RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

Georgia in Hawaii: When Georgia O'Keeffee Painted What she Pleased

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
I hope you enjoy reading about artist Georgia O'Keeffee!!!

message 2: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Georgia in Hawaii

The first thing that I noticed about this book is the descriptive colors and imagery. The author gave the reader descriptive images of Hawaii and the natural setting that O’Keefe loved to paint. O’Keefe was invited to come to Hawaii to paint a pineapple for a company. Things did not go her way so she ended up painting things that she wanted to paint. Again, this book gave the reader an insight into O’Keefe’s personality. She always wants things her way and refused to do things that people tell her. I would focus on this aspect of the book in the classroom. This book would be good to use as a character analysis to discuss O’Keefe’s personality traits. Students could predict how O’Keefe’s personality affects or hinders her success as a writer.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments I thought this book would be great to tie into geography and environmental science through the different landscapes we learn about. I felt this book out of the three really shows us her resilience, and how she explored Hawaii on her terms. After reading the author’s note, I looked up more info on Georgia and browsed through her amazing art. I love the pineapple painting she eventually completed.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Georgia was the type of artist that painted under her own terms. She is in Hawaii to paint a pineapple but instead paints vivacious flowers, islands, and the blue sea. This book could be used for a Geography lesson. Students can learn about the Hawaii Islands and draw a map with the location of each. Students can also compare and contrast this book with the other books: My name is Georgia and Through Georgia's eyes. How were her paintings the same? Different?

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Another beautifully illustrated book about Georgia O’Keeffe. I enjoyed the description of the flowers and the vision of Hawaii you get from reading this book. I think that students would enjoy that too. A great activity would to compare Georgia’s collection to the collection in this book. Students could see how Georgia O’Keeffe influenced others art work.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Ami wrote: "Georgia in Hawaii

The first thing that I noticed about this book is the descriptive colors and imagery. The author gave the reader descriptive images of Hawaii and the natural setting that O’Keefe..."

I lovedddd the colors and the imagery in this book. O'Keeffe's personality really does shine through. Great idea about character analysis.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Joanne wrote: "Georgia was the type of artist that painted under her own terms. She is in Hawaii to paint a pineapple but instead paints vivacious flowers, islands, and the blue sea. This book could be used for a..."

Yes! Comparing and contrasting would be a great activity. Or writing about their favorite book and why.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Victoria wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Georgia was the type of artist that painted under her own terms. She is in Hawaii to paint a pineapple but instead paints vivacious flowers, islands, and the blue sea. This book coul..."

ooh-- or writing about their favorite painting of hers!!!

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ashley and Victoria,

Those are great activities! The possibilities are endless! They can even compare/contrasts the authors from all three books.

message 10: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Georgia in Hawaii is about being true to yourself and not changing your beliefs for anyone. It's also great for learning about the different islands and the native plants, flowers, and fruit that grow there. I would like to use this book to do just that; introduce a unit or lesson about researching the native plants, animals, fruit, etc. of the islands and other places

message 11: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Joanne wrote: "Georgia was the type of artist that painted under her own terms. She is in Hawaii to paint a pineapple but instead paints vivacious flowers, islands, and the blue sea. This book could be used for a..."

The idea of having them compare and contrast the Georgia books is a great idea! They are all by different authors, but about the same person.

message 12: by Tanner (last edited Jul 10, 2016 04:51PM) (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Ashley wrote: "I thought this book would be great to tie into geography and environmental science through the different landscapes we learn about. I felt this book out of the three really shows us her resilience,..."
These books really do get people interested in Georgia O'Keefe, I looked her up also!

message 13: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments this book continues the theme of Georgia's artistic side but also her will to do what is true to herself....I think that is an important lesson...being true to who you are and not letting the attitudes of others dampen that love of art or sports or whatever it may be

message 14: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments I like the idea of extending this book and using it for geography, teaching cultural differences, definitely bringing in other artists that paint landscapes or nature and compare their work to Georgia's

message 15: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Joanne, I think it would be a great idea to have them compare and contrast the books...it shows how different authors can write about three same topic but in different styles with different illustrations and words...students have to do this type of comparison now more often...you've given me an idea for the school year...lol

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments I love how the author brings the Hawaiian island to life in this picture book. Her words describe in great detail the beauty and diversity of the islands. They also show how the islands impacted the work of Georgia O’Keeffe. The story is told on a level that children will enjoy, giving examples of what inspired O’Keefe to paint and how the islands impacted her work. This is a great story to teach younger students creativity and inspiration. I would use this book for lower elementary, grades 2-3.
For this particular book, I think I would use it in a thematic unit on 50 States studies. Students would be assigned a state or two, depending on class size and the level of the student. They would identify the location of a state, compare population sizes from various states, learn the state bird, flag, and location on the map and come up with an illustration of their state that depicts the information they learned. We would also make a classroom United States notebook to keep in the classroom library.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Joanne wrote: "Georgia was the type of artist that painted under her own terms. She is in Hawaii to paint a pineapple but instead paints vivacious flowers, islands, and the blue sea. This book could be used for a..."

I love the geography idea!! I am always looking for ways to incorporate social studies into reading. Also, I like the compare and contrast between the different authors. Great ideas! Thanks!!!

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Ami wrote: "Georgia in Hawaii

The first thing that I noticed about this book is the descriptive colors and imagery. The author gave the reader descriptive images of Hawaii and the natural setting that O’Keefe..."

I like the idea of using this book as a character analysis.

message 19: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Georgia in Hawaii was another good book about Georgia O'Keeffe's life painting the things she loved about Hawaii. This book reminded me of when I went to Hawaii and the pictures bring back many memories. I love the way the story is told and it is a good example of a story told from a different perspective. I will definitely have this book in my classroom library. You could use this book when talking about the states in the united states. I like how easy this book is to incorporate many different content areas.

-Nickole Castillo

message 20: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Tanner wrote: "Georgia in Hawaii is about being true to yourself and not changing your beliefs for anyone. It's also great for learning about the different islands and the native plants, flowers, and fruit that g..."

Tanner,
I really like your ideas on different ways to use this book in the classroom! I think you could also use this book when you talk about the states of the united states. This book has a lot of great information about Hawaii that students can learn from.

- Nickole

message 21: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ixtchel wrote: "this book continues the theme of Georgia's artistic side but also her will to do what is true to herself....I think that is an important lesson...being true to who you are and not letting the attit..."

Ixtchel,
I completely agree with you! I love the way that the author was determined to do what she wanted to do in her life. I also think this is a great book about perspectives or point of view.

-Nickole

message 22: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Georgia in Hawaii, had a lot of great illustrations. It felt like I was in Hawaii at times, it made me feel like I have been to the island before. It was need to learn about O'Keefe and the opportunities that she was given. I would have my students choose a island and research everything about that island. I would want them to tell me about the plants, food and activities that it has to offer, I would have the students make a poster and present it to the class.

message 23: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments This book was definitely an eye catcher. The drawings were fabulous. The contents about the book alone were marvelous. This book also teaches to never give up on your dreams, and let nothing stand in your way.

message 24: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Ixtchel, I agree with you as well this book taught how a person should persue what makes them happy and follow their heart. Do what's best for you. Yes it teaches our students about perspectives and point of view, excellent book.

message 25: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Ami, I like your idea of using this book as a character analysis also.

message 26: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Stephanie, I like how you incorporated all the 5@ states into your activity. I think it would be a great idea to have the students work made into a classroom book.

message 27: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Joanne, I like your ideas of comparing the two books. I think the students would enjoy that activity.

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Ariel wrote: "Georgia in Hawaii, had a lot of great illustrations. It felt like I was in Hawaii at times, it made me feel like I have been to the island before. It was need to learn about O'Keefe and the opportu..."

I love your ideas about learning about the unique cultures each island surely has to offer. Learning about (and being accepting of) different cultures is an important concept/lesson that we should try to instill early on.

message 29: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Ixtchel wrote: "I like the idea of extending this book and using it for geography, teaching cultural differences, definitely bringing in other artists that paint landscapes or nature and compare their work to Geor..."

That's an excellent idea for students to engage in art work like O'Keefe. There are so many possibilities that we can incorporate into our classrooms!