RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

Through Georgia's Eyes

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
Another delightful picture book about artist, Georgia O'Keeffee!

message 2: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Through Georgia’s Eyes

This was a wonderful story of a courageous girl, named Georgia O’Keefe, who had a desire to paint. She was drawn to nature and felt at peace with its beauty and serenity. She spoke through her art by using vivid colors and her imagination. It was uncommon for females to become artist during this time period. Her parents encouraged her to pursue her dreams and follow her heart as an artist.
This would be a great book to use in the classroom as a lesson to always follow your dreams. Students could be encouraged by Georgia to listen to their heart and do what makes them happy. This story was uplifting and inspiring for students at many levels.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments This book is full of colorful illustrations. Georgia O'Keeffe's dream was to become an artist despite what her siblings say. Her illustrations portrays her feelings throughout the book. Teachers who teach Art can use this book to show the illustrations of the flowers in the garden and also bring real pictures of flowers. They would be encouraged to make their own flowers out of colorful tissue paper. Teachers should encourage their students to follow their dreams after reading this book to them.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ami wrote: "Through Georgia’s Eyes

This was a wonderful story of a courageous girl, named Georgia O’Keefe, who had a desire to paint. She was drawn to nature and felt at peace with its beauty and serenity. Sh..."

Ami wrote: "Through Georgia’s Eyes

This was a wonderful story of a courageous girl, named Georgia O’Keefe, who had a desire to paint. She was drawn to nature and felt at peace with its beauty and serenity. Sh..."

Ami,

I also loved how she spoke through her art by using vivid colors and her imagination. She was able to do this in the city and in the deserts of New Mexico. This book would be great lesson for them to follow their heart and be happy!

message 5: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments The illustrations in this book are wonderful!! It is so interesting to see how different the world was and how it has changed over time. I think she shows alot of courage to keep to who she is and hold on to her love of art and nature.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments I really enjoyed this book’s figurative language examples that we could branch LA lessons off of. We also have the opportunity to research the history of women artists. This book may even be applicable to read aloud to some middle school classes to illustrate autism (since some aspects of Georgia’s behaviors indicate she may have been autistic). Furthermore, I love how the book showcases her varied techniques and her artistic diversity.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ashley, this is a great book to research the history of women artists in the classroom or in a fine arts class.
The author takes the readers to a place where Georgia shows them the world as she sees it.

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments This book has beautiful, beautiful illustrations. I think that helps to draw the reading into the story. I thought that this was a good biography about the life of Georgia O’Keeffe. I think this book does a great job at conveying who Georgia O’Keeffe was and what she overcame to become an artist. A great activity would be to have students go outside and find something to illustrate that speaks to them.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Ami wrote: "Through Georgia’s Eyes

Ami, you made a great point about how it was uncommon for women to be artists. I think this could lead to great discussions with students.

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Joanne wrote: "This book is full of colorful illustrations. Georgia O'Keeffe's dream was to become an artist despite what her siblings say. Her illustrations portrays her feelings throughout the book. Teachers wh..."

Great idea for students to create flowers out of tissue paper! You could connect that to a science unit about plants as well.

message 11: by Tanner (last edited Jul 10, 2016 04:56PM) (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Another beautifully illustrated Georgia book! It also teaches your students that they can be whatever they want to be if they try, regardless of societal norms

I really like the thought of after reading this book, compare and contrast the pictures of her flower paintings with real flower pictures and other artist's paintings.

message 12: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Victoria wrote: "Ami wrote: "Through Georgia’s Eyes

This was a wonderful story of a courageous girl, named Georgia O’Keefe, who had a desire to paint. She was drawn to nature and felt at peace with its beauty and ..."

Depending on the age group you can talk about societal norms in general and then talk about the possibility of them being whatever they want to be, as long as they try.

message 13: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Victoria wrote: "This book has beautiful, beautiful illustrations. I think that helps to draw the reading into the story. I thought that this was a good biography about the life of Georgia O’Keeffe. I think this bo..."

I really like this idea, especially since you are giving the students choice. They can find whatever they want to draw or color.

message 14: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Ashley, I agree the figurative language was really good...I think this is a good example to have in the classroom when we are teaching different kinds of ways to describe how see things...sometimes kids haven't had enough exposure to descriptive writing

message 15: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments this past school year I had some girls that loved to draw and sketch...I think they would enjoy learning how in the past they would not have been able to do what they love so easily...I agree it would be a great introduction or addition to woman's history month...

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments This picture book was beautifully written and illustrated. I loved how she saw a world that is filled with color, brightness, and light and magnificent shapes. Whether she lives in the city or on the Ghost Ranch in New Mexico, “Everywhere she looks, shapes hum and sing to her.” This book draws the reader to “lean in and look closer.” I would definitely have this book as part of my classroom library. Using this as a read aloud would be a good way to start a science unit over plants. Also, I would try incorporate language arts, math and fine arts into the lesson.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Victoria wrote: "This book has beautiful, beautiful illustrations. I think that helps to draw the reading into the story. I thought that this was a good biography about the life of Georgia O’Keeffe. I think this bo..."

I love the idea of students going outside to find something that really speaks to them, and then illustrate it. I would also have them write a poem to go along with their illustration.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book’s figurative language examples that we could branch LA lessons off of. We also have the opportunity to research the history of women artists. This book may even be applic..."

Researching women in history is a GREAT idea!!!!!

message 19: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments I liked the illustrations in this picture book! I liked how they were light and colorful. I would use this book in my classroom to have in my classroom library. I have never heard of Rachel Rodriguez, but I am interested in other books she has written. I would have my student's write what they see in their eyes (ex: Through Nickole's eyes...) and have them illustrate the stories they write down.

-Nickole Castillo

message 20: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "This picture book was beautifully written and illustrated. I loved how she saw a world that is filled with color, brightness, and light and magnificent shapes. Whether she lives in the city or on t..."

Stephanie,
I like your idea of integrating this book with the other content areas. I bet you could come up with some great ideas for lessons! I also love the colors the author used in this book. It is very bright and cheery.

-Nickole

message 21: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Victoria wrote: "This book has beautiful, beautiful illustrations. I think that helps to draw the reading into the story. I thought that this was a good biography about the life of Georgia O’Keeffe. I think this bo..."

Victoria,
I like how this book used art to portray a great woman in history. I think it is very inspiring to young readers that they can do anything. I plan to use this book as an option for students to use when researching famous people. Nice job! :)

-Nickole

message 22: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments The pictures that were created in this book are amazing and have great detail. The pictures come to life with the use of different colors that were used. It was interesting to see what barriers she overcame as a female artist. In my classroom, I would have the students research different female artists and present their findings to the class. Another activity is to have the students write a short story with visuals about a female artist.

message 23: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Great examples of figurative language. I loved the color scheme. Georgia had a huge imagination and she utilized through her art. Georgia showed us how beautiful nature could be through an imagination paint, and a paint brush. This book would be great in art class, the teacher could do so many wonderful things with this book.

message 24: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Stephanie you are so right the teacher could use tis book in so many ways during an art lesson. It could be a really useful creative art tool for the students.

message 25: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Ashley I agree this book could be used to explore other female artist within this time period.

message 26: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Nickole I agree the pictures in this book were amazing. I love the activity having the children write what they see in their eyes.

message 27: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Joanne I like the idea of having the children make flowers out of colorful tissue paper. I really enjoyed making those when I was younger and I'm sure your students would like it as well.

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Ariel wrote: "The pictures that were created in this book are amazing and have great detail. The pictures come to life with the use of different colors that were used. It was interesting to see what barriers she..."

I thoroughly enjoy your idea of researching a female artist-- I would try in small groups and perhaps they would prepare their own non-fiction books!

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Ixtchel wrote: "Ashley, I agree the figurative language was really good...I think this is a good example to have in the classroom when we are teaching different kinds of ways to describe how see things...sometimes..."

I agree- and in an actual non-fiction reading versus a work (such as poetry) which is centered around using figurative language. Our book describes using more metaphors and analogies to teach vocabulary-- and this technique could absolutely tie-in to works such as this.

message 30: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Ashley wrote: "I really enjoyed this book’s figurative language examples that we could branch LA lessons off of. We also have the opportunity to research the history of women artists. This book may even be applic..."

I thought the same thing about the autistic traits that seem to be present in the things that she did. I would like to learn more about her to see if there is any information about that...when I read the first book it seemed to me like she was autistic, however, some people are just odd, and not in a bad way, but odd in their behavior as in they are just different but the have such beautiful skills and I have known a few people that are like this and they also are very artistic...

message 31: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Marion wrote: "Great examples of figurative language. I loved the color scheme. Georgia had a huge imagination and she utilized through her art. Georgia showed us how beautiful nature could be through an imaginat..."

I think it would be a great hook to take the kids outside and ask them to replicate an image from outside, or have them paint or color the landscape the see or would like to see....it would be interesting to see the variations of imagery and color.