RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
This is a beautiful book about unusual animals! Just read several of the poems to get an idea of how the book is written and the beautiful photographs it contains.

message 2: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Book of Animal Poetry

Poetry is an excellent source to use in the classroom for comprehension and descriptive writing. Students need to use higher level thinking skills to read and understand poetry. Students can also learn new vocabulary words from reading poetry. Synonyms are often used in poetry which helps students grow in vocabulary.
Combining non-fiction and poetry was the basis of this interesting book. Students can learn about animals while reading poetry. This is an excellent way to keep students engaged in non-fiction while exploring the literary components of poetry. I will definitely buy this book for my classroom library!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments This book is stunning, with a beautiful selection of poetry AND incredible photographs. The book is organized in to chapters that include a wide variety of poetry, including classic lyric poetry, haiku, free verse, and concrete poems. Every page has somewhere between one and three poems, as well as gorgeous National Geographic photos.
I absolutely loved this book!! I do plan on reading each and every poem and it will for sure be in my classroom library.
The first thing that came to mind when reading some of the poetry is animal habitats. Using this book when doing that unit would be awesome. Students can pick an animal from the book, research the animal and then come up with their own poem. A game that I like to play is “What Am I”. Students give 3 clues about their animal. The clues have to include something descriptive about the animal and their habitat and the other students have to try and guess the animal based on the clues given.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments The poems incites great discussions. My nephew read it last year and he loved the pictures. The poems where presented each day in his class. I enjoyed reading Chapter 9—(Final Thought) -- four poems about taking care of animals and the earth. We can introduce 1-2 poems a day and have students share their thoughts about what they noticed about the poem (things they liked, things they connected with, questions they might have, and what the poem made them think about).

message 5: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Joanne wrote: "The poems incites great discussions. My nephew read it last year and he loved the pictures. The poems where presented each day in his class. I enjoyed reading Chapter 9—(Final Thought) -- four poem..."

I can not wait to share this book with my class! I ordered it on-line the day that I read it in class. There are so many options to extend the knowledge that this book shares about animals! I know my students are going to love this one....maybe I should order 2?! :)

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ami wrote: This is an excellent way to keep students engaged in non-fiction while exploring the literary components of poetry. I will definitely buy this book for my classroom library!

Ami, I will definitely buy it for my library as well. The students will be engaged while exploring all the literary components of poetry.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Stephanie wrote: A game that I like to play is “What Am I”. Students give 3 clues about their animal. The clues have to include something descriptive about the animal and their habitat and the other students have to try and guess the animal based on the clues given.

This is a great guessing game that students can play with others. They can also play a matching game where they match the habitat with a picture of their animal.

message 8: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Students love animals no matter how old they are. I liked the pictures that went along with the poems in this book. Students could do a video blog about one of the animals and their poem. Students could also write a poem for an animal that may not be in the book. National Geographic always has great informational stuff about animals that students love. For the younger grades, students could use puppets to read a poem from the book, or they could write a new poem about the animal and use the puppet to present their poem to the class. This is a really cool book that I want to add to my classroom library.

-Nickole Castillo

message 9: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Joanne wrote: "The poems incites great discussions. My nephew read it last year and he loved the pictures. The poems where presented each day in his class. I enjoyed reading Chapter 9—(Final Thought) -- four poem..."

Joanne,
Good idea using this book to bring in discussions into the classroom. I think you could also have students create poems about the animals and share them with the class. I think students will really like this book.

-Nickole

message 10: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ami wrote: "Book of Animal Poetry

Poetry is an excellent source to use in the classroom for comprehension and descriptive writing. Students need to use higher level thinking skills to read and understand poe..."

Ami,
I agree with you. I think this book is also helpful because the students have a visual to go along with the poem. I sometimes find it hard to visualize what a poem is trying to say. This is a big benefit for ELLs and visual learners in the classroom.

-Nickole

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments The pictures were beautiful, and I have a feeling many of my students would love this book. I started with my favorite animal, the elephant. I was not disappointed!! Personally poetry is hard for me nor do I have much experience with it—when I enjoy poetry, it is usually either humorous or conveys a serious message to learn from. To follow an 8th grade TEKS of writing a poem, I did some research and found great ideas here: https://ilearn.marist.edu/access/cont... The journal prompts that help facilitate towards the master goal of creating a poem are found on pgs 20 & 21.

I’m so excited to try these now!

message 12: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Wow!!!! what a wonderful book, which such awesome innotation of creating poetry for children. Such marvelous ways to utilize comprehension, vocabulary, descriptive writing, and narrative writing. I liked how the book brought out the animals imaginative view behind each statement this book would be great to explore with an animal unit, and yes I would use it with sixth graders. I would tell them to use their exploration mind , pretend you were an animal what would you say and think?

message 13: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Ami I liked that you stated this book would be great for the ELL student and you are so right, because of the visuals they could understand the words better and the pictures would provide what the words stand for.

Nickole excellent idea have the students create their own animal book of poetry, I think they would really enjoy it.

message 14: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments I truly loved this book!! It will be in my classroom library for sure. This book is good to incorporate in a unit about the zoo!!for inactivity the children to write a poem about their favorite animal and draw a picture with it. Then I could turn this into a class book. The poem I read was about a cow. As the teacher I would buy different puppets and use them while reading to my students. The students would love the puppets that I would use.

message 15: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Nickole wrote: "Students love animals no matter how old they are. I liked the pictures that went along with the poems in this book. Students could do a video blog about one of the animals and their poem. Students ..." Nickole we had similar activities to use with our students. I believe the students will love the use of the puppets.

message 16: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Ashley wrote: "The pictures were beautiful, and I have a feeling many of my students would love this book. I started with my favorite animal, the elephant. I was not disappointed!! Personally poetry is hard for m..." Ashley thank you for that great website. It looks like a great resource.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Nickole wrote: "Ami wrote: "Book of Animal Poetry

Poetry is an excellent source to use in the classroom for comprehension and descriptive writing. Students need to use higher level thinking skills to read and un..."

I am seeing so much research that praises using picture books with older ELLs-- thanks for solidifying that this is a great tool to teach visual literacy and help gain confidence!!

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "This book is stunning, with a beautiful selection of poetry AND incredible photographs. The book is organized in to chapters that include a wide variety of poetry, including classic lyric poetry, h..."

Your ideas on the research an animal/guessing game are great! What a fun way to engage the class together!!

message 19: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments The thing that caught my attention in this book is the way they categorized the poems. I would want my students to research and create their own poem on am animal of their choice and then work as a group to find other ways to group them (color, alphabetical, types, habitat, size, etc) and we put them into a class book.

message 20: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Nickole wrote: "Students love animals no matter how old they are. I liked the pictures that went along with the poems in this book. Students could do a video blog about one of the animals and their poem. Students ..."

I like the idea of using puppets. If they make the puppets themselves it incorporates art and the acting it out too!

message 21: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Stephanie wrote: "This book is stunning, with a beautiful selection of poetry AND incredible photographs. The book is organized in to chapters that include a wide variety of poetry, including classic lyric poetry, h..."

A guessing game sounds great! It can get everyone thinking and involved.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Nickole wrote: "Students love animals no matter how old they are. I liked the pictures that went along with the poems in this book. Students could do a video blog about one of the animals and their poem. Students ..."

I like the puppet idea!!!!!
Thanks!!!!