RDG 6346 Summer II, 2016 discussion

What Color is My World: Th lost History of African-American Inventors

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
I hope you enjoy this great book!!! Very interesting and informative!!!

message 2: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments I enjoyed reading this book a lot. I was really interested to see what the book was about especially knowing who the author is...I think it was written well and shares a lot of references to present things that kid's can relate to like facebook, having a sibling who always goes against the grain, things like that. I can honestly say that I learned a lot reading the book...I was surprised to see many names that I was not familiar with...I think it is a great piece of literature that adds some variety to black history month curriculum and learning in general...

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments My son used this book last year (5th grade) a resource for a project he was doing for Black History Month. I enjoyed reading about the different inventions! I was clueless as to how certain things came to be and what a treasure it was to learn about this stuff. My son and I would read this book together and talk about the different men and their inventions. We would talk about what life would be like now if those things were never invented. No potato chips….GAHH... that is a scary thought! That was Logan’s inventor, George Crum - Potato chips.
This was a neat project for him to do. It involved the use of technology. He had to have reliable online sources for part of research. He had to put together a PowerPoint about Mr. Crum and he had to give an oral report.
Aside from learning about someone so neat, I think some of the most important things he took away from this project were his use of technology and practicing his speaking and listening skills.
This is something I could see doing in my classroom and it be incorporated into all grade levels.

message 4: by Joanne (last edited Jul 11, 2016 04:16PM) (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments This book educates, entertains, and inspires! I like how they included pages of Herbie's journal. The book clarifies that there is more to black history month than slavery, jazz, sports, and civil right marches. It discusses African American scientists and innovators. In addition, many African Americans were and are contributors to this day. This book could be discussed during black history month or anytime (biography unit) on African American innovators. Students can also pick an innovator from the book and discuss them in detail.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Ixtchel wrote: I can honestly say that I learned a lot reading the book...I was surprised to see many names that I was not familiar with...I think it is a great piece of literature that adds some variety to black history month curriculum and learning in general...

Ixtchel, I learned a lot from the book too! This book has become one of my favorites!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Garcia-Dominguez | 45 comments Stephanie wrote: "My son used this book last year (5th grade) a resource for a project he was doing for Black History Month. I enjoyed reading about the different inventions! I was clueless as to how certain things ..."

I enjoyed reading about the different inventions too. Students can have discussions of inventions that were invented in the past with inventions that were invented in the present.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Love, love, love this book for many reasons. The illustrations are beautiful and the meaning of this book is so important. Many black students know nothing about history of people who look like them because minorities are underrepresented in textbooks. It is important for them to know about black inventors because it inspires them to be great. This is not just a book for black history month but for everyday.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments I love the format of this book (especially the book flaps); I really enjoyed these when I was younger. I also liked the narrative and how it is intertwined with the inventions/history/fun tidbits about what the kids are interested in. However, some readers might find the work annoying and may think the ending is a bit too much.

I would have my students create an invention. There would be no monetary restrictions; furthermore, it does not have to plausible—it could be complete science fiction. I would demonstrate how many science fiction things that have been written about do in fact become reality. My favorite go-to example is of the "Ipad" in Ender's Game! I also think this book leaves room for us to have an open and frank discussion about current events and discriminations from our homeland and around the world.

message 9: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments Wow!!!!! Let me say when it comes to History Black History is always last on the list. I really enjoyed this book, so many of our minority students no little or nothing about their culture and heritage. their minds are incorporated with one nationality being the superior in everything, when actually it took all nationalities to make this country in which we all live in "AMERICA" I'm so glad Mr. Abdul shared the different inventions created by another nationality, this brings awareness to the students that they can become anything the strive to be despite where they come from. Good material for Black History month.

message 10: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments I agree with Victoria, the black student is being deprived of his culture and heritage, this book gives not only Black students but other nationalities hope and encouragement that when they grow-up they can pursue their dreams and become whatever they would like to be.

message 11: by Marion (new)

Marion Oliver | 33 comments I agree with Joanne this book does educate and inspire.

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Stephanie wrote: "My son used this book last year (5th grade) a resource for a project he was doing for Black History Month. I enjoyed reading about the different inventions! I was clueless as to how certain things ..."

That sounds like a great project and it is clear that your son actually took something away from the assignment. I think that incorporating the technology and the public speaking is so important for students.

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 45 comments Ixtchel wrote: "I enjoyed reading this book a lot. I was really interested to see what the book was about especially knowing who the author is...I think it was written well and shares a lot of references to presen..."

I learned a lot reading this book as well. I read part of it to one of my students in the clinic and she was very engaged.

message 14: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments I loved this book. I honestly had no idea about most of this stuff! It also shows that the shaping of our world has been as diverse as it is now. No invention could come about without lots of help. I also really enjoyed the parts that were written like the kids' notebook. I would love to use this as a resource for not only black history month but during any unit when we talk about inventions.

message 15: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Ashley wrote: "I love the format of this book (especially the book flaps); I really enjoyed these when I was younger. I also liked the narrative and how it is intertwined with the inventions/history/fun tidbits a..."

I love the idea of having them create their own invention! That always gets the class going.

message 16: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 47 comments Joanne wrote: "This book educates, entertains, and inspires! I like how they included pages of Herbie's journal. The book clarifies that there is more to black history month than slavery, jazz, sports, and civil ..."

Using this book as a resource for a biography unit is a great idea! So many of these people aren't even thought of most of the time

message 17: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments Victoria wrote: "Love, love, love this book for many reasons. The illustrations are beautiful and the meaning of this book is so important. Many black students know nothing about history of people who look like the..."

I agree! This is a great way to introduce innovators that students have never heard of! I can't wait to share this book with my students.

message 18: by Ami (new)

Ami Winkelbauer | 23 comments I really enjoyed this book! It was so interesting and entertaining. I am ashamed and sad that I have never heard of any of these innovators. I learned so much by reading this book and look forward to sharing it with my students. I am going to add this book to the biographies section in my class library. When we study our biography unit, I am going to encourage students to select an innovator from this book and share their knowledge by presenting their research projects!

message 19: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments This book is very informational and helpful for students to learn about African American innovators in history. I like how this book is full of information but it doesn't overload the students. I think this book is a great resource for students to have to use all year long. I was surprised how much I personally learned from this book. I will definitely add this book to my classroom library.

-Nickole Castillo

message 20: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Ami wrote: "I really enjoyed this book! It was so interesting and entertaining. I am ashamed and sad that I have never heard of any of these innovators. I learned so much by reading this book and look forward ..."

Ami,
I unfortunately haven't heard of many of the innovators in this book either. But that is why we have to show our students a variety of books and resources to open their world up. I am thankful for this class because we will get so many great ideas for our classrooms.

-Nickole

message 21: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments I loved this book!!!!! I think this a great resource to use in the classroom when talking about history. I love how this book talked about black inventors who we don't here about in our history books. It is very sad that I had never heard a lot of this information. I felt like I learned about the contributions of those that make who make up my ethnicity. I would have my students research a black inventor in groups and share what they found.

message 22: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 48 comments Tanner wrote: "I loved this book. I honestly had no idea about most of this stuff! It also shows that the shaping of our world has been as diverse as it is now. No invention could come about without lots of help...."

Tanner,
I like your notebook idea. I was really surprised at how much I didn't know about the African American Innovators. I definitely will have this in my classroom for my students to read at any time.

-Nickole

message 23: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Victoria wrote: "Love, love, love this book for many reasons. The illustrations are beautiful and the meaning of this book is so important. Many black students know nothing about history of people who look like the..." Victoria, I totally agree with what you are saying. I feel like I don't know much about black history because of the lack of what is being taught in schools.

message 24: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 38 comments Ami wrote: "I really enjoyed this book! It was so interesting and entertaining. I am ashamed and sad that I have never heard of any of these innovators. I learned so much by reading this book and look forward ..." Ami, I like the activity that you choose for your students, I believe that would be fun and a great learning assignment for them.

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Ixtchel wrote: "I enjoyed reading this book a lot. I was really interested to see what the book was about especially knowing who the author is...I think it was written well and shares a lot of references to presen..."

I agree-- it is highly relatable to adolescents! She is such a sassy, little thing!!

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 48 comments Stephanie wrote: "My son used this book last year (5th grade) a resource for a project he was doing for Black History Month. I enjoyed reading about the different inventions! I was clueless as to how certain things ..."

What an excellent project-- thanks for sharing!! I love that he had to have reliable online sources-- this is truly important to critical thinking!!

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Nickole wrote: "This book is very informational and helpful for students to learn about African American innovators in history. I like how this book is full of information but it doesn't overload the students. I t..."

I liked that the book didn't feel overwhelming. Logan and I loved reading it. I'm serious...thank goodness for the man that invented potato chips!!!!

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 35 comments Joanne wrote: "This book educates, entertains, and inspires! I like how they included pages of Herbie's journal. The book clarifies that there is more to black history month than slavery, jazz, sports, and civil ..."

This book was very educational. Logan and I had a great time reading it!! It was so much fun, that it didn't feel like he was doing a project.

message 29: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Stephanie wrote: "My son used this book last year (5th grade) a resource for a project he was doing for Black History Month. I enjoyed reading about the different inventions! I was clueless as to how certain things ..."

I for sure learned alot from it....I also thought of it as a great resource to have in the classroom...something that is kid friendly and shares information that my students could use to make a project about important figures or perhaps motivate them to create their own invention....

message 30: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 44 comments Victoria wrote: "Love, love, love this book for many reasons. The illustrations are beautiful and the meaning of this book is so important. Many black students know nothing about history of people who look like the..."

I think that the way the book is presented you don't even really feel like you are reading! It is like you go from fact to fact, person to person, and then you are just waiting to see what else those are kids are going to do next...the part with the cell phone was so funny to me! I even gasped....lol