RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

Because of Mr. Terupt

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
Be mindful of the choices we make!

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Mr. Terupt is a one of a kind teacher, he connects with each of his students and he is most concerned about helping them learn some of life's greatest lessons. His focus was never on testing, national standards, or meeting district deadlines. His goal was to help each of his fifth graders become the best person they could be.
This book is a must read because it’s heartbreaking, heartwarming, and inspirational in every way. I loved how this book featured seven narrators, each with a unique story and a different perspective on what makes their Mr. Terupt so special. This is a book that will most definitely have a place in my classroom library!!!
This book I would use as a read aloud. There are some pretty tough topics that would make for great classroom discussions.
Also, I like the Dollar Words game that Mr. Terupt plays. I think that would be fun to use in the classroom. I would probably play the game before we read the book, that way the kids have prior knowledge and will maybe have an aesthetic response to the book.
I’m thinking a character analysis would be a good LA lesson for this book. Since there are seven characters, maybe split the kids into groups and assign each group a character.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments I thought this was a cute, quick read. I appreciated most of the themes the book teaches; however, I think that it could alienate some readers. At first, I didn’t think it would be a good book for boys, but I changed my opinion as the book’s plot continued. I would most likely use this as an option for the realistic fiction/chapter-book choice genres (I see myself implementing a system like Miller’s in the future). This is a great book for educators to read as well. It gives real insight to the ways you can do things differently, and what kids truly want from an educator. I loved the dollar words!!

message 4: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments This book was interesting to read. I liked the different characters having a part in the story, and I think it helped the story move along. Mr. Terupt is the kind of teacher I want to be. He is engaging and reaches out to the students and they end up loving Mr. Terupt. I love how the accident inspires the students to do good deeds and change their dynamics of their families. I think this book has a lot of topics that can open up discussions for students and they could reflect on how the characters reacted to a certain event in the book. I will definitely add this book to my classroom library.

-Nickole Castillo

message 5: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ashley wrote: "I thought this was a cute, quick read. I appreciated most of the themes the book teaches; however, I think that it could alienate some readers. At first, I didn’t think it would be a good book for ..."

Ashley,
I agree with you, educators should read this book. Mr. Terupt is the kind of inspiring teacher that I want to be with my students.

-Nickole

message 6: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "Mr. Terupt is a one of a kind teacher, he connects with each of his students and he is most concerned about helping them learn some of life's greatest lessons. His focus was never on testing, natio..."

Stephanie,
I like your ELAR lesson idea, I think it will work well with this book. I think it is a good idea to read this book aloud to your students, and I think the game would be lots of fun! :)

-Nickole

message 7: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments One thing I learned about being a teacher you must be a good listener, and you should talk to students and not at them. We all know teachers wear all type of hats, but the best hat a teacher can wear is the hat of inspiration, I learned if you only touch one soul as a teacher you've done well. Teaching has it's moments, but the best of teaching , is when you see one of your students has actually used the knowledge you taught them and utilizing it to best of their ability, now that's when it's shouting time.

message 8: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments I agree with Ashley this book should be made for all educators to read.

Stephanie I like how you will use this book in your l
Language Arts lesson it would be very interesting...

message 9: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments This book is a great read for any educator and also students. It shows how much he touched his students' lives. It shows the growth of the students and I think thats important. Especially since it goes into the seven different students' perspectives; it gives the students more opportunity to connect with at least one of the characters. I would definitely want to do a character analysis with this book and maybe even go into a little bit of concussions and other issues faced in the book. It opens so much up for discussion

message 10: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Marion wrote: "One thing I learned about being a teacher you must be a good listener, and you should talk to students and not at them. We all know teachers wear all type of hats, but the best hat a teacher can we..."

Honestly, the reason I chose to go into teaching is so that I could inspire students. I believe that your attitude as a teacher and how you interact with your students speaks volumes about not only who you are but also how much your students will get out of it.

message 11: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Nickole wrote: "This book was interesting to read. I liked the different characters having a part in the story, and I think it helped the story move along. Mr. Terupt is the kind of teacher I want to be. He is eng..."

Mr. Terupt kind of reminds me of Matthew perry's character in the Ron Clark story. He is mainly focused of getting all the students involved and them gettin the most out of it than the logistics of teaching.

message 12: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments This book is very interesting and I truly enjoyed it. This is a prime example of how teachers have different students in their classroom. This book shows how Mr. Terupt is able to inspire his students and help them all in a unique way. All future educators should read this book.

message 13: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Stephanie wrote: "Mr. Terupt is a one of a kind teacher, he connects with each of his students and he is most concerned about helping them learn some of life's greatest lessons. His focus was never on testing, natio..." Stephanie, I really like your activity I feel that it is very creative

message 14: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Ashley wrote: "I thought this was a cute, quick read. I appreciated most of the themes the book teaches; however, I think that it could alienate some readers. At first, I didn’t think it would be a good book for ..." Ashely, I love the dollar words game as well. I think this would be great to use in the classroom.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "Mr. Terupt is a one of a kind teacher, he connects with each of his students and he is most concerned about helping them learn some of life's greatest lessons. His focus was never on testing, natio..."

A character analysis is such a great idea for this book! Seven characters gives a lot of choice, and many of the characters experience a big theme or change.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Nickole wrote: "This book was interesting to read. I liked the different characters having a part in the story, and I think it helped the story move along. Mr. Terupt is the kind of teacher I want to be. He is eng..."

I agree- there are so many topics that could produce deep, meaningful discussions. Do we think the characters would have changed had this incident not happened? Is it really his own fault?

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Great book! The accident had a dramatic impact on all the students, who worry about the role they played. I enjoyed how it becomes obvious that the teacher's influence on them continued even when he was unable to interact with them. Like Flipped this book is told from many different points of view. Students can compare both books.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Nickole wrote: I think this book has a lot of topics that can open up discussions for students and they could reflect on how the characters reacted to a certain event in the book.

I agree Nicole. This book can be open for discussion on many topics as part of a literature unit.

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Tanner wrote: it gives the students more opportunity to connect with at least one of the characters. I would definitely want to do a character analysis with this book and maybe even go into a little bit of concussions and other issues faced in the book. It opens so much up for discussion

I agree with you Tanner. The students would be able to find a connection with the characters. Character analysis would be a great lesson!

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments This story went from 0 to 100 so quickly! I was not expecting that to be the accident. I love how Mr. Terupt created a classroom of care. You could tell that he cared about all of his students and found ways to make learning fun and engaging. This story goes to show that when you show your students that you care they will go above and beyond for you, they will return that level of care. Some key lessons in this story are standing up for others and yourself, you never know what people are going through and our actions have consequences. I like some of the lessons that Mr. Terupt does with his class. Since the author is a teacher I wonder if those were some of the things he did in his own classroom. One thing I did not like about this book was the character voice. For some reason when I was reading I kept hearing Brady Bunch kids talking. Overall a great story that I would include in my classroom library.

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Ashley wrote: "I thought this was a cute, quick read. I appreciated most of the themes the book teaches; however, I think that it could alienate some readers. At first, I didn’t think it would be a good book for ..."

I like how you classified this as realistic fiction. I also want to incorporate some Miller strategies. Book Whisperer is pretty great.

message 22: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Tanner wrote: "This book is a great read for any educator and also students. It shows how much he touched his students' lives. It shows the growth of the students and I think thats important. Especially since it ..."

I agree that the seven perspectives allow students to relate to at least one character. I like your idea about character analysis.

message 23: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments I really didn't enjoy this book at first. Switching the point of view between so many characters was confusing. I felt like I needed to take notes on each character so I could remember who they were. As the story progressed, I began to like it because of Mr. Terupt. He was the one that had me engaged in the book. He changed my mind about the book much like he helped his students learn and grow!

Mr. Terput is the ideal teacher. His students loved his class because he made learning fun. I really like some of the ideas that he used for classroom management and instruction. Most importantly, he taught his students to appreciate each other and students with disabilities. His students learned to reflect on their actions and strive to be better people.

I am going to use his idea of adding a ring to a chain from the ceiling to the floor as a positive behavior incentive. That's a great visual for students to work towards! I would use this book in the classroom to discuss character analysis. Some students had personal revelations, like Lexie, that taught them respect towards others.

message 24: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Victoria wrote: "This story went from 0 to 100 so quickly! I was not expecting that to be the accident. I love how Mr. Terupt created a classroom of care. You could tell that he cared about all of his students and ..."

LOL to the Brady Bunch talking! I thought switching between so many character was confusing. Maybe the author wanted the reader to understand how Mr. Terupt effected everyone's life?

message 25: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments I loved, loved, this book....it was filled with drama, laughter, and OMG moments....i could really see how my students could relate to this book....after teaching 5th grade I could almost match up some of my students to some of the characters....lol....

I think this is a beautifully written story, definitely will be on my classroom shelf and I would like to incorporate it somehow into my school year....

reading about the struggles the kids faced...how loving they were underneath despite their outward appearance, but most of all the tenacity of Mr. Terupt. To be that teacher that leaves a mark on the hearts of his students and gets them to fall in love with life and education....that can be a challenge for some...

There were some very touching moments that made me tear up for sure....

"Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

message 26: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Marion wrote: "One thing I learned about being a teacher you must be a good listener, and you should talk to students and not at them. We all know teachers wear all type of hats, but the best hat a teacher can we..."

Yes! Teaching has its moments, but your are so right...when you see or hear of your students living what you have taught them, there is not better gift than that....

I learned that this year as well...I had a student that was harming herself and we found out almost too late in the process, but luckily because of the life lessons, and how we treated our students, we built courage in another student who told us what had happened and we were able to intervene before the situation got out of hand....we sometimes get lost in our daily routine and expectations and need to stop and remember how hard it was being that age and going through life with so much worry and stress on our shoulders....it is hard....and life is a great balancing act and we need to show our students that we are a strength for them to rely on...we love them...and we will help solve any problem they have to the best of our ability....

message 27: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Ami wrote: "I really didn't enjoy this book at first. Switching the point of view between so many characters was confusing. I felt like I needed to take notes on each character so I could remember who they wer..."

Ha! I was thinking the same way...i keep wondering how am i going to motivate 8th graders to work hard and especially in reading and writing of all things....and somehow by typing that I just realized what a challenge I face! lol

but hopefully i can pull in my own Terupt spirit and be successful like he was...lol (but without the snowball coma thing...lol)