the book. It had some really cool information about Abe Lincoln that wasn't talked about in the book and may not be well known. You could hook your students' interest with these cool facts before you start reading the book.

-Nickole

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments I did not really enjoy this book. I would have enjoyed it more if the whole thing was about presidents dogs. There were some good little historical facts that you could use for further discussion here and there. I think I was just not a fan of the concept of the book with the whole ghost.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it displays the history of White House, President’s Day, folklore, and idioms! I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that could be great fo..."

I have also seen some of the books about the pets. They are really cute stories. Great idea about the graph to incorporate math and the reoccurring dreams would be really interesting conversation.

message 12: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments This book could be used in an Art class, as the children read, draw what and how you see Abe's Dreams, it would be interesting to see what they drew and how they put their feelings about Abe's dreams on paper through artwork.

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Nickole wrote: "I have never heard of this book before and it was an interesting book. I liked the illustrations in this book, they make the pictures seem old but still have a cartoon feel to them. I like how the ..."

Yes, the illustrations and text is very inviting for students.

message 14: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Stephanie I loved how you brought the different aspects of using this book, very creative!!!!!

message 15: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments I didn't like the back of the book I felt it could have been a little more creative.

message 16: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments This was not my favorite book so far. However, I liked the concept. I would have my students pick a historical figure from our unit amd thwn write them a letter telling them how our world has changed since their time and how their contribution has helped shape it into what it is today

message 17: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Stephanie wrote: "Abe Lincoln’s Dream
I really enjoyed this book. It would be great to read to early elementary students. When reading this, 1st grade came to mind. This would be a great way to introduce a study abo..."

Stephanie,
I love your idea to bring math into it. I've done some activities like that with my girlscouts and they love it! Also, great job finding TEKSto go with it!!

message 18: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments I really enjoyed this book! This would be an excellent way to introduce a Social Studies unit on biography or founding fathers. I really enjoy all of the references to historical events that students get broaden their knowledge on. There was some information that I learned by reading this book. I can't wait to share this book with my 2nd graders!

message 19: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it displays the history of White House, President’s Day, folklore, and idioms! I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that could be great fo..."

I like play on words for "dreams". It did discuss the reoccurring dream that Abe had about being on a boat. But further discussion can go into his dreams of equality and man treating each other with kindness!

message 20: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments I loved this book!! This book would be appropriate when learning about important historical figures. I will definitely have this book in my classroom library. I would have the students research Abe Lincoln and see all the of things he accomplished in his life time. Then I would have the students answer this question " If you were Abe Lincoln, what things would you accomplish in your lifetime".

message 21: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Nickole wrote: "I have never heard of this book before and it was an interesting book. I liked the illustrations in this book, they make the pictures seem old but still have a cartoon feel to them. I like how the ..." I really like your writing idea for you students. I believe it will make them think outside the box.

message 22: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it displays the history of White House, President’s Day, folklore, and idioms! I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that could be great fo..." Ashely, I really like your activities that you came up with for the students.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "Abe Lincoln’s Dream
I really enjoyed this book. It would be great to read to early elementary students. When reading this, 1st grade came to mind. This would be a great way to introduce a study abo..."

I love your idea on incorporating his height and math-- I was thinking we could also bring up the "Vitruvian" man concept and see if all the children fall into this norm. Might be a bit of a stretch!! :)

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Ami wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it displays the history of White House, President’s Day, folklore, and idioms! I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that co..."

Agreed--- lessons that we clearly still need to learn about today! These aspects of Lincoln are great places to start when teaching about that time period.

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Tanner wrote: "This was not my favorite book so far. However, I liked the concept. I would have my students pick a historical figure from our unit amd thwn write them a letter telling them how our world has chang..."

I like the letter writing idea!!!!! Thanks Tanner!! :)

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it displays the history of White House, President’s Day, folklore, and idioms! I have seen a book about the animals of the White House that could be great fo..."

I like the idioms idea and I loved how your incorporated researching the pets of the white house and charting them!!
Great ideas, Ashely!! Thanks!!!

message 27: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a really cute way to show Abraham Lincoln and his dream....it is kind of spooky when you read more into the the dreams he had especially the night before he was assassinated....I thought it was cute though how the little girl is not afraid and just goes everywhere with him....Also, I thought it was cute how he asks about how things have changed or improved and she says, "it's getting better all the time..", or"we are still working on it..."

I think it is a great discussion piece about how things have changed but yet how we are still trying to make life better for humanity in general...

message 28: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Joanne wrote: "Abe Lincoln's dream describes how a little girl named Quincy meets Lincoln's ghost and takes him on a tour of the USA and sees how it has turned out after all those years. Students can draw a map o..."

I like the idea of having them write about other historical events from around the USA....Maybe they could build a Country book and add important people, and places that have helped shape America throughout the years...