RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

The Boy Who Dared

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
A very very compelling read!! Remember this is a TRUE story!

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments This was a pretty short book, roughly 200 pages, and hard for me to read. Historical fiction is just not for me. The book has a sad and important message to share with the reader, but getting to the end was so hard.
I am having a hard time coming up with something for this one. If I used this book in my classroom library, it would have to be middle school. I think I might include it in a lesson over the different book genres or maybe do a character analysis. I just don’t know. Hopefully, my classmates can come up with something better!!!

message 3: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Another great story! I have never heard of this book, and I couldn't put it down. It is inspiring to see how brave Helmet was and how courageous he was to stand up against the Gestapo of the Nazi army. I would have my students think about something that they are willing to stand up and fight for, and write about it.

-Nickole Castillo

message 4: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "This was a pretty short book, roughly 200 pages, and hard for me to read. Historical fiction is just not for me. The book has a sad and important message to share with the reader, but getting to th..."

Stephanie,
Sometimes historical fiction books are boring to me as well. I find it hard to read about history. I do think that this is a upper elementary/middle school book though. I couldn't think of any other ideas besides making a personal connection with Helmet on what you stand up for. Hope this helps a little!

-Nickole

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments I feel like I am learning so much more about these time periods from these historical fiction novels. I have found myself more interested in the events that happened because of the characters. I think this is what these books can also so for our students. Our students don’t just see historical events anymore but kids like them who experienced these things. I think that this helps to engage them and become more interested. Helmuth was truly brave for standing up for what he believed was right. I think this story helps students to see not all Germans were bad there were some who saw that Hitler was bad. I also think this would be a good story to pair with The Book Thief. Having students to research and write their own flyer(leaflet) would be a good activity.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Stephanie wrote: "This was a pretty short book, roughly 200 pages, and hard for me to read. Historical fiction is just not for me. The book has a sad and important message to share with the reader, but getting to th..."

I used to feel the same way about historical fiction. I don't know what has changed but lately, I have been enjoying them more and more.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Nickole wrote: "Another great story! I have never heard of this book, and I couldn't put it down. It is inspiring to see how brave Helmet was and how courageous he was to stand up against the Gestapo of the Nazi a..."

Good idea, personal connections are always great because it helps the students to see themselves in the character.

message 8: by Tanner (last edited Jul 18, 2016 02:30PM) (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments The book started out kind of boring to me. I'm not into reading historical books (I'm more of a fantasy or teen romance kind of girl) This book got kind of hard for me to read close to the end because it started clicking to me that it was all real. I would really want my students to keep journals as they read this book. How they feel, questions they have, etc. (No one will see the journals but the students who wrote them and I.) Then we can discuss character development and how they feel. What factors went into the decisions Helmut made? Do you feel like he should've not done it? Etc. Also talk about propaganda and the events of that era so that they understand how hard it was for most to see the truth.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments What a powerful work! This is a very interesting and different perspective to help learn about WW2. I absolutely enjoyed reading this and studying about this individual. I immediately thought of literature to tie into this one, The Book Thief definitely comes to mind. I keep seeing the Ghandi quote, “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind“. It is perfect. I would certainly discuss the common themes presented in these last four works, and have students write on the freedoms they may take for granted. Silencing the masses and eliminating the transfer of information via news/radio are human rights that, unfortunately, are still violated around the world.

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments This is a story of a teenager who had courage and conviction. His life did make a difference, though it was cut short by the Nazis. Students would understand a different aspect of the Holocaust. They can choose a character from the story and follow their development through the book. How do they change from beginning to end?

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Victoria wrote: "I feel like I am learning so much more about these time periods from these historical fiction novels. I have found myself more interested in the events that happened because of the characters.

Victoria, I agree with you! I'm learning so much from the time periods and the characters. My husband is reading along with me.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Tanner wrote: I would really want my students to keep journals as they read this book. How they feel, questions they have, etc. (No one will see the journals but the students who wrote them and I.) Then we can discuss character development and how they feel.

Tanner, great idea about the journals. I like the flow of the lesson. First they would write their own questions and discuss afterwards.

message 13: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Ashley, I really like your idea on having them write about freedoms they may take for granted. In today's society th er sure are a lot.

message 14: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Stephanie, I had a hard time with this book too. I just couldn't get into it. I kind of skimmed it but then towards the end read more thoroughly and got kind of sick to my stomach.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Victoria wrote: "I feel like I am learning so much more about these time periods from these historical fiction novels. I have found myself more interested in the events that happened because of the characters. I th..."

I love that we both referenced The Book Thief! It is important to understand all sides that were/are suppressed! Making a leaflet sounds like a fun project! I love brochures and infographics!!

message 16: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments This story was actually very good. I'm not into historical books but this one was interesting. I have never heard this story before. I would have my students write about there thoughts after they read this book. I would want to know how the book made them feel. Then I would have them discuss what they wrote with someone else in the class.

message 17: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Tanner I agree this book started off very slow and Nickole I like your activity you had for your students

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Nickole wrote: "Another great story! I have never heard of this book, and I couldn't put it down. It is inspiring to see how brave Helmet was and how courageous he was to stand up against the Gestapo of the Nazi a..."

Great gateway to the world of persuasive writing!

message 19: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments This a good book to learn about the history of World War 1 and world War 2.

Tanner; I like the idea of students keeping a journal as they read this book.

Victoria; I like your idea of making a leaflet for this book.

message 20: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Victoria wrote: "I feel like I am learning so much more about these time periods from these historical fiction novels. I have found myself more interested in the events that happened because of the characters. I th..."

Victoria,
I have learned a lot from reading these books. I think more than my history classes in school. I am surprised how much reading I have done about history and liked it; I am not a big fan of history class. (:

-Nickole

message 21: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments This was a hard read for me....But I loved the story and the what was more impressing was to think that these things actually happened...I cannot imagine living in that time and wondering what went through peoples minds and what they were feeling....I think it would be awful to live in such fear...I think that I would definitely be able to incorporate this book into my classroom...comparing community life and standard of life between then and now....it would be interesting to see what my students' opinions would be in regards to Hitler and the events of that time....Perhaps dive a little deeper into WWII and the cause and effects of the war...deep subjects hopefully lead to deep thinking

message 22: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Tanner wrote: "The book started out kind of boring to me. I'm not into reading historical books (I'm more of a fantasy or teen romance kind of girl) This book got kind of hard for me to read close to the end beca..."

I love the idea of a journal! I want to try this with my 8th graders...I am sure they will have plenty to have an opinion about and want to share....lots of questions too! I just want to do something that will get my students thinking and asking questions...

message 23: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Victoria wrote: "I feel like I am learning so much more about these time periods from these historical fiction novels. I have found myself more interested in the events that happened because of the characters. I th..."

I agree! I feel like I learned a lot as well...if not at the very least thinking of new ideas to teach these concepts and make them relevant to my students...also creative ways to get them interested and activities to take part in...not just here is a timeline, here are some dates...memorize...test...

message 24: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Another great book! I really enjoyed reading the story of this brave young man. He held his convictions strong and wanted to fight for what he thought was right. It was impressive that he was able to see all of the injustices his community endured at such a young age. He was not willing to live a life of lies that was expected of him. I admired his courage and strong values. Although he lost his life by fighting for his beliefs, it sends a great message to students to always stand up for what you feel is right!

This story could lead into some great discussions and writings on the impact of social media. Students could image all of their media was taken away from the government and how they would react. Students could choose something they feel passionate about and create a plan to stand up for their beliefs.

message 25: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Ami wrote: "Another great book! I really enjoyed reading the story of this brave young man. He held his convictions strong and wanted to fight for what he thought was right. It was impressive that he was able ..."

I think with everything that they see in social media...television...internet...this book is definitely a great platform on which to build discussions about the world today and what all happens in their own community....they can see the effects of social media on things that happen everyday and how it impacts peoples' actions and way of thinking...