Play Book Tag discussion

A Week in Winter
This topic is about A Week in Winter
Archive: Other Books > A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2305 comments A Week in Winter, Maeve Binchy's last novel, is a charming and familiar blend of colorful characters set in a country house hotel on the west coast of Ireland. It proceeds to tell the stories of its staff and guests. First we meeting Geraldine “Chicky” Ryan who fell in love with the wrong man and makes up a story for her family when she returns years later. She decides to purchase a historic house in Stonybridge, her home town, and turn it into a small and quiet hotel. She spends quite a bit of time preparing the house but she knows she's going to need friends and family to help her make it a success. Once we read the stories about Chicky and her close friends, we start those of the guests who have come to stay during the opening weekend.

I love the way Maeve Binchy writes and she succeeded in making me interested in every chapter and the characters it featured. She finished this book shortly before her death in 2012 and probably didn't have the time to edit it herself. I never felt there was a connection to an overarching storyline and it never coalesced as a novel for me. All the guests eventually leave knowing more about themselves. While not my favorite Binchy, it was a lovely journey and an enjoyable read. I'm sad that she is no longer with us but she left dozens of wonderful books to remember her by.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6658 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "A Week in Winter, Maeve Binchy's last novel, is a charming and familiar blend of colorful characters set in a country house hotel on the west coast of Ireland. It proceeds to tell the stories of it..."

I went through a huge Maeve Binchy stage. So many wonderful stories that always pulled at heartstrings.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6273 comments I really enjoyed this one.